“Hartwick College Group” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #61 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Oneonta, New York
“Hartwick College Group”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

Our group of college students from Hartwick College, in Oneonta, NY, began and ended our two week long "Sustainable Public Policies in Arizona" course at the Hospitality Suites Resort. This family-owned property was perfect in meeting all of our needs. The suite rooms were clean, nicely appointed, and easily housed three students comfortably. Georgene in Group Sales went the extra mile to help us coordinate an on site setting where our students could make their final class presentations. The location is just fifteen minutes from Sky Harbor Airport, which makes it perfect for the long days of airport arrival and departure. Recreational facilities include nicely maintained swimming pools, a basketball court, two tennis courts, and ping pong. Several affordable restaurants are within walking distance, and the breakfast provided each morning is cooked to order. Highly recommended for families, extended visits, or groups needing a place to stay in the Phoenix metro area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Georgene C, Director of Sales at Hospitality Suite Resort, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for the kind review. I am happy that everything went well for your group and I hope we have the opportunity to work with you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Williams Lake, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

When I was first thinking about writing a review I was thinking maybe 3 stars but that all changed after out last sleepless night due to heavy partying and loud drunks. Finally calling the front desk not once but twice with no action, needless to say I writing this on 2 or 3 hours sleep.
If your coming to Phoenix and you want to be loud drunk and smoke anywhere you want on this property, this is the place for you. There are no rules. The air conditioning didn't work so we had to have our windows open and the smoke was gross. Friday night jan 25 the partying went on all night. One group brought a house stereo and it vibrated until midnight when I guess they passed out. The party's went on unchecked until after 5 am and restarted at 7:30 am this morning. I am glad were leaving.
Our room was dated but clean. Couldn't get air conditioning to work after 10 it seemed. The grounds were dirty in my opinion. Since you can smoke anywhere (including tthe pool area ) there are butts everywhere, including some on the pool deck that we're there the day we checked in and there the day before we left.
You get free breakfast, well first impressions are everything and the entrance to jaxons was very dirty and was a first turn off. The food was sub par, weird textured eggs and cold toast that wasn't even buttered, bacon was good, yea it was free but for 4 bucks you can drive to Sunnys and have a great breakfast, needless to say we only had free breakfast once.
Free happy hour was fun the one day we went, it is a great way to meet people and mingle. The staff are a little slow in cleaning up after it, but again it was fun. The owner comes out and thanks everyone and that is great, but he should really take a tour of his property.

To the management, there has to be some rules. Some security quieting things down atleast after 11pm. Spend some money, and it wouldn't take much, to clean things up. Send the smokers to the parking lot or somewhere away from the building, or atleast find a way to get fresh air into these stuffy rooms without having to open the windows. Clean up Jaxons and fix the food. Even make it 2 bucks with the room something.
It is a very cheap holiday, 520$ tax in from Vancouver. I know you get what you pay for but it would not take a whole lot of effort to make this "cheap" holiday a very good inexpensive holiday.

• Stayed January 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Tbinder
Georgene C, Director of Sales at Hospitality Suite Resort, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Well first, I must say that I have not been receiving emails from tripadvisor.com notifying me that I have had reviews to review - my apologies for neglecting this. We are just coming out of our busy season and I decided to take a look on my own.

Next, unfortunately a lot of time has passed since your stay and I can't possibly address your multiple issues, but I will try.

Let’s start with comment about the noise and the drunks – typically we are a pretty quiet hotel. We have periods, like all hotels, where we have louder guests, or events in the city which bring a livelier crown and it may get loud. Judging from the date of your review you stayed with us either during the Barrett Jackson Auction, or the Phoenix Open during which we sold nearly all of our 210 rooms and it may have been a bit louder than usual. Our main building tends to be a bit louder than our back 2 buildings mainly due to the lobby traffic, foot traffic from the adjacent restaurant, and it is where we host our happy hour. However, should you advise our staff at check-in you prefer a quieter area one of our back buildings would be perfect. Now, with that said, that does not negate the fact that you called and the noise issue was not addressed. As I mentioned, we don’t typically have a noise issue, and I apologize for your distress over this and I am sorry you didn’t get any sleep – I don’t recall any complaints during this time being brought to my attention, but it’s been and few months, and I don’t really recall.

Regarding the smoking - I agree wholeheartedly. We actually attempted designated smoking areas when we first converted to a 100% non smoking hotel years ago, but found that a few smokers, not all, but a few, smoked where they wanted to regardless and simply left their cigarette butts on the ground. Therefore, we began placing ashtrays outside in designated areas throughout the property in hopes of minimizing the mess of cigarette butts -- with the exception of the pool area. Smoking is not allowed at any of our 3 swimming pools and there are signs which designate that. As you saw cigarette butts in the pool area proves what I mentioned about the few smokers I ignoring the signs, smoking where they want to and throwing their cigarettes butts on the ground. I am sorry for that. We do have housekeeping and maintenance check periodically throughout the day, but I do agree that we need to be more diligent about having it checked more frequently as it appears, at least during your visit, to be a problem. I would like to say that if you saw cigarettes in the same place 2 days in a row it’s because someone smoked in that area 2 days in a row. We hose down the pool decks daily and it is not possible for the butts to remain there for that long. Of this I am positive.

Concerning Jaxon’s Bar & Grill, I agree it’s not a 5 star restaurant and the breakfast menu is limited. I apologize your experience did not live up to your expectations. I personally have not had breakfast at Jaxon’s, and I’d be lying if I told you we did not have a few complaints, but they have fewer and fewer over the past year, so I like to believe that things are improving and our breakfast is getting better. I think the biggest complaint is the limited menu, but when you have 300 guests and free cooked to order breakfast, we have to keep the items limited to 5, or 6. Honestly, 80% of our guests are happy with the breakfast. Our in room comment cards come back with good – not excellent, but good.

Lastly, “Spend some money, and it wouldn't take much, to clean things up”, we have completed painting and adding new bedding to our main building, and have begun one of our back building just this month. By summers end we will have that completed and next we will be replacing our TV’s. We are spending some money.

Thanks for your review. I hope you give us another try - I recommend Building B.
Benton City, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

Just got back home after a 4 night stay here. We have stayed in the past, enjoyed the hot breakfasts and tennis courts. But this stay was awful! Our room had a pull out sofa and a chair and also dining table. We had a separate bedroom. The furniture was sooo soiled and tacky, never mind outdated...We had to take the spare blanket from the closet to sit on the chair! And the breakfast was so bad...I guess the adage "you get what you pay for" rings true! They were out of the ham all four days we were there. The space between the end of the bed and the bathroom, is crazy small. Sorry, but no more for us. On a good note the staff are wonderful and the grounds are beautiful!!!

Room Tip: The water as others have stated is awful..bring bottled water!
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank rchevelle
Georgene C, Director of Sales at Hospitality Suite Resort, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Please accept our apologies. This is not indicative of our standard policy. Several times throughout the year we shutdown areas of the hotel to have all the carpets cleaned, ceiling fans, blinds, etc. steamed and furniture cleaned. Each room is deep cleaned several times throughout the year – it is an ongoing process. If our room was not clean it was likely do to a previous check-out and it somehow slipped through. This is not an excuse and it will be looked into. However, it will be appreciated if you could let us know what room you stayed in. Anonymously if you like. It is more than likely that we have already put the room out of service, but we would appreciate your contacting us if you don’t mind. Again, we are very sorry and we assure you this is not the norm for us. We know that we are an older property, but have always taken pride in the upkeep of our property.
West Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

Older resort, but very well maintained with great landscaping. Good location with bus stop in front of resort. Transit proved to be excellent with very helpful drivers. We had a one-bedroom with kitchenette, loved it, enjoyed the hot breakfast every morning, good value for the price. We stayed one week on a Westjet tour package, however would love to drive down & stay longer on our next visit. Even the cooler weather was fine with us, kept us moving faster. Cocktails from 5-6:30 was fun! We would definitely recommend this resort. All in all, a very positive experience.

Room Tip: First level, one bedroom suite with kitchenette is great.
3 Thank Don O O
We are happy you enjoyed your visit in spite of the little cold spell we had this winter. I think many of our guests fared better than the staff during the dip in weather. We welcome you back on your next visit – thank you for your kind and honest review.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

Amazing value for money. Comfortable room, cozy pools for each sections of the hotel, basketball court and tennis courts looked great. Came for the Half Marathon, little less than 2 miles from the start this is the perfect location! They even have free cocktails at 5pm which I didn't get to try but good to know none the less. Fridge was a huge plus.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Gerland_vA
Thank you for review. We do offer a great value for the money and it’s very nice of you to share that with other travelers. Because of our ideal location, we usually sell out every year for the marathon. Please book early next year and don’t forget to ask if we are offering a discount for participants and spectators of the marathon when you book!
Grand Junction, CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stayed here due to wanting a hotel with a kitchen and the price was right. We did enjoy the hot breakfast every morning and when there was an issue, we called the front desk and it was fixed quickly. I would recommend this hotel.l

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank fdw12394
We are glad that you chose our property for your accommodations for your vacation and hope that you come back to stay with us again.
Fort Qu'Appelle, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Hospitality Suite Resort Jan. 8-15th. We were pleasantly surprised. After reading reviews, we decided to book, taking in the positive and negative comments. All I can say is that I would gladly return. The rooms were clean and well supplied with what you needed. Everything you would need to cook for yourself including the b-b-q's by the Happy Hour area. Outdated? Well, the T.V. wasn't so old that you needed to stand by it to change the channels. It had a remote and did the job. Watching T.V. wasn't the main reason for our holiday. Staff were pleasant and helpful.
The gounds were clean and well organized. Happy hour was a nice time to meet other travellers. The free made to order breakfast was more than what I expected, quick and tasted great. Check in and out was efficient, and the shuttle service was appreciated. A good location to some shopping and being close to a large grocery store where you could also buy bus passes was handy.
Jaxon's was a nice restaurant/bar. I had the biggest burger I've ever eaten, well prepared, tasted great, and big portions. The bus stop is right out the door, with access to not only the city transit but also the free Orbit bus service. We didn't make use of the pools or hot tub as the weather turned cold shortly afer our arrival, but those also looked clean. The cenral location was handy for shopping or area attractions. We booked through West Jet, a very affordable vacation. And yes, we are already planning a return stay and hopefully the weather co-operates for us the next time.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor over looking the Happy Hour area. It was a good room, close to stairs...
1 Thank Dar C
We are thrilled that you enjoyed your visit and thank you for the thorough, honest and kind review. I hope on your next visit it's a bit warmer and you are able to enjoy the heated swimming pools.