“A nice, clean, friendly hotel”

Sleep Inn at North Scottsdale Road
Ranked #39 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 10, 2014

My husband and I stayed one night and we were very pleased. The area is very safe and we felt very comfortable. The rooms were a little on the small side, but very nice and clean. The bed was so comfortable. The staff were friendly. The breakfast was delicioius. The pool and hot tub were lovely. We could not have had a nicer stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the pub and grill next door.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Sleep Inn at North Scottsdale Road, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Dear 1Gypsy1,

Thank you for taking the time to write and submit a review of our hotel. It is our goal to provide our guests with the utmost in service, comfort, cleanliness, value and facilities, and I am glad we exceeded your expectations. I hope you will stay with us again the next time you are in our area.

There are newer reviews for Sleep Inn at North Scottsdale Road

Reviewed February 7, 2014

For nearly $200 a night I checked into this hotel with minimal expectations. It was not a pleasant experience right from the start. I was first greeted by the front desk who mentioned only one thing, which is the $75 damage deposit if I try to smoke or sneak in a pet (which is not required by most major hotels). This is my first time visit to a Sleep Inn and I had to confirm the availability of a complimentary breakfast.

The next major issue is the Wi-Fi. It works sporadically, which is extremely frustrating. The reservation (and I still have a paper proof of it if anyone wants to see it) mentioned that the room is equipped with wired internet connection. My room didn't have wired internet connection and the hotel manual didn't mention it either.

The room is one of the smallest that I’ve ever been in. It has no bath tub. When I was taking a shower, water spilled all over the place. The shower head was loose and if you change the shower head setting it’ll make it worst. After some effort I managed to secure the shower head without any water damages that the hotel might charge me with.

As for the complimentary breakfast it was quite minimal. I must say that the juice tasted awful. I don’t mean to be picky here or expect anything like the freshly squeezed, but when the orange juice doesn’t even taste like the Kool-Aid version of it that’s really bad. The apple juice tasted equally bad, but the grape juice tasted like something I enjoyed as a kid so I just went with color and sugar. By the 3rd day I saw some lady playing with the juice machine and she was sticking some Styrofoam bowls into the machine, obviously in an effort to fix something the old-schooled way.

In summary, this hotel is at a great location, which is the heart of North Scottsdale. It is fairly new and clean, and that’s about all I can praise. There were many minor issues but I don’t think I’m being unreasonable to point them out as this price comes with some minimal expectation, such as a working shower head.

At the end of the day it is all about value for your money. Other than being at a good location, this hotel offers little value for your money. If you are willing to be a bit further away, or to spend a bit more money, you could get much higher value for your money (e.g. Embassy Suites near I17 for ~$150, or Holiday Inn Express North Scottsdale for ~$130, or several Hilton’s near the airport for ~$220, just to point out a few).

I don't plan to return to this hotel again in the future simply because there many better choices. How this hotel can be rated this highly is beyond my comprehension.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank 4SL66
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Sleep Inn at North Scottsdale Road, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2014

Dear 4SL66,

I am very sorry you were disappointed with us during your recent stay and offer my apologies. I'm disappointed to hear of the unprofessional welcome you received and will use your review in discussions and training to improve our operation. I will also address the issues you noticed about our breakfast juices. We'd like to learn which room you were in (to fix the shower head immediately) and other details and hope you will contact us via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com at your earliest convenience so we can continue this discussion personally, and do what we can to make amends for your discomfort and dissatisfaction. I hope we hear from you soon.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

This is one of the nicest Sleep Inns that we have stayed at. The staff were excellent, the breakfast super, and we got lots of quiet sleep on the Christmas holiday. It is a little difficult to find, being away from the road, but also quiet. They have baggage carts available so it's one trip from the car to our room. We will use this again for sure.

Room Tip: Our bottom floor worked well. Several restaurants are near by within walking distance.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Sleep Inn at North Scottsdale Road, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Dear Germaniabeanie,

Thank you for staying with us and posting your nice review. We realize you have many choices when it comes to lodging, and we sincerely appreciate your business. It's always nice to receive compliments from happy guests, and I will share your remarks with the rest of our team here. We look forward to welcoming you back and serving you again.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

Great location especially for a budget hotel.
Front desk staff is as good as it gets. Attentive, friendly, they hustle and also act like doing a good job is important to them.
Breakfast is fine.
Rooms are clean.
Free shuttle within a 5 mile radius of the hotel but there are lots of things to do within a short walking distance.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank timmertoo
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Sleep Inn at North Scottsdale Road, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Dear timmertoo,

Thank you very much for your recent visit and for taking the time to post your comments and 5 star rating. It is always our pleasure to receive guest feedback especially when it is as positive as yours. We look forward to and welcome the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

We stayed here the first week of November, and it was our third time staying over the course of the last couple of years. The front desk staff is extremely friendly, the rooms are clean, the breakfast has good variety, and the location is great. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Sophia W
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Sleep Inn at North Scottsdale Road, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Dear Sophia W,

Thanks so much for returning to us and for sharing your comments. Its guests like you that make our jobs of providing excellent service and accommodations very rewarding. We really appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back and serving you here again.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

Quick stay and was looking for low $ and high ratings. I'd say this is a fine place to stay. I only had three things that were disappointing for room #141 and reported it to the front desk before checking out.

1-There was a sewer smell that might just not have been avoidable? Don't know, it was mild and not enough to switch rooms. If I was going to stay another night I would have.
2-the faucet dripped. I have ear plugs, so if you are a light sleeper, you'd hear it
3-carpet was scuffed/worn in front of the vanity.

But besides my issues, the place is comfortable, clean, new-ish (furniture/fixtures), wifi worked well and the breakfast buffet was fine. Bath towels were also good. Maybe the pillows could have been bigger.. they are the mini pillows a lot of places are switching to…..

I would stay here again. First time at a "Sleep Inn" and was satisfied.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Nice hotel in a great location. I enjoyed chatting with all of the front desk staff, they were all very friendly and helpful. For that I give kudos! :)

As for the hotel. I was a bit disappointed in the appearance of the carpet on the stairs and hallways. It is in terrible shape, badly worn and appears to be dirty? Also, our room although clean an comfortable was in dire need of a quality paint job. When I'd open the blinds one could see umpteen different paint patches on the drywall and ceiling. I certainly understand the hotel gets a lot of traffic thru there but for the price paid, I's expect a bit better condition. Other than this, its a nice place and the staff is awesome!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Sleep Inn at North Scottsdale Road, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Dear MAMA643,

Thanks for staying with us and sharing your candid comments. I'm sorry you were disappointed with the state of the carpet and paint in the rooms, and appreciate your compliments about our staff. We value your business and your input, which we will use to make improvements to our operation. I hope you will give us another chance to serve you here and that you will like the changes we make.