My husband and I chose to stay at the Phoenician for our first anniversary. We had visited several years ago and really enjoyed ourselves, so I blissfully ignored all of the negative reviews. Big mistake! We booked a Grand Deluxe Stateroom, which is supposed to be the highest level of guestroom, guaranteeing a pool, lagoon or golf course view.
Check in is at 4PM, and we checked in at 5:10 on a Friday night. We were greeted graciously, wished a happy anniversary and given room #2140 in the main building. I had called in advance and had a long conversation with reservations at the hotel itself, and had explained to them that I wanted to stay in the main hotel this time so that I could enjoy the beautiful views that they offered. Well when we got to the room at the very west side of a long smelly hallway, we realized that the room was dirty, smelly, and overlooked the entrance to the parking garage, and where they park all of the golf carts used by the hotel staff, as well as the roof and some air-conditioning units.
I immediately called to get another room and this is when all courtesy disappeared on behalf of the staff. I was told that it was the last room in that category and that it had a golf view. I told them that I was standing on the patio and that I couldn't see a golf course, and I was told that on the 2nd floor you can't see the course, but that it was there. What? How can you call it a golf course view. When you don't have a view of the golf course? After near tears on my end, my husband begging to pay for an upgrade, a manager came out and suddenly a casita with a beautiful view of the lakes, pools, main hotel and camelback mountain became available.
Loved Windows wished we had eaten their twice. The Terrace was absolutely Terrible! Rented a cabana at the Mother of Pearl Relaxation pool. Was a deal at $75, we felt completely pampered. We stayed during off peak season, and would have left if this had happened at the high season rates. The Grande Dame of Phoenix is past her prime, but with the beautiful grounds, pools and championship golfing, I guess they and all of the reviews, AAA, Frommers, etc., feel that the quality of the guest rooms just doesn't matter. It really is a bit sad. We will not be visiting again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Phoenician is a luxury resort in Scottsdale, Arizona, situated on 250 acres at the base of Camelback Mountain. From May through September 2017, The Phoenician will be undergoing extensive enhancements to its signature public areas. During this time, the main lobby, front desk, pool complex, spa and select dining venues will be closed. These services and amenities will be available at alternate locations on the resort grounds. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Starwood, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your The Phoenician, Scottsdale reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Phoenician, Scottsdale Hotel Scottsdale
- Phoenician Hotel Scottsdale
- The Phoenician Hotel Scottsdale