“Great Service”

Hilton Garden Inn Scottsdale Old Town
Ranked #24 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed April 24, 2008

We stayed at the Garden Inn Oldtown while my husband was on a business trip. It's location let me have things to do while my husband had the car. It really is just a block from Old Town, which has great galleries and lots of tourist junk. The free trolly is great.

The hotel is a business hotel but very good. We are HHonors Diamond members so we were upgraded to a suite, which was very nice, with a jetted tub and a very comfy bed. The pool is good, but not big. When I asked for an umbrella to be moved to where I was lying, they did it in two minutes. I asked for lots of information at the front desk and they always knew the answer and were so friendly. The breakfast was very good every day. We had free coupons but I think it is $10 without them. My only issue with the hotel was that it took them until quite late in the day to clean the room, but it was spotless when they were done.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank laragc
There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Scottsdale Old Town

Reviewed March 28, 2008

We stayed here for seven days on a Spring Training Baseball trip. The location is excellent, as we are directly across from Old Town Scottsdale. There is a free trolley if you want to go to the Fashion Mall, or just take a tour. The Giants baseball stadium is only 4 blocks away.
Our room was 2 queen beds, and included the microwave, refrigerator, and coffee maker. The internet access is complementary. There was complementary coffee and hot water for tea or hot chocolate in the lobby every morning, and complementary lemon aid and ice water every afternoon, and warm cookies every evening.
The breakfast was complementary for our tour group, and included made to order omelets, pancakes and waffles, in additon to the regular items. We really enjoyed this.
There is free parking both outside, and also an underground garage.
There is a large pool outside, and a jacuzzi.
We did not use the restaurant or bar in the hotel, as there were so many choices within walking distance.
I would definitely stay here again. I didn't notice any of the problems with the rooms as people from 2007 or earlier had mentioned.

• Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank Chris2Bike
Reviewed March 10, 2008

Disclaimer: My review is based on comparing this hotel to others in it's price/star range. I travel for work and the hotel cost is expensed, so I rarely am concerned about the room rate.

This was a 13 day business stay.

Overview: This hotel is in a great location if you're staying in the Phoenix area. There is a lot to do within walking distance of this property, as it is located in the Scottsdale arts district. Lots of fine dining (check out Bada Boom Pasta Room, Cowboy Choi and Dos Gringos, all of which have great food and a fun bar), lots of art gallaries and studios, lots of shopping. None of it is cheap. Scottsdale is pretty pricy but there's good nightlife here if you're looking for a break from the college scene in Tempe. The property itself is nice. Outdoor pool (and in Phoenix its open year round), nice patio area with covered tables (and the bar is right next to the patio). Excellent breakfast buffet (free for Hilton Gold/Diamond VIP). Lobby has plenty of room and a little snack shop for snacks, drinks and microwaveable foods. Check in was a breeze and through my Hilton Diamond VIP status I was upgraded to a junior suite. Gotta add that Hilton Garden Inn's are VERY good about upgrading VIP members of their chain if they're availiable.

Bars/Restaraunts: Hotel bar has a good selection of drinks and draft/bottle beers. Occupancy varies with the season I'm sure but ranged from dead to a medium crowd. I did not eat at the hotel except for a night or two of room service, which was fine

Room: Very nice. Upgraded to a junior suite so I had a fridge and microwave (always nice on a long stay). Two TVs (one in the sitting room, one in the bedroom), free high speed internet (which was actually operating at a decent speed). Bathrooms could use a little modernization but no real complaints. Bed, linens, towels all great. Room always cleaned very well.

Staff: From check-in to restaurant recommendations to housekeeping to getting me a few extra clothes hangers the staff was always great. I got in well past midnight on my day of arrival and the night check in guy was still friendly and even offered to help me carry my bags up since no bell staff was on duty that late. The weekday bartender (blond dude, looks mid 20's, forgot his name) is your best source of information on local restaurants and night life.

Other: Not much else to say. Hilton Garden Inn is consistantly a good choice. This hotel is about a 20 minute drive to downtown Phoenix (add 10 minutes for rush hour) but I think there is more night life/entertainment than downtown Phoenix except on nights when the Suns or D-backs are playing. Scottsdale seemed very safe, my travel partner on this trip was a tiny 100 pound Asian girl and she said she felt fine walking around the downtown Scottsdale area by herself at night.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank metsisme
Reviewed November 27, 2007

I find it hard to know what to say about this hotel - it was alright with a few peculiarities, I suppose. We stayed two nights; the room was a fairly good size, comfortable beds with linen sheets; a good sized bathroom. There is a nice pool, but don't expect a garden despite the hotel's name - there's a busy road alongside and irritating jazzy music plays continuously.
We ate in the restaurant on the first evening. We were the only ones there so it wasn't very atmospheric and the meal was (here's that word again) ok. We tried to get lunch at 1.30 the next day but it had already closed and the bar doesn't open until 4pm, so you're thrown back on the "pantry" which is little more than a large cupboard.
The staff are friendly, but they were nowhere to be seen when the alarm went off at 3am. Luckily I was already awake because of the party that was going on in one of the rooms overhead. Guests congregated at the rear of the hotel and one guest had the foresight to prop the emergency exit open, or we'd have been locked out. We had to decide for ourselves when it was safe to go back in. There was no apology the next day for this incident
and I had to complain gently but persistently to the manager before he did the decent thing.
We were allowed at late checkout until 2pm, and the hotel looked after our luggage for us until late afternoon. But when my daughter realised she'd lost her camera, the hotel staff were unable to check if it had been found in her room because housekeeping had gone home and locked their door.
The best thing about this hotel is the location. If you have to stay in Phoenix then Scottsdale is the nicest part to be in and the hotel is within easy walking distance of Old Town and the shopping mall.
So overall I can't excited by this place, but have no strong complaints.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank dragonmummy1
Reviewed November 5, 2007

Stayed here two nights and the rooms were large and clean. Hotel in walking distance from old town - there the good points end. First point - dont expect a garden, even given the hotel name and the fountain and water wall were broken. A random fire alarm woke us up at 3 am because a party was going on in another room. No apology, no staff, no explanation, very annoying, especially as we had a ten hour plane flight the next day and couldnt quite believe it after reading the other reviews here. My first thought on getting dressed at 3 am was - tripadvisor was right! Our key card to our room had to be replaced on three occasions. The restauraunt only opened between 11 and 1.30 for lunch - for real! So the next day met friends for lunch at 12 - only to be told that they dont serve lunch on a Saturday - jeeze! Not exactly what you expect from a central hotel in a modern city? Finally, what is the point of providing an outdoor hot tub that closes at 6pm in one of the hottest cities in the world?

Come on Hilton - get your act together. Would not stay again.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank jaybee846
Reviewed August 19, 2007

Called hotel and was able to get my company rate through phone call. Women was very nice. Hotel in great location near Old Town. Walkable to old town and restaurants and bars. Room was clean and quiet and no issues. Free parking. Good cookies !!! This is a Hilton Garden Inn, not The Conrad so the hotel is lavish, but Hilton does a good job of providing a room for all taste, you just need to choose the right level of Hilton service. Overall..... Good stay, good time !!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled solo
3  Thank SubwayScoundrel
Reviewed March 20, 2007

Arrived on march 15th. checked into room only to find out bathroom fan is loud and on 24 hrs a day, cannot be turned off. I asked for another room and was given one, same problem in all the rooms. The desk staff is young and really unattentive to clientele. Room itself okay, pool okay nothing special. The best thing is location but make sure you dont get a room facing indian school road as it is very busy and very noisy. I paid $180 a night so for sure not a cheap price.

Stayed: March 2007