“The rooms are great”

Ranked #19 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
“The rooms are great”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We were in the one bedroom suite are loved it . The room was nice and big, the hotel was beautiful. The staff was great and very welcoming. I think my family was spoiled by staying at Desert Ridge. The pool at McDowell was nice, but nothing like Desert Ridge, this is a giant rectangle. I was bummed that there wasn't food or drink service on the days I was there. I do love that McDowell doesn't force you to pay the resort fee. All in all, great rooms, great staff, good pool.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Kevin B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Burlington, Connecticut
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I have traveled to this hotel for the past two years for business. It is conveniently located to my client and also not too far away from the popular shopping and restaurant areas if you have a car. The rooms are very nice and spacious as they are small suites. It was more than enough room for me traveling alone and even with another person. The gym is also nice and there is a courtyard in the back that is very pretty. I think this is a great hotel for business travelers.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank 394ericab
Oakland, CA
Reviewed March 10, 2014

The rooms are suites, with the outer room being fairly small. The bathroom had both shower and bathtub, though the shower in my room was rather weak. A/C was fine. I have to say the Marriott beds are some of the worst in the business. Too soft, just not comfortable and the pillows are awful. But that's not particular to this place.
Lobby fairly below standard but not bad. The bar was good with a nice selection of wines and beers.
Close to the freeway, but far enough no noise in rooms. It is very quiet except for an occasional private jet landing at Scottsdale airport.
This definitely is not a romantic spot, not even close. Good for spring training or a golf weekend. The business center was composed of two computers by check-in desk. Staff, I must say, was excellent. For over $400/night I would stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool and not the freeway are quietest but unless on balcony cannot hear freeway.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Karen C, General Manager at Scottsdale Marriott at McDowell Mountains, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Dear kev1438:

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry to hear that your recent stay with us did not meet your expectations. It is our goal is to provide our guests with an excellent hotel experience. If you would like to discuss your stay in greater detail, please feel free to contact me directly. Thank you.
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Overall, this is a nice hotel. The suite layout gives lots of space and lots of natural light from the large window in each of the two rooms. However, this hotel uses a feather topper, feather pillows, and a feather comforter on their beds. If you are allergic to feathers, or natural down, you will not have a good night's sleep. On the positive side, the hotel has a comfortable back porch where you can eat, have a drink, or just sit and enjoy the sunset over the golf course. It is very close to the Scottsdale Airport, so beware if small aircraft noise bothers you. It starts at 6am. Wait staff in the bar/restaurant are very accommodating and friendly.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I've stayed at this hotel for a week in January of 2012,2013 and 2014. It is a wonderful property. Rooms are all suites and are quiet and lovely. The work out room and pool area are great and the restaurant and lobby are excellent. The highlight of this hotel, however, is the outstanding customer service (Linette is my favorite but they are all super) and the reason why I know I will be back for another week in Jan. 2015. You will love your time at this property!

Room Tip: Ppol view is especially pretty.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Karen C, General Manager at Scottsdale Marriott at McDowell Mountains, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear marsue1978,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. We highly value our guests and associates and take pride in providing outstanding customer service. We look forward to welcoming you back when you return to Scottsdale!
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I usually don't like the old Marriott Suites. I just never did like the room layouts which is probably one of the reasons that they never took off. They are not set up for working. You usually can't sit at the desk and work while you watch TV. This one is a little different in that it is more of a vacation hotel then a business hotel. It is on one of the two TPC Scottsdale golf courses (not the one that has the Waste Management Tournament). It has a nice pool area, a great patio for dinning. Like all of the old Marriott Suites, it does not have a concierge lounge, but as a Platinum they provide free breakfast. Breakfast was good to very good.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 23, 2014

This hotel is great however beware of property that you leave in the room it won't be returned. I left my ipad in the room and I called and told them exactly where I left it and they said they did not find anything. So mad at myself for not checking the room before I left. However not so comforting knowing that anything can be taken. If for some reason they call me to return it I will post to let you know.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Bridgettelinford
Karen C, General Manager at Scottsdale Marriott at McDowell Mountains, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Bridgettelinford, Thank you for your feedback. I am disappointed to hear that we were not able to locate the item for you. Thank you for your time and for bringing this to our attention. Our desire is to resolve this promptly for you. I have sent a message to you so we may resolve this for you.