“Quite disappointed”

Ranked #17 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Ponder, Texas
“Quite disappointed”
Reviewed August 2, 2007

I had heard how great this property was from other folks and so I was looking forward to my four night visit for a conference. I can't say I was impressed the entire time I was there. The only thing that was great was the friendliness of the front desk staff. Other than that it was like staying at any other hotel. The rooms were BELOW AVERAGE as there were stains on my carpet and the bedding was no better than staying at a Hilton Garden Inn or a similar hotel. They also charge $19.95 for 24 hour internet access which is a complete rip off so beware of that if you plan to use your computer. The food in the restaurants was average, nothing to write home about. In all, definitely not a place I would cough up big money for if I had to return to Phoenix.

• Liked — Friendliness of front desk staff
  • Disliked — High prices and nothing to show for it
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank TXBusinessTraveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (533)
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed July 26, 2007

No respect for SPG Gold Owner members either. What is the purpose of these loyalty programs if you don't get upgraded or even a basket of fruit! Comparatively, I think Marriott's program has alot more perks! I was there for a reward trip and would be sharing a room with another female. They knew way in advance that there would be two people in the room - but unfortunately, we had to share a king bed for two of our 5 night stay. It's a good thing we were friends. The food and service at the Terrace buffet for breakfast was excellent. Staff was relatively friendly. The ownership program folks are so snooty that they will look at you and decide that you are not up to par. Little to their knowledge that I'm in the market for a second SPG timeshare. Pools stay open late. Room was service was extremely speedy, hot and fresh! The classes at the gym seemed really fun though I did not partake. We rented 3 cabanas. I like how the pools have noodles readily available to float on. The food at the pool was good. Now the spa - I had a facial and a massage. Facial was good - and the aesthetician was really sweet. The massage - the masseuse was nice with over 20 years experience! Well, I think she needs a refresher course because it was pretty sad and quite lacking. I'd much rather preferred rubbing my back up against a hot rock in the desert. I asked my group about their massages with their masseues but only a handful really enjoyed it. The inside facility of the spa was nice but the jacuzzi area needed some maintenace. The water felt so dirty! I had been wanting to try this resort for a very long time but was a bit disappointed especially with a lack of regard for SPG members.

• Liked — the pools
  • Disliked — the snootyness
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank AtlantaMom77
Houston
Reviewed July 14, 2007

I stayed at this property for 4 nights just before the Independence Day Holiday. First of all the posititive. Great property with lovely grounds. My room was very nicely appointed and maintained during my stay. Also, I had a "spa day" and truly enjoyed this. Whilst pricey, the spa treatments were a real treat and well worth the expense

My main issue is that there was no recognition of my Starwood Platinum status during my stay. Moreover, I feel I was downright lied to. At check-in, I was told I was upgrated to a deluxe room due to my paltinum status. In fact I had booked a deluxe room through the Starwood Website. When I mentioned this, the clerk at check-in indicated that there were no Grande Deluxe rooms or Suites available. I accepted the deluxe room that I had booked. However, I later checked the Starwood website and it indicated that Grande Deluxe rooms and Canyon Suites were indeed still available for the duration of my stay.

I am particularly sensitive about this as a similar thing happened to me in the summer of 2006 at this property. In that case I booked a Grande Deluxe room....was told I was upgraded to a Grande Deluxe (which is what I had booked), and then told there were no upgrades available. Anyway, you get the idea. Seems to be the standard MO at this resort.

At check-out this year (admitedly at 3:30am), the process was very smooth. Whcn I went out to collect my car from the valet (whom I had tried to call unasuccessfully from my room prior to vacating), they were no-where to be found. Long story but the front desk clerk tried to get help get my vehicle. Finally, the valet guy was found asleep inside one of the resort vehicles. All in all, it took about 25 minutes to get my car at 3:30am.

All in all, a very average stay, Great Spa and a nice room. Extreme disappointment with check-in staff and valet. Starwood Elites should expect no special recognition here.....even during the slow summer months.

• Liked — The Spq!!
  • Disliked — Beling lied to at reception
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
5 Thank JuanchoIAH
Swarthmore, PA
Reviewed July 6, 2007

The hotel is beautiful and the service is unsurpassed. We had two rooms. One was in a casita and the other was in the main hotel. Both rooms were well appointed and luxurious. The hotel serves high tea and it was excellent. The food in the restaurants was also excellent. The grounds were well maintained and the spa was immaculate. The spa prices were a bit high but the services were outstanding. I will definitely return to this hotel.

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — a lot of walking
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Lynn23
NYC, NY
Reviewed July 3, 2007

My fiancee and I were in desperate need of a break from NYC. After looking at the Four Seasons & Royal Palms my friend who lives in Phoenix insisted on us staying at the Phoenician. He was right on the money.

It was the perfect place for both of us to chill out and take part in the activities we love. He played golf on their amazing courses everyday and took lessons with "Dan the Man". Highly recommend you ask for him at the pro shop. I retreated to the gym and spa. As a spa junkie I was really impressed. The Centre for Well Beging was awesome. Their meditation room was impressive and staff always with a smile and greeting with a sir or maam. As a Starwood Preferred Guest we were also upgraded to a Casita con gratis. The rooms are extremely large at 600 sq ft with 2 closets for clothing, an oversized dresser and sitting area. Not to mention a great patio/balcony with chaises for you to enjoy the view or a little sun while reading.

On to the restaurants we had tried several of the restaurants on the property and all were superb. Our favorite being Windows on the Green. We tried their tasting menu and were blissfully happy. We just couldnt decide because everything looked so good. This was the best way to get a taste of everything. And the Tequila White/ Dark chocolate desert was to die for. Also highly recommend the Terrace. Their Italian/Asian fusion was on point. It was also an amazing view to city the twinkling lights of Scottsdale and hear this adorable 2 person live band serenade you.

Next the service. The Phoencian's approach to service is perfect. All of the employees are helpful without being overbearing. Never did a question go without a correct and prompt answer. Nor did a request go unfulfilled. Check in was a breeze and our bell man Chad was nice enough to give us great tips on the properties amenities while driving us to our casita in a golf cart. Very sweet kid. Every restaurant, every poolside attendant, every golf club employee met you with a Sir or Maam. There is something nice about being greeted that way that makes you feel so good about spending your money here.

Lastly the Golf Course. This is from my fiancee :D All 3 of their 9 hole courses provide different challenges and all are beautiful. Just beware the rattlesnakes and Road Runners (no we are not kidding).

During the low Season July - August you can get championship level golf at municipal course rates.

With all that said we will definitely consider making this an annual vacation spot.

• Liked — The Pools
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AureliaEnt
Hawaii
Reviewed June 21, 2007

We just returned from a vacation in Scottsdale with our seven children and stayed at the Phoenician for part of our trip. It was not child friendly like the Four Seasons and I felt uncomfortable with our large family upon check in. We are used to getting stared at wherever we go since our family is so large, but I feel that most top notch resorts nowadays know how to accomodate families with children. The Phoenician was not friendly and welcoming toward us. The Four Seasons and Fairmont are better suited for families. Also, the rooms were shabby with stained carpets and were really dated. The pools were great for kids. We did walk through the cactus garden in the morning and a rattlesnake came out right by our feet which was terrifying, but not the hotel's fault. The breakfast buffet was beautiful but had very slow service. It took forever for us all to get omlets made. Overall, it's a nice place but better suited for couples or elderly people and rooms need a facelift.

• Liked — pools
  • Disliked — rooms
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank lanikaimama
tx
Reviewed June 18, 2007

We were so excited to stay at the Phoenician because it's (supposed to be) a 5 diamond resort and we heard great things about their "tennis garden." Boy, what a disappointment!

First, the good: Because it's off-season the rate was a fraction of what it is the rest of the year, but if we had to pay anything near full price... actually, we wouldn't have - we would have gone anywhere else because it's absolutely not worth it. The rooms are huge and the turn-down service is nice, but there's really nothing special about this place at all.

I never like feeling nickel and dimed, and cannot believe how much they do that to you here. It'll cost you $26 a night to valet your car, but they won't tell you (unless you ask) that you can self-park for free. If you want internet access, it'll cost you $20 for 24 hours. If you just want to print your boarding pass, you could go to the business center and pay $10 for less than 30 minutes, or $20 for over 30 minutes. Appalling!

If you want to use the fitness center, it costs $20 a day per person if you don't buy a spa service. OR, it's $25 a day per room and that comes with free local calls - so I assume you'd otherwise be charged crazy amounts for local calls. And really, it's just a regular hotel gym. At least the spa had an off-season special (buy one service and get the second at half price) but the spa itself is just ok - nothing like ones I've been to in Vegas, CA, or HI. 50 minute massage runs $150.

The tennis "garden" though - Unreal. Even though it was 109 this weekend - 98 in the shade - they still charged the full rate of $20 per person per day to play! The only deal (20% off) came from my USTA membership. We've played in Maui and Kauai with much better scenery for lots cheaper or free - I can't believe they (unapologetically!) charged that much! Of course none of the courts were being used (we're from SA and can take some heat) - it made no sense they didn't offer a tennis deal - they even suggested we use some nearby courts for free instead of the ones on the property we're paying to stay at! They'd rather see them unused, I guess. Just awful.

The pools are ok, but very blah and broken up by these metal sand-colored gates. Nothing special there either. Finally, the room is supposed to come with a CD of relaxing music, and upon check-in we found whoever stayed in our room before us took it (no doubt because they also felt gyped on everything else), so we called the front desk to be sure we didn't get charged (since the note clearly says if you want it, you can buy it in the gift shop). They said they'd promptly send up another, but didn't. Then the next night, I told the turndown service who said she'd get us another one and still didn't. It's not that I care about missing a CD, it's that the level of service simply wasn't there.

• Liked — big room
  • Disliked — feeling cheated
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
8 Thank TxMbr
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsdale
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Sanctuary Camelback Mountain
#1 of 5 in Paradise Valley
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,614 reviews
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa

Been to The Phoenician, Scottsdale? Share your experiences!