“This hotel have a manager? Old Town shouldn't mean old, soiled, and worn”

Comfort Suites Old Town
Ranked #57 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Only bright spots were Patricia working the front desk that weekend, Chuck in the breakfast area, and the fact we could walk to downtown Scottsdale very easily. Second, third, and forth the motion of previous reviewers regarding the uncleanliness of the place. Why?

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Condor J

Reviewed March 29, 2013

I come over for spring training almost every year and stay at this hotel because of it's location to the ball field. Over the past years I have noticed a decline in the property.
As fas as I can see the only improvement they have made to the rooms is installing flat screen TVs. The rest is still the same and now everything is showing wear and tear.
Old outdated furniture, chipped and worn. Pictures on the walls are dusty and old. The one good thing is the mattress, really, really comfortable, always get a good night's sleep.
I really noticed the hallways, elevator and staircases. The carpeting is dirty, stained and old, really needs to be replaced.
I also noticed housekeeping suffered. Carpet in rooms was vacuumed only where maid could easily reach, base boards were filthy in the light of day and the air conditioner unit air filter was so dirty I rinsed it off in the shower to get it clean. I looked under the sink and the fixture was so black and dusty I couldn't believe it.
Overall, I had an okay stay, but will most likely not come back next year unless serious upgrades are made and housekeeping gets down to business. They need to step up to meet the rate they charge. The hotel is really not worth what they are charging the baseball crowd.

Room Tip: Better view on the front side of hotel, other side is trash cans and retirement home.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
16  Thank a S
Holly M, General Manager at Comfort Suites Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Greetings from Scottsdale!

Thank you so very much for your feedback regarding your stay with us. While we are sorry to see that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us, we were honored to be of service nonetheless.

We do have some exciting upgrades that will be happening with the property, as we will have a new bedding package in place by the end of 2013. This will add a whole new level of beauty to our guest rooms. I do know that there are other projects that are being considered, but as of yet, I do not have a timeline for if or when these may be started.

Again, I do thank you for your feedback, and will continue to post responses with our updates as they happen! In the meantime, take care, and have safe travels.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

Thanks to all the employees at the Comfort Suites in old town! i have been staying here for past 8 years, when i come to giants spring training! I feel like everyone is family and have treated me the same! From my friend Sergio, to Pat and Chuck!!! AL the ladies and men that work to clean up after me! thanks!! see you again soon! Great place to stay!!! Thanks Holly!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Greetings from Scottsdale!

You are very welcome for everything! It absolutely was our pleasure to have you stay with us, and on behalf of the staff, we look forward to seeing you again soon. With a little luck, you will find some time to escape to Scottsdale before Spring Training next year - we will be here when you do! In the meantime, take care, and if there is anything you need, please do not hesitate to reach out to us!

Safe Travels!

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Soiled and dirty. What more can one say and one but wonders why the staff doesn't understand how to clean their rooms and all the rest properly. Hotel was slammed during the car auction season and I know that must be tough time to maintain things, but we were paying $169 / night for what looked like a Motel 6 inside. Couple of my compadres didn't really care but I certainly do and thought we were cheated to an extent. Humorous how the GM tells former guests to cal her, like the general public is now in the hotel resuscitation business, and involved in Basic Hoteliering 101. The dirt and grunge bothered me so much I was tempted to leave early. Hung out with the crew to the very end though. Never been so happy to get back to Texas. Liked the rest of Scottsdale a great deal.

11  Thank Elisio M

Greetings from Scottsdale!

I apologize that it has taken me some time to respond to you - I needed time to think about how I wanted to word this response, and I do thank you for your patience.

Working in a hotel is working in a customer service environment. As anyone who has worked in customer service can tell you, feedback from your customers (in this case, our guests) is very important. The goal of any organization is to continuously improve their services and amenities, and to strive towards excellence. For that reason, I welcome any and all feedback that my guests give me, be it positive or negative. Unless we know where our shortcomings are, we will not be able to improve. As nothing and no one is ever perfect, we are always striving towards that perfection, and making that our #1 goal. And in those areas where we do excel, there is always room for improvement, because again, perfection is the goal.

I thank you for your honest opinions of your stay here, even though you did not enjoy your stay with us. We do have some changes coming in the near future to the property, and we do hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Noticed a small clear acrylic award off to one side of the counter when checking in. This Pillar corporation owns over 300 hotels in the country, but more about that later.

Rolled over to Scottsdale for the Fiesta Bowl with a ton of family and friends. One of my cousins had stayed here years ago so it was assumed the stay would be flawless. What we found was that everything here needed to be upgraded and refreshed. Old, chipped, stained and outdated furnishings, ancient artwork plopped up on the walls, and a bathroom that was straight out of 1963. Dirty carpeting in both the rooms and hallways. Window glass was hazy and our little sofa had stains as did the desk chair. Overall not what one would expect for Scottsdale.

Find it rather interesting that Pillar, a multimillion dollar company, does not have the business savvy to recognize the potential of this particular hotel. More than obvious they haven't put any money into revitalizing it as of late. Another factor may be that the current GM is a brand new manager. Lack of experience might be a contributing factor as to why the hotel is suffering. Stephen the desk clerk confirmed this sentiment to a group of us after we asked why the place was so very rough in places. Other desk clerks were just OK. Girl in the morning by the name of Katise moved very slow and had an indifferent attitude.which we all found weird. Reckon if they hired a seasoned manager and had trained personnel in place everyone would feel a lot better about paying their rates. My recommendation would be to seek lodging elsewhere when in Scottsdale. Hopefully the powers-that-be in Dallas will wake up before it's too late.

Room Tip: Second floor was noisy but it was Fiesta Bowl Weekend. Stay away from the elevator.
13  Thank KickingBird O
Holly M, General Manager at Comfort Suites Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Greetings from Scottsdale!

On behalf of the staff of the Comfort Suites Scottsdale, we are very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We have been doing our best to keep the property up, though in spite of its age. While being a new manager to this property, I am not a new manager within the industry. I would love to speak with you further about your challenges, and I am sorry that I did not have the opportunity to speak with you while you were here. Please contact me at your convenience at 480-946-1111.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Group of us were in town some days for the Barrett-Jackson auction. Our reservations were messed up and a clerk named Christine attempted to rectify the problem, which took forever and a day. She seemed unconcerned about our circumstance as did the other clerk by the name of Chatrise. This second individual looked like a deer-in-the-headlights as we were checking in, but granted it was busy. Neither of them thanked us for our business on check-out.

Hotel itself is not too big which was good, but it's really worn in quite a few places. Carpeting was filthy in the hallways, stairwells, and elevator. Having house keeping or maintenance take care of this type of thing costs nothing. Room itself was OK. Slept well enough. Small bathroom with water pressure problems. Breakfast was the usual high carb nonsense. Coffee was decent however.

Looking over previous reviews I can't help but notice that the hotel manager Holly M. always claims that she "looked and I couldn't find your reservation", if a guest had a less than a stellar experience. Then the "please call me to discuss". Here's a couple of free tips Holly. Keep your hotel spotless. That means no visible filth. Hire competent people to work the front desk that won't crater under pressure and are professional enough to thank guests for their business. Encourage repeat business by showing that y'all care.

This hotel if ran right should be in the Top Ten Scottsdale on Tripadvisor... not down around Number 50. Make it happen and we'll return next year.

9  Thank King Gomez X
Holly M, General Manager at Comfort Suites Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Good afternoon Mr. Gomez,

On behalf of the staff of the Comfort Suites Scottsdale, we are very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I would love to discuss your challenges at a time of your convenience. Please feel free to give me a call at any time to discuss. 480-946-1111. As always, it our goal to exceed our guests' expectations during their stay with us. Thank you, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Christine at Comfort Suites, in Old Town provided excellent customer service. I called to see if they was room for two nights and was informed of only one room was left and for one night because spring training. I was called back 10 minutes later by Christine and informed of a cancellation by another party and two night stay was now available. This kind of customer service is rare these days!! H.G

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Holly M, General Manager at Comfort Suites Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Greetings from Scottsdale H.G.!

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to Scottsdale! We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and look forward to seeing you again in the very near future. Things can change so quickly from day to day, especially during Spring Training, and it always gives us a wonderful feeling to know that we helped make your stay that much more fun!

Again, thank you for staying with us, and we look forward to seeing you again very soon! Please let us know if there is anything that we may be able to assist with.