“Nice big rooms!”

Ranked #17 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Goodland, Minnesota, United States
“Nice big rooms!”
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Only complaint is that I read lots of reviews about comfortable beds and our bed was far from that. We kept pulling out feathers that were poking us and the mattress was even too firm for my husband who usually prefers a firm bed.

Food was great in the restaurant, great patio, nice pool and hot tub...overall amazing experience.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Andrea B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Bailey, Colorado
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I am a Rewards Member so always like to book Marriott, and typically find things to be very good to excellent. I booked this hotel for convenience due to it being the location of my seminar.

I could very easily see that it was not originally built by Marriott--or if so it was a LONG time ago. I did hear however that it used to be something else and was bought by Marriott. (This comment is a compliment to the fact that their hotels are usually very appealing to the eye--this one only average).

Let me say here that there is no bellman for helping with bags and escorting to your room. That's fine, but for some reason I expected it (other Marriotts perhaps?) Yet I got my room at a very reasonable rate, so I had to figure that perhaps it would require a different price range to have that service. :-)

Marriott likes to use a typically contemporary decor in most of their hotels, and this one was no exception. Someone smart on the decorating team was trying to go with a Retro vibe--not my fav, but smart because there were architectural elements of the building/structure that looked very 60's.70's. The retro decor made it all look intentional. All that being said, it was very clean. Room service folks were excellent, but again, I must mention some experiences that weren't the usual stellar Marriott service I am accustomed to. First off, I never got another breakfast menu to hang outside my door for room service after using the first one. Also, I was told when making the reservation I would have a balcony but did not get one. When I called immediately upon entering and exploring my room, the front desk woman said they had none available. Then she checked further and said if I did change rooms for a balcony my choices were traffic noise or first level. As I was traveling alone I opted to stay put on the third floor with no balcony. (If I had been informed of this when I made the reservation in the first place it would have been easier to accept.).

The young manager was ever-present around the lobby, front desk, and restaurant. He was very attentive and even went into the kitchen to help cook at one point.

There is only one restaurant--basically in the middle of the lobby--which creates an odd ambiance. The food ranged from very good (scallops entree and hamburgers especially) to mediocre (fish tacos a little bland). Two of the 4 days I was there our wait for lunch was bordering on unreasonable for a seminar lunch break! Many of my cohorts raved about the steak salad. Bar staff VERY friendly, and wait staff rather bland. Did not get to enjoy the pool due to business, but it looked appealing.

The bed and pillows were extremely comfortable--one of the big reasons I love Marriott!

I will be staying here again for another work-related venture, and am not at all put off by that. I would go for those burgers again in a heartbeat, and maybe I will get to try the pool. The small size of the hotel is convenient too when it comes to going to and from meeting rooms and up to your room after a bar/restaurant visit. I could see this place as appealing to those visiting the plethora of office complexes in the area. PS there is an airport nearby but it wasn't too much of an issue.

Also, the valet attendant deserves mention--I guess there was two of them but the one was ever-present. His name was Charles. At first I thought he hovered a bit much but after a couple of days I got used to him. :) He was very polite and even offered to get my car that was parked in the non-valet lot to help me get out quickly. Very kind.

There really is no store in the hotel for supplies you might need/run out of--they have a few things, but not even hairspray, which I ran out of. There is a Walgreens about 10 minutes away, maybe more.

Paying for in room WiFi is silly,even with it free in lobby.

1 Thank Heather H
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 25, 2013

This hotel was wonderful. The only thing I's suggest is that if the weather is amenable, make sure you get a room with a patio. Also, be sure to bring anything you might otherwise need at a drugstore with you, their in-hotel "shop" is way overpriced (so are the drinks at the bar). Otherwise, great hotel! Highly recommend.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 19, 2013

After a week's stay here, I am already looking forward to a return visit. The hotel is gorgeous and the staff provides excellent service. The property is located in more of an industrial setting with lots of office complexes nearby except for the golf course which runs along the back side. I appreciated the fact that their van is willing to take you within a 5 mile radius of the hotel to dine, stop, etc. We enjoyed our suite with a view of the mountains. Their pool is very nice with plenty of seating and umbrellas.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Stayed for three nights at the end of July whilst on a work trip to the USA. The suite was spacious, the restaurant was adequate, and the location excellent with a golf course next door. Wi-Fi is complimentary in the foyer. Even though it's a long drive from Sky Harbor, the place works as a perfect venue for business trips. The palm court was a nice place to relax in the oppressive heat.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Sheffield, Australia
Reviewed September 13, 2013

We visited this property will touring down the west coast of the USA and we consider it to be one of the finest hotel at which we have had the pleasure to stay - and I mean anywhere in the world.

It is somewhat on the outskirts of Scottsdale but this has been turned into a positive by the immaculately designed and maintained grounds which offer shade and seclusion throughout the property.

Each room is beautifully designed and spacious to the extent they all feel like suites.

The staff appear genuinely concerned for your needs and there are always helpful, cheerful and professional.

The bar/restaurant provides excellent food and drinks with spacious indoor seating and an expansive outdoor/balcony dining area.

What a pleasure to stay at this property. My only disappointment was that I could not stay longer. The bonus is that despite the elegance of the property, it is very reasonably priced.

Visit - you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great location, easy to find. Service was excellent. Rooms were comfortable. Breakfast on property was lovely. Bed was the most comfortable I have ever experienced, pillows too!
Pool was refreshing and private.
Scenic views, golf course, mountains, breathtaking sunrise. Fresh air, solitude from balcony.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple