“Value Plus!”

Ranked #62 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Winnipeg, Canada
“Value Plus!”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We were two couples who recently returned from a week's stay at the Hospitality Suites in Tempe/Scottsdale. We were not looking for luxurious accomodations; we wanted clean rooms, friendly and helpful staff, and a reasonable price. We found exactly that and more at the Hospitality Suites!

Who cares if the rooms aren't lavish in their design and accoutrements? We didn't spend a lot of time in the rooms anyway. The rooms were clean and included a fridge, hotplate and microwave. The pools were kept at 82F and there were three quadrangles of suites, each with its own pool. The staff went out of their way to be friendly and helpful. When we wanted directions to a point of interest, or golf course, they provided a Google Map printout as often as we wished. Whenever there was a problem, the staff responded within minutes to rectify the situation. Lots or people had small dogs with them; too bad that ours had to stay home.

The place seems to attract friendly people; we became good friends with several of the people who occupied the rooms near us. Free breakfast was served from 6 am until 10 am, and the food and selection were great! Every night from 5pm until 6:30pm was Happy Hour with free drinks of whatever you liked were provided and they weren't watered down. The Happy Hour patio was another place to meet new people whom we waved to or talked to throughout our stay. Not only did they pick us up at the airport, they also drove us back to pick up our rental later in the day of our arrival. When we wanted suggestions of things to do, or great places to eat, the staff were extremely helpful and efficient. I would highly recommend this place to people who don't need fancy art or decorations in and around their rooms.

Great work staff! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would go back without any hesitation! If you want pomp and ceremony, go some place else. If you want a lot of laughs and a pleasant holiday, try the Hospitality Suites!

Room Tip: Choose the ground floor of either quadrangle B or C. These areas are quiet and full of friendly peo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank jmatt_11
Georgene C, Director of Sales at Hospitality Suite Resort, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
You are very accurate in your description of our property! We are not fancy, but we are clean, friendly and affordable with a fabulous location and wonderful amenities. I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay and made some new friends! I hope when you come back you stay with us and when you do, please stop up to the office to say hello.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed February 13, 2013

This most recent visit to the Hospitality Suites Resort in Scottsdale was out forth stay at this facility over the past several years. This hotel has always represented an excellent value, but it is now starting to show its age.

Don’t get me wrong, it certainly not shabby or seedy. It’s still a great facility; it’s just that the carpets and furniture are showing the wear of several years use without an update. The two TV in out suite were both older cathode ray tube sets, which we have not seen in a hotel for several years, and the refrigerator rumbled all night. Still, everything worked, and the wear or age of the room was not significant problem.

The swimming pools(s) are great, and the evening complementary cocktail hour was super. If you book this room through the hotel’s web site the breakfast in the next-door restaurant is free. Use care if you book through a discount hotel site that free breakfast may not be included with your room. If traveling with family it is probably a better bargain to book with the free breakfast, pay only a few bucks extra and enjoy the perks of a free meal.

The wifi service is not too hot, as their server seems to go down frequently, and they automatically log you off every 45-minutes.

We continue to return to this location as it is very comfortable, really convenient to Sky Harbor airport, and there are MANY great restaurants within a few miles. Old Scottsdale is just down the road a short drive, as is Beckett’s Table Restaurant (super food). I am certain we will return, and I suspect that soon the Hotel will undergo a renovation. I just hope that when that update happens they don’t loose their charm or great prices structure.

Room Tip: Pay a few dollars extra for the Suite and get the separate bedroom and second TV.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
We are a Winter Bargain! And you are correct. We are in need of a renovation. As I have stated in other reviews we are in process of replacing linens...almost done as a matter of fact. TV's are next, but at this time we don't have a date for new carpet and furniture. When we do I will let you know. Thank you for your continued loyalty - we appreciate your comments, your honesty and you patronage.
Niagara Falls, Canada
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Stayed there the week of Jan 31 to Feb 6 . Rooms are dated but clean and the bed was very comfortable . Grounds are kept up ,the pools are maintained and the happy hour from 5 to 6:30 was are great way to meet new friends.The free breakfast at Jaxons was good ,however the evening at Jaxons for supper was less than pleasing as there was only one person looking after everything and the service was VERY slow,however once the food arrived it was good. We attended the Phoenix open ,were able to catch a bus right in front of the hotel that took us to a shuttle to the front gate.We also took a tour to the Grand Canyon that was booked through the front desk.The staff are friendly and willing to help

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Georgene C, Director of Sales at Hospitality Suite Resort, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
I am happy you enjoyed your stay and that the front desk staff was helpful in arranging your Grand Canyon excursion. I wish the restaurant had impressed you more – I know they need some work over there. I have had trouble logging on to tripadvisor.com the past few months, (which is why this response took so long), but I can tell you that the verbal feedback we’ve had recently has been better.

Thank you for your feedback.
Abbotsford, Canada
Reviewed February 7, 2013

We stayed there, for the Barrett-Jackson auction that was in town at the time. We booked thru Westjet Vacations, and i would say that our stay was average at best. I have health concerns, and cannot eat out every day, The "Free breakfast" and "fully equipped kitchen" was definitly a selling point. However.... when we arrived, the room we had, had a small bar fridge, and a hot plate. This is NOT a fully equipped kitchen! So they upgraded us to the one bedroom suite, then tried to charge us more for that room after 2 days. one quick email to the travel agent changed that in a hurry. The free breakfast was average.. but the staff were sketchy and seemed annoyed with their job. it was after all.. free food. The ground were well kept, and the pool was clean. I liked that there are BBQ's that guests can use. The Happy Hour was a great feature. Great way to meet people and mingle... and we met some fantastic people there (other Canadians to boot!)
I think an upgrade to the website and selling features of the hotel are in order, as a hotplate does not qualify as "fully equipped"

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
I agree with many of your points - for example some updates would be nice and breakfast should be better than average, free or not.

Upgrades are happening as I write this. With 210 rooms we have to work in sections.

With that said, it is possible that your travel agent failed in explaining to you that we have 2 room types. Our Studio Suite with a kitchenette, (2 burner hot plate, microwave & small refrigerator), and our One Bedroom Suite with a full kitchen, including stove top and oven and large refrigerator. We do not advertise, or claim that all of our rooms have full kitchens. Your travel agent sells each room type at different rates. The studio obviously sells for a less rate. You chose the studio when you booked and as there is a rate difference I imagine you were mindful of the fact that the room did not have a full kitchen. Nonetheless, I will concede that perhaps you were unawares as sometimes things slip by, especially when travelling. With that said, we never upgraded you without telling you about the upgrade fee and we waived that fee out of a professional courtesy.

I thank you for the observation of the restaurant staff. I will bring it up with the manager of the Jaxon’s. There certainly is no reason not to be greeted cheerfully when dining - especially at breakfast. It is after all, the most important meal of the day.

I am happy you enjoyed the happy hour and hope you met some new friends. Often guests meet other guests and coordinate there next visits at the same time.

Thank you for your review.
Oneonta, New York
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Our group of college students from Hartwick College, in Oneonta, NY, began and ended our two week long "Sustainable Public Policies in Arizona" course at the Hospitality Suites Resort. This family-owned property was perfect in meeting all of our needs. The suite rooms were clean, nicely appointed, and easily housed three students comfortably. Georgene in Group Sales went the extra mile to help us coordinate an on site setting where our students could make their final class presentations. The location is just fifteen minutes from Sky Harbor Airport, which makes it perfect for the long days of airport arrival and departure. Recreational facilities include nicely maintained swimming pools, a basketball court, two tennis courts, and ping pong. Several affordable restaurants are within walking distance, and the breakfast provided each morning is cooked to order. Highly recommended for families, extended visits, or groups needing a place to stay in the Phoenix metro area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the kind review. I am happy that everything went well for your group and I hope we have the opportunity to work with you again in the future.
Williams Lake, Canada
Reviewed January 26, 2013

When I was first thinking about writing a review I was thinking maybe 3 stars but that all changed after out last sleepless night due to heavy partying and loud drunks. Finally calling the front desk not once but twice with no action, needless to say I writing this on 2 or 3 hours sleep.
If your coming to Phoenix and you want to be loud drunk and smoke anywhere you want on this property, this is the place for you. There are no rules. The air conditioning didn't work so we had to have our windows open and the smoke was gross. Friday night jan 25 the partying went on all night. One group brought a house stereo and it vibrated until midnight when I guess they passed out. The party's went on unchecked until after 5 am and restarted at 7:30 am this morning. I am glad were leaving.
Our room was dated but clean. Couldn't get air conditioning to work after 10 it seemed. The grounds were dirty in my opinion. Since you can smoke anywhere (including tthe pool area ) there are butts everywhere, including some on the pool deck that we're there the day we checked in and there the day before we left.
You get free breakfast, well first impressions are everything and the entrance to jaxons was very dirty and was a first turn off. The food was sub par, weird textured eggs and cold toast that wasn't even buttered, bacon was good, yea it was free but for 4 bucks you can drive to Sunnys and have a great breakfast, needless to say we only had free breakfast once.
Free happy hour was fun the one day we went, it is a great way to meet people and mingle. The staff are a little slow in cleaning up after it, but again it was fun. The owner comes out and thanks everyone and that is great, but he should really take a tour of his property.

To the management, there has to be some rules. Some security quieting things down atleast after 11pm. Spend some money, and it wouldn't take much, to clean things up. Send the smokers to the parking lot or somewhere away from the building, or atleast find a way to get fresh air into these stuffy rooms without having to open the windows. Clean up Jaxons and fix the food. Even make it 2 bucks with the room something.
It is a very cheap holiday, 520$ tax in from Vancouver. I know you get what you pay for but it would not take a whole lot of effort to make this "cheap" holiday a very good inexpensive holiday.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Tbinder
Georgene C, Director of Sales at Hospitality Suite Resort, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Well first, I must say that I have not been receiving emails from tripadvisor.com notifying me that I have had reviews to review - my apologies for neglecting this. We are just coming out of our busy season and I decided to take a look on my own.

Next, unfortunately a lot of time has passed since your stay and I can't possibly address your multiple issues, but I will try.

Let’s start with comment about the noise and the drunks – typically we are a pretty quiet hotel. We have periods, like all hotels, where we have louder guests, or events in the city which bring a livelier crown and it may get loud. Judging from the date of your review you stayed with us either during the Barrett Jackson Auction, or the Phoenix Open during which we sold nearly all of our 210 rooms and it may have been a bit louder than usual. Our main building tends to be a bit louder than our back 2 buildings mainly due to the lobby traffic, foot traffic from the adjacent restaurant, and it is where we host our happy hour. However, should you advise our staff at check-in you prefer a quieter area one of our back buildings would be perfect. Now, with that said, that does not negate the fact that you called and the noise issue was not addressed. As I mentioned, we don’t typically have a noise issue, and I apologize for your distress over this and I am sorry you didn’t get any sleep – I don’t recall any complaints during this time being brought to my attention, but it’s been and few months, and I don’t really recall.

Regarding the smoking - I agree wholeheartedly. We actually attempted designated smoking areas when we first converted to a 100% non smoking hotel years ago, but found that a few smokers, not all, but a few, smoked where they wanted to regardless and simply left their cigarette butts on the ground. Therefore, we began placing ashtrays outside in designated areas throughout the property in hopes of minimizing the mess of cigarette butts -- with the exception of the pool area. Smoking is not allowed at any of our 3 swimming pools and there are signs which designate that. As you saw cigarette butts in the pool area proves what I mentioned about the few smokers I ignoring the signs, smoking where they want to and throwing their cigarettes butts on the ground. I am sorry for that. We do have housekeeping and maintenance check periodically throughout the day, but I do agree that we need to be more diligent about having it checked more frequently as it appears, at least during your visit, to be a problem. I would like to say that if you saw cigarettes in the same place 2 days in a row it’s because someone smoked in that area 2 days in a row. We hose down the pool decks daily and it is not possible for the butts to remain there for that long. Of this I am positive.

Concerning Jaxon’s Bar & Grill, I agree it’s not a 5 star restaurant and the breakfast menu is limited. I apologize your experience did not live up to your expectations. I personally have not had breakfast at Jaxon’s, and I’d be lying if I told you we did not have a few complaints, but they have fewer and fewer over the past year, so I like to believe that things are improving and our breakfast is getting better. I think the biggest complaint is the limited menu, but when you have 300 guests and free cooked to order breakfast, we have to keep the items limited to 5, or 6. Honestly, 80% of our guests are happy with the breakfast. Our in room comment cards come back with good – not excellent, but good.

Lastly, “Spend some money, and it wouldn't take much, to clean things up”, we have completed painting and adding new bedding to our main building, and have begun one of our back building just this month. By summers end we will have that completed and next we will be replacing our TV’s. We are spending some money.

Thanks for your review. I hope you give us another try - I recommend Building B.
Benton City, Washington
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Just got back home after a 4 night stay here. We have stayed in the past, enjoyed the hot breakfasts and tennis courts. But this stay was awful! Our room had a pull out sofa and a chair and also dining table. We had a separate bedroom. The furniture was sooo soiled and tacky, never mind outdated...We had to take the spare blanket from the closet to sit on the chair! And the breakfast was so bad...I guess the adage "you get what you pay for" rings true! They were out of the ham all four days we were there. The space between the end of the bed and the bathroom, is crazy small. Sorry, but no more for us. On a good note the staff are wonderful and the grounds are beautiful!!!

Room Tip: The water as others have stated is awful..bring bottled water!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rchevelle
Georgene C, Director of Sales at Hospitality Suite Resort, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Please accept our apologies. This is not indicative of our standard policy. Several times throughout the year we shutdown areas of the hotel to have all the carpets cleaned, ceiling fans, blinds, etc. steamed and furniture cleaned. Each room is deep cleaned several times throughout the year – it is an ongoing process. If our room was not clean it was likely do to a previous check-out and it somehow slipped through. This is not an excuse and it will be looked into. However, it will be appreciated if you could let us know what room you stayed in. Anonymously if you like. It is more than likely that we have already put the room out of service, but we would appreciate your contacting us if you don’t mind. Again, we are very sorry and we assure you this is not the norm for us. We know that we are an older property, but have always taken pride in the upkeep of our property.