“OK resort in Scottsdale”

Scottsdale Marriott at McDowell Mountains
Ranked #22 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Cleveland, Ohio
“OK resort in Scottsdale”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This is relatively new looking resort relatively far from Old city or downtown Scottsdale. It is next to gold course and a very average swimming pool. It is close to Scottsdale Square which had some cool restaurants and shops. and few other malls.
Rooms: Impressive suite with relatively good size bathroom and front room. I didnot ahve amy problem with wifi ( should be purchased). In spite of 5 weddings at the hotel and Halloween party the weekend I stayed, the rooms were pretty quiet. I stayed at Southern tower second floor which was facing parking. i can see otehr room were facing golf course which is probably better, but It was not a breathtaking view to make a fuss about it.
Amenities: The gym was descent size. Pool was OK. ..and of course Golf course. Tehre was no car rental or bike rental , but the Hertz provide drop off car rental at the hotel till 6 pm.
There was a shuttle service providing 5 mile range. Withw eddings going on, there was not that much chance to use it.

Good stuff: The room was pretty good size, clean and neat. Good for business meeting. Not so romantic place, but was doing fine for events such as weddings.
Not so good stuff: Very far from the downtown or fashion mall.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Very nice hotel. Only downside was the Wifi. Too weak of a signal. Rooms are nice and the beds are very comfortable. Beautiful area. Nice breakfast buffet, with an omelette bar. Try to stay on the north side as there is a private airport on the south side and small planes are always coming in. It's not too noisy, but could get bothersome.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Mount Royal, New Jersey
Reviewed October 19, 2012

This is a very nice hotel. The rooms are huge with a sitting and office area where you can relax and get some work done outside the bedroom. The area around the hotel mainly a golf coure) is beautiful. Out the front door on the horizon is a beautiful mountain range. Theres also plenty of restaurants and activitites near by. I actually ordered roomservice both nights and it was very good. I was here for a work conference and the facilities were very good.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank mjlynch
Portland, Or
Reviewed October 2, 2012

This was the first time I have ever stayed at a full Marriott. I was given the corner room with a usable balcony that overlooked a courtyard. I found the room to be nice, and the bathroom was extra large with separate tub and shower. The shower was very nice, extra large with an excellent shower head. The bathroom floor was a little dirty when I arrived, some lint and a couple hair/dust balls, which I found surprising. I wish I had taken a picture of the shower, since there are none, but the posted photos are pretty representative of the hotel.

A lot of people have raved about the bed, and I would agree with that assessment. The bed was very nice, and I really liked the suite layout.

The morning breakfast was competitively the best part of the experience. It was a full fruit bar (blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, pineapple, oranges, banana, etc), a full continental setup, and to-order egg and waffle stations. However, the price was normally $20 per person and I would have gone somewhere else if it was not complimentary.

I used the exercise room nearly every day I was there and found it to have a good mix of free weight dumbbells and pulley machines. The treadmills were relatively new with built in flat screen TVs, but they did shake a lot when you got to the 7 minute mile range. There are trails and streets for running in the area, but during my stay it averaged 98 degrees during my running time.

Sadly the hotel was still under construction when I arrived. That was not a big deal to me because I was not planning on hanging out in the lobby. The biggest let down by far was the wifi signal. I routinely could not get a signal in my room, and when I did have one it was weak and sporadic. I believe I was on the edge of the routers range, and found it to be significantly stronger when I stepped into the hallway. The wifi was also ran by the "ibahn" system common to Marriott properties. I had to double approve the wifi at least once each day which was a little annoying.

I would probably stay here again if I was in the Phoenix area, but I would hope in a room with a better wifi signal. I really liked the property at night and found myself sitting on the balcony late into the evening, or walking around under the palm trees in the perfectly lit courtyards.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank nickleec
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I go to Phoenix for business occasionally and I always stay here if possible. I am a "Marriott Guy" and there are a ton of Marriotts closer to my destination. But, to me, this place is so worth an extra 10-15 minute drive. Service is great. Gym is fantastic. I will run outside usually when here because there is a GREAT park right up the road. The restaurant is very nice with healthy choices and a great outdoor seating are with an exceptional view. The rooms are huge and have a fridge. I love the separate sleeping area - feels like an apartment rather than a "room". Definitely a place I want to take my family sometime. The pool is great too!

Only con for me is the walk to the elevators/rooms can be quite long... Nothing they can do about that, but might be an issue for some. Pay attention when they tell you how to get to your room! :)

Room Tip: The view of the pool/golf course is incredible. The view over the courtyard is pretty good. The view...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank LKYI3
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I was looking forward to trying this hotel, however, the construction put a damper on things. Rooms nice, but lobby and restaurant down. Had the feel of a Super 8. Restaurant and lobby was cramed into what looked like a modified room. I would wait until construction is over before staying.

• Stayed August 2012
4 Thank travguru12
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed August 11, 2012

This was the first time I stayed at this hotel. The lobby/restuarant/bar were under renovation. I'm sure once that is complete it will be a much nicer experience. The rooms were fine and the staff was great but the "bar" located in a conference wasn't the best. once it is complete I would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012