“Beautiful Property - they try hard”

Scottsdale Marriott at McDowell Mountains
Ranked #23 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed March 26, 2014

When we checked in at about 6 p.m. and they didn’t have the type of room we reserved. (2 queens) I felt so bad for the girl ( I think her name was Della) because she got so nervous to tell us she was breaking out in hives. We were kind to her as it’s not her fault. I’ve read several reviews where this has happened?? How does this happen?? I even called the day prior to confirm. We are Marriott gold which got us 2 breakfast buffets so for our inconvenience we asked for 2 additional buffets for our kids – she happily agreed and also offered to move us the next day. The bellman was so kind – helped with our luggage and offered us free valet for the night because of the room mix up. After going to the store and settling in we decided to just keep the king room and pull out sofa which worked fine. Balcony rooms looked great and also 1st floor rooms overlooking the golf course would be great. Our room overlooked the golf course and was so beautiful! (Yes planes were flying over and they are loud – only seemed to bother us the first morning) I actually enjoyed watching them fly over as long as I wasn't trying to sleep.

The breakfast buffet was good. Fresh fruit was great – omelets, waffles and eggs were made to order. The first day they really mixed up our egg order, but other days were fine. The line was very disorderly, not sure who already ordered, who’s waiting to order – who’s food just came out – could be better organized. Seemed they were always out of cottage cheese. Wait staff was really friendly but pretty slow (we were on vacation so not in a hurry). Loved the outside patio!

Pool was great – clean, plenty of chairs, plenty of towels, plastic cups and self-serve water. They had food and drink service on the weekend only. Otherwise you had to go inside to get food & drinks. The gal at the pool bar was the slowest bar tender I’ve ever encountered. She could not remember what you ordered, and would circle the entire pool asking who ordered this drink or that food or did you close your tab when I didn’t even have an open tab. It was distracting when you are trying to relax. Only one day my girls ordered 2 drinks; one strawberry smoothie, one mango. ($6 each) She made 2 pina coladas and charged them $9 each. HUH? She tried very hard and was friendly so didn’t want to give her a hard time. No one seems to mind if you bring your own food/drinks so that’s what we did.
Overall very beautiful property and would stay there again. Great location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the golf course - with a patio if possible.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank lovescolorado2

Reviewed March 26, 2014

Looking forward to this vacation and we get put in a room looking at a wall. Evidently out Marriott status is not high enough and we paid a blocked rate, so this is what we get. When making reservations, we did not get the bed situation we desired nor the correct duration of our trip. This place is no better than a motel 8. Stay elsewhere!

• Stayed: March 2014
Karen C, General Manager at Scottsdale Marriott at McDowell Mountains, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

papayaanne,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us. I'm sorry to hear that your Marriott Rewards status was not recognized. We sincerely value your loyalty to Marriott and will be working with the leadership of our Front Office to improve the items you discussed about your reservation information and room preferences. If you would like to discuss these issues further, please feel free to send me a message. Thank you for your time.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

What a nice Hotel. Located a little North of Scottsdale it sits on the TPC golf course. Very nice facilities, pool, lounge etc. Staff was extremely pleasant and eager to help (much like most Marriott Properties. Grounds were clean and the suites are decent size with up to date decor However, I do feel that it may be overpriced! 349..00 for a Sunday night is a bit much if you ask me.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 25, 2014

My wife and I recently spent a week at this property with mixed feelings. Overall, the property is nice, rooms are clean and it is convenient to the 101. Overall the employees are friendly, especially the morning hostess at the restaurant, but there were many inconsistencies that would not make me want to return. Specifically,
1. I have platinum premier status with Marriott and there was no recognition by the front desk, they were more concerned with validation credentials for the rate.
2. Restaurant servers were either great or absent, couldn't find one.
3. Omelette/Waffle station hit or miss, one cook was fabulous, the other was surly.
4. Housekeeping was timely but too aggressive, threw out a bag sitting on chair that I was going to use as a plane carry on.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank George G
Karen C, General Manager at Scottsdale Marriott at McDowell Mountains, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

gegogo, Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us. I'm sorry to heard that your Premier Platinum status was not recognized. We sincerely value your loyalty to Marriott and will be working to improve the items you discussed about the front desk and restaurant for future guests as well. If you would like to discuss further, please feel free to send me a message. Thank you for your time.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

Upon checking in, we had a problem with a requested room type that telephoned to the hotel a couple months ago. The Front Desk Manager (Sanika) eloquently handled the problem and made the situation correct.
During our stay, my daughter had a horrific migraine headache that was borderline with a potential trip to the emergency room. The Front Desk Manager learned of the problem when we requested additional wash clothes for the room and sent Advil from the store and bottled waters. We really appreciated the very polite and kind gesture. I am a real stickler for service and I really appreciate when I see a person that goes above and beyond to make our stay enjoyable. I spend over 110 nights a year in a hotel room and I can spot the good employees from the ones that won't show up next week. The Front Desk Manager (Sanika) is a standout employee and I sent the GM an email to thank her. I hope she gets a service pin.
I have stayed at the property for about 60+ nights in the past 2 1/2 years and glad to see the service levels consistently strong.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the TPC Golf course
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

Stayed recently for work, an the hotel was over booked. When I arrived, the staff was struggling to accommodate late arriving guests, in clouding myself. It was clear they were stressed, but they handled everything well.

Once in the room, I was pleased with the size and location. The decor is dated- not an issue.

Biggest problem was the constant barrage of planes landing- obviously, nothing the hotel can do. So, if the noise is an issue bring ear plugs. Otherwise, enjoy the stay.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Have stayed here 3 or 4 times and is always really nice. Relaxing pool area. Pretty scenery. Great breakfast buffet. Always have beautiful berries on that buffet and so delicious as well as a nice selection of other hot and cold breakfast foods. As a travel agent I would definitely recommend this place and the Marriott brand. Have never had a complaint.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple