“Needs Freshening”

Ranked #18 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Osterville, Massachusetts
“Needs Freshening”
Reviewed April 11, 2007

We stayed in a Casita for 12 days. The resort is 19 years old and the grounds are lovely and the staff prompt and courteous. BUT. We were paying over $800 per night and getting a seat at the pool required leaving your book at 7am. Management has abdicated its control over the pool and it is a disaster when it is crowded. Mary Elaine's (their "primo" restaurant) was like a funeral. Very expensive, very tiny portions, very stiff service. However, it's closing so you needn't worry. The rooms need to be updated. New carpet, wall covering, flat screen TVs, and please, some towels that don't take half your skin off. This is a very above average resort, but at this level, not above average enough. If I was returning, I'd definitely book Canyon Suites. BUT I shouldn't have to.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Oville

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
northern traveler
Reviewed April 9, 2007

this hotel has the geatest service and food at the outdoor golf patio. DO NOT order room service for any reason and avoid the the outdoor and indoor bar food service. the morning lattes were dismal and sometimes unavailable! the food and beverage manager should probably pay attention to the happenings in his area of expertise!!!
(one additional comment: the executive general manager was prompt in addressing my complaint with a return call however he is not the food
man in charge!)Could I apply for the job?

• Liked — the golf facility and staff
  • Disliked — food food food!!!!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank pamatchett
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed April 5, 2007

Many of the reviews written already describe how expensive everything is and they are not kidding. I'm fine paying the price if the item or service is worth it, but in most cases at during my stay it was not. Spa is run down. $159 for 50 a minute massage which, they very clearly state, does not include a gratuity. I enjoyed the yoga and the meditation class (not normally a meditator, but I gave it a try) and those two would have been worth the $20 entry fee to the spa which feels silly when you are paying over $500 a night.

The room was on the small side and when we asked if we could pay for something larger (we had our five year old with us) they suites were sold out and they claimed every room on property had exactly the same layout. It seems everything is a hike to everywhere else.

They must have upgraded the bed linens as they were Frette or Frette-alikes. Matress was very soft and had a thick matress pillow and after the first night I woke up with a stiff neck that had me on the Advil all day (2 tablets in the mini bar are over $5 once you get through paying tax and the "restocking fee"). We were back and forth with housekeeping about the bed situation and finally, when they could do nothing, we took the matress off the bed and slept directly on the box spring, which, sadly, was more comfortable.

Make sure to self park. Valet is $25/day and they don't tell you, although it's written on your ticket if you read it. And you all read your valet tickets, right?

The hotel is certainly nice, pools and grounds are pleasant and the staff is very well trained, but I'd only go if you were getting a deal (we went spring break week, so deals were not available).

It was a poor value and I think it's unlikely we'd return.

• Liked — Pools
  • Disliked — Poor Value
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank Adzema
Las Vegas
Reviewed April 2, 2007

My husband and I just spent the weekend at The Phoenician. It was a great experience.

When we booked our spa package, we made the resort aware that we were celebrating our anniversary, arriving early, checking out late and are SPG.

We arrived and did check in early. Immediately we were upgraded to a gorgeous Casita suite -- which was an upgrade from the guest room package deal.

A golf cart took us to our room, while our car remained valet. I requested a higher-floor room and was a little upset with a ground-floor suite, but I was assured there was 24-hour security.

After settling into the room, we were brought complimentary champagne to celebrate.

The room was great. The toiletries were generous. The sheets were sub-par, although my husband thought they were fine.

The spa was great. The complimentary tea and fruit is delish. Our services were good. The staff was friendly.

The grounds are gorgeous. I was completely impressed with the pools (although we didn't spend time here) and the landscape.

We dined at The Terrace for lunch and had delicious burgers while sitting outside on the patio.

For dinner we ate at Mary Elaine's and it was spectacular! Due to our anniversary, dessert was complimentary and we left with complimentary chocolates.

Be sure to check out at the desk because we did find errors on our bill, but they were quickly adjusted.

All-in-all, we left with huge smiles on our faces and are looking forward to our next getaway. We are accustomed to luxury/the best of the best and this is right up there.

• Liked — Gorgeous grounds
  • Disliked — Rough bed sheets
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank long_career
Miami, Florida
Reviewed March 28, 2007

My husband & I went to the Phoenician for our honeymoon a few years back; we loved it so much we decided to go again and our stay the second time around was just as nice. The standard rooms are something like 600 sq feet and all have big balconies and big bathrooms. We are from Seattle so I love the heat - it was so nice to see the sun every day versus clouds and rain. Every morning before my husband woke I sat on the balcony reading the paper and enjoying the heat as much as I could! We had a view of camelback both times which we really liked because it was quiet and we could see lizards and other animals in the cactus gardens.

I love sitting by the pool and hearing the music in the background, they also have bands on the holiday weekends (not sure about the other non-holiday weekends). The staff by the pool is great and they did very well considering it was Labor Day weekend. They hotel arranges lots of things for kids like movies by the pool at night w/ popcorn, ice cream in the afternoon, laser lights on the slides, dance classes for the teens, it is just phenomenal. The grounds are also amazing and they have several paved walkways to go on a nice walk at night.

A few people complained about it being expensive but we were there during non-peak time. The 1st time we paid $175/night and the second time it was $199/night. I didn't find the food outrageously price. The Fashion Square mall is a few miles away and is definitely worth seeing! Tommy Bahama's restaurant is a drive but also worth going to.

The food at all the restaurants is very good - I highly recommend the prickly pear martini. I haven't been to the spa but have heard it is one of the best in the world. That will be on my list next time!

I would go here again in a heart beat!

Stayed September 2006
5 Thank pajebyenight
wp, ny
Reviewed March 15, 2007

I was at the Phoenician for a work function. It has great landscaping
and the campus is very nice. But I found that the level of service was not consistent. It seemed to really be exquisite and nice or completely nonexistent. In some instances, it seemed as though the person would bend over backwards. Other times, I would have to ask for something many, many times before I was even acknowledged.

The rooms are very nice, and the night time turndown service is a nice added touch.

• Stayed March 2007
3 Thank KirkcollmWp
Ft. Thomas, Ky.
Reviewed March 15, 2007

We attended a company sponsored event at The Phoencian in early March. The property is beautiful and well maintained. The staff is attentive and genuinely friendly. Hotel room amenities (like soap, shampoo, lotions) were spectacular. Great beds, towels, pillows and water pressure!

The food was good and servers were very personable.

I would highly recommend The Phoenician and will visit again in the future!

• Liked — Location and Service
  • Disliked — Nothing - it was all good
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank gtmFt.Thomas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsdale
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa
Paradise Valley
The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa

Been to The Phoenician, Scottsdale? Share your experiences!