“Overall Fantastic!”

Ranked #21 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Hinsdale, Illinois
“Overall Fantastic!”
Reviewed September 18, 2007

I booked a room for a girl's getaway weekend. We paid $189 a night. Approximately a week after I'd booked the room at $169, I received an email from the hotel asking if I'd like to upgrade my room for $20 a night. I decided to go with the upgrade. When we arrived at the hotel we found we were upgraded to the Canyon Suites. This is a separate building on the complex with it's own pool. It was fabulous. The service in the Canyon Suites building was on par with the best hotels throughout the world. The pool area was quiet and relaxing. It was just lovely. We had Sunday brunch at the Terrace which was also really lovely. However, the Windows on the Green restaurant was nothing special and a waste of money.

Stayed September 2007
3 Thank michellebarrett

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
Winchester
Reviewed September 16, 2007

We were lucky enough to be upgraded to a Casita which was very nice in a quiet part of the resort (probably because when we arrived a fountain was being removed from just behind the main building which would have been very noisy).
The people at the hotel were very helpful and friendly, especially the concierge service which was fantastic and organised some great trips for us.
However, there is a constant feeling of being ripped-off which is not pleasant. I've never stayed anywhere before where they charge $20 per day just to use the gym! That doesn't include any tuition or advice, just using the machines! This is outrageous. Similarly, if we'd wanted the fairly average half bottle of Merlot in the mini-bar, this would have been $42! The restaurants we tried (including breakfast) were also all over-priced without being in any way exceptional, so we ended up eating out nearly all the time, which is easy if you have transport, as central Scottsdale is only a few minutes drive away.
The other disappointment was the pool area. It looks very nice, but is in no way big enough for when the hotel is crowded, e.g. at the weekend. One pool is called the "Relaxation Pool", but there is nothing to stop people with small children using it, which is far from relaxing for everyone else - even though there is a family pool area not far away which had plenty of room.

Stayed September 2007
4 Thank SueandDouglas
Chandler, AZ
Reviewed September 8, 2007

My husband and I chose to stay at the Phoenician for our first anniversary. We had visited several years ago and really enjoyed ourselves, so I blissfully ignored all of the negative reviews. Big mistake! We booked a Grand Deluxe Stateroom, which is supposed to be the highest level of guestroom, guaranteeing a pool, lagoon or golf course view.

Check in is at 4PM, and we checked in at 5:10 on a Friday night. We were greeted graciously, wished a happy anniversary and given room #2140 in the main building. I had called in advance and had a long conversation with reservations at the hotel itself, and had explained to them that I wanted to stay in the main hotel this time so that I could enjoy the beautiful views that they offered. Well when we got to the room at the very west side of a long smelly hallway, we realized that the room was dirty, smelly, and overlooked the entrance to the parking garage, and where they park all of the golf carts used by the hotel staff, as well as the roof and some air-conditioning units.

I immediately called to get another room and this is when all courtesy disappeared on behalf of the staff. I was told that it was the last room in that category and that it had a golf view. I told them that I was standing on the patio and that I couldn't see a golf course, and I was told that on the 2nd floor you can't see the course, but that it was there. What? How can you call it a golf course view. When you don't have a view of the golf course? After near tears on my end, my husband begging to pay for an upgrade, a manager came out and suddenly a casita with a beautiful view of the lakes, pools, main hotel and camelback mountain became available.

Loved Windows wished we had eaten their twice. The Terrace was absolutely Terrible! Rented a cabana at the Mother of Pearl Relaxation pool. Was a deal at $75, we felt completely pampered. We stayed during off peak season, and would have left if this had happened at the high season rates. The Grande Dame of Phoenix is past her prime, but with the beautiful grounds, pools and championship golfing, I guess they and all of the reviews, AAA, Frommers, etc., feel that the quality of the guest rooms just doesn't matter. It really is a bit sad. We will not be visiting again.

• Liked — The pool cabanas
  • Disliked — Old guestrooms, all of the many, many service charges
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank CaliAz
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed September 3, 2007

This is a truly fantastic hotel – if you get the right room. We booked a superior room but as Starwood gold members got an upgrade to Canyon Suites with views of the swimming pool and Camelback Mountain as a backdrop. The suite was spacious, conservative but tasteful in decoration, some electronic gadgets were provided such as a Bose system for our iPod. Staff was extremely friendly and helpful, valet parking was free. I know that some regard the Phoenician as bombastic and over the top. I beg to differ: If they put you up in the Canyon Suites, it’s all the difference.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — climate (very hot in summer)
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
3 Thank DR_at_UZH
Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed August 30, 2007

I stayed at the Phoenician for two nights at the end of August and was rather unimpressed with the overall experience. While I understand that people define luxury differently, I feel this hotel has many obvious flaws that simply cannot be overlook if they expect to compete in this arena. The hotel itself is beautiful from the outside, the landscaping and Native American artwork were truly stunning. The service, with a few exceptions is beyond reproach. The maid service was impeccable, and I found the various food-service staff members to be personable without being annoyingly effusive. The front desk staff members I encountered varried in ability from totally vapid and inefficient to absolutley spot-on stylish and accomodating. Vinny, the day-time desk manager was especially polished and courteous, what a true luxury hotel agent should be. The first room I was assigned was totally unacceptable, dark and worn with a vew of the opposite wing of rooms and a gravel rooftop. I bipassed my original desk agent, went straight to Vinny, and was given a much more hospitable room. The public areas have very beautiful furnishings and light fixtures, but the floors/carpets are in deplorable condition. The hallway and room carpet was worn, stained, and raveling almost everywhere. The hallway carpets were dingy with a 1/2 inch wide dust strip along all the edges. The 5* Mary Elaines was serviceable for dinner, but not exceptional. The service standard far outperformed the cuisine. The downstairs Terrace Dinning Room is a very 80's chic (i.e. dated) restaurant serving underwhelming hotel food, but with a very obliging staff. This hotel seems to have shifted its focus to impressing conventioneers and suburbanites, the luxury travel set having already abandoned it. I wish my travel agent would have gotten the memo. On a bright note, we had dinner at Asia de Cuba in Ian Schrager's new Mondian Hotel. It was delectable, as were the service and drinks at the adjoining Red Bar and Sky Bar. Schrager still has his finger on the pulse of the new American jet set. Too bad the Starwood people have long since gone to sleep.

• Liked — General sense of earnest regard demonstrated by the staff
  • Disliked — Cleanliness and dated styling of public areas.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank VarsityStriker
New York, NY
Reviewed August 27, 2007

The hotel and the grounds were pristine. The artwork throughout the hotel was unbelievable (I wish I had taken the guided tour). The pools were beautiful and the cactus garden was quite unique. The room and bath were spacious and comfortable. The bath amenities were very generous. The surprise for us was that everything had an additional fee. $10/hour to use the internet, $20 to use the workout room and $26 for valet parking (that I almost paid until I learned I had the option to self park) are a few examples. The restaurants were priced similarly to high-end restaurants in NYC. This is more an 'expense account' or 'couples' hotel rather than a 'family vacation' hotel.

• Liked — The size of the room and bath.
  • Disliked — the fees for the extra services
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank dane2184
London
Reviewed August 27, 2007

On arrival at the phoenician we were informed that we had been upgraded to the canyon suites. The suite was large with 1 and a half baths, master bed, sitting area, office and dining area. We were on the ground floor and the only problem that arrised was that the turndown service often forgot to set up the sofa bed. We received complimentary tea and coffee in the morning and were able to make completely free phone calls. The pools were large and they were often completely empty. We used the pools at the main resort also. The food and drinks were expensive but the setting of camelback mountain compensated for this. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel. Even moreso since it was possible to feel relaxed in very nice surroundings and the kids were extremely kid friendly with noodle floats and volleyball and basketball net. Don't be put off by the bad reviews, we had an exceptional stay.

• Liked — The service which was fantastic
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank sunseekingtraveller
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsdale
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa

Been to The Phoenician, Scottsdale? Share your experiences!