“The Phoenician is Phabulous!”

The Phoenician, Scottsdale
Ranked #18 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Ft. Thomas, Ky.
“The Phoenician is Phabulous!”
Reviewed March 15, 2007

We attended a company sponsored event at The Phoencian in early March. The property is beautiful and well maintained. The staff is attentive and genuinely friendly. Hotel room amenities (like soap, shampoo, lotions) were spectacular. Great beds, towels, pillows and water pressure!

The food was good and servers were very personable.

I would highly recommend The Phoenician and will visit again in the future!

• Liked — Location and Service
  • Disliked — Nothing - it was all good
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank gtmFt.Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
Baltimore
Reviewed March 10, 2007

The moment we arrived our rental car was taken to valet parking, and our bags were taken for us immediately. Then we entered our room which had very comfortable beds, a gorgeous balcony, and a fabulous marble bathroom. Next, we ordered a delicous pizza from room service. Our week followed with execellent service and amazing food. Not to mention the golfing, swimming, and tennis, which were also fabulous. For trips to downtown Scottsdale, the concierge was quite helpful, and they provided us with great reccomendations. The Phoenician is a beautiful resort, mantained very well, and worth the five hudred + dollars a night. I would highly reccomend a trip to The Phoenician, the most luxurious resort Phoenix has to offer.

Stayed March 2007
4 Thank espeare923
Boston, Ma
Reviewed March 3, 2007

Went for business ...so, my husband and I had no alternative, really.
The conference was held on the grounds day and night. I had read reviews about the resort before going and I was certainly worried.

I actually didn't have any issues with the resort. We got there, checked into our room. It looked out into the parking lot. I called the front desk and while I waited on the telephone, the young woman quickly found me a room with a view. We never had to return to the front desk. Our keys then worked for our new room. It was lovely. Large, with a deck.

I thought the service was very pleasant, low key, not in your face.
The concierge recommended all sorts of interesting places to eat.
We took in some spa services. Pricey ($90 pedicure?!). I recommend the guided meditation. Rent a car.

Can't say anything bad about the place. Really in a beautiful spot. The hotel is well maintained. Our room was in lovely condition.

I am told that the Four Seasons and a few other places are just scrumptious.

But, yes, I recommend this. I don't golf, but people loved the golfing . There were also lots of families there with teens and young children. It was easy to get chairs and tables. And they said this was high season.

Hope this helps.

• Liked — Sat against stunning red Arizona rock
  • Disliked — the spa prices
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank KateOK
Pennington, New Jersey
Reviewed February 28, 2007

Over the top luxury, almost embarassing. Room (casita across from golf club) was large and well appointed. Bath was huge with 2 sinks on opposite ends, tub, large shower stall and closet in bath? Small patio helped too. Free parking available right next to room, otherwise $26 valet fee. Breakfast buffet by the pool was wonderful, although about $28. Service was always friendly and, for the most part, professional. Some attitudes to deal with, but overall very accomodating. We wanted to climb Camelback Mountain, and asked for a ride to edge of property so we could walk to the path which begins about 1 mile away from the lobby. No problem they said, wait for Manuel, he'll take you there, and they pointed towards the golf carts. Manuel showed up 1 minute later, in a Cadillac, and drove us to the base of the trail. He gave us his card, seeing the city slickers we are. One and a half hours later, we called him for a pickup, and he showed up within 3 minutes. That's service! Though everything went went well, it is a little over the top for me. It also seems a bit, for want of a better word, faded, like an old Las Vegas hotel. For less money, I liked the Biltmore better.

• Stayed February 2007
1 Thank RalphDeCesare
San Francisco
Reviewed February 26, 2007

I've stayed at the Phoenician about twice a year for the last fifteen years. I have stayed at the best hotels around the world and the Phoenician used to be one of them. It no longer is.

THE GOOD NEWS: I'm not a golfer but my brother in law is and he thinks the courses are amazing. The gounds are also huge and expansive and beautiful. And there is no better place to be during the day at the pool scene. However, even after all this, you come away feeling more ripped off than an Americna on spring break in Cancun.

THE BAD NEWS: If you have never spent much time in Arizona, you might be surprised at how incredibly cheap everything is. Well, you will be right at home at the Phoenician. Where do I start. The FOOD. It is just awful. The cafe, the only place you can grab some quick food is not quick, service is awful, and food is pathetic. I got a sandwich at the cafe and the side of pasta salad had four pasta shells. I'm not kidding. This is not to mention it took 40 minutes to bring me my sandwich and when it came the waiter said, "Sorry, we had to toast the bread." The food and service at the lobby bar/lounge might even be worse. My chicken fingers were raw inside. Remember my sandwich and pasta salad cost $17 and chicken fingers were $14. I am not a cheap person and have no problem spending money, so don't think that I'm one of those. I'm not. And you may wonder why I didn't eat somewhere else? That's becuase there is nowhere else to go unless you get in a car and seriously drive at least 2 miles. Another thing, when you pay that much money you think things like the gym and internet might be free. Nope, you walk in the gym to use the treadmill--$20 bucks. You connect to the internet for 30 minutes--$9.99. You decide you might want a 20 minute back massage--$your second child ($100 bucks). I'm a member of the Sports Club LA, the best gym in San Francisco and massages are less than that--and Phoenix prices don't exactly compare to San Francisco prices like I said before. Oh yeah, and the rooms. They are getting quite old (unless you stay in the Canyons (rooms are brand new, flat screen T.V.'s, just awsome!!)--only problem with this is it is a bit of a walk to the pool, and an even furthur walk to the gym). Last stay, ants started to infest our rooms (in the main building). We thought they liked whatever caused the carpet stains which are in pretty much every room in the main building.

LAST THING: In someone else's review they mentioned that the sheets and bedding was very cheap. That is the least of the Phoenicians problems, but I totally agree. Because she was a Starwood member, she stayed there for free so everything else about the hotel seemed just fine. This is what you do: stay at a Marriot Courtyard or something near the Phoenician for less than $100 instead of $500. I promise you that your room will be the same (unless you get lucky enough to get into the Canyons), service will be the same, and food will be better. During the day, self park your car in the Phoenician garage (saves about $40 in parking as if Phoenix was Manhattan) and hang out at the pool all day. Nobody will bother you about it whether or not you buy a $10 Pina Colada and $15 Hamburger.

• Liked — The grounds. Gym is good too.
  • Disliked — Food, service, and overall feeling of being ripped off.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled solo
6 Thank cwagner007
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 30, 2007

I have to agree with other reviewers, the spa is a total disappointment.
The grounds are very well kept and nice.
After check in I was driven around in a golf cart at 30-something degrees outside to my 'Casita' - try not to stay there, they are quite a walk away from everything.
The first room was not what was confirmed, the second room had plumbing issues and faced a wall! We then got upgraded to 'pool view' . The room was nice and the bed comfortable, but overall the hotel does not live up to the 5 stars. Service & amenity wise.
Food was very good, but the service was terrible. We guess that they just recently lost most of their managers, as staff was running around headless and it took forever to get our dinner served.
overall wasn't terrible, but definitely not 5 star - and if you want to enjoy a wellness weekend: don't go here!
I also felt nickel'd & dimed: every holiday inn express at a fraction of the rate is offering free wireless internet: $20 for 24 hours is just outrageous or $7 + tax for 30 minutes!
the minibar detective is coming twice a day to make sure charges are applied, but refills occur only once... weired.

The best way to enjoy the Phoenician is by not staying there, but go visit the nice lobby and grounds and enjoy the High Tea in the main lobby - really really nice and well done. Don't forget to make reservations!

Stayed January 2007
6 Thank Teutonflyer
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed January 29, 2007

We stayed one night as a getaway after visiting relatives in Phoenix. We booked using Starwood points, so the stay was "free" (including taxes, a wonderful deal). We are Starwood Gold so asked upon check-in if there were any upgrades available (a Gold perk) and were told we had already been upgraded to one of their suites.

It was in the Canyon building and sounds like the same type of suite that the person 1 or 2 reviews below had (so I won't repeat the amenities, it is called the Canyon Hospitality Suite if you want to see it on their website) - it was just lovely, view over the golf course, had fun watching the waterbirds and rabbits. Really lovely suite.

Service was great - they have a person who stands in the lobby to greet you and answer any questions. We were there on a Monday night when Mary Elaine's was closed, so asked if we could go look at it - he literally stopped what he was doing, and took us on a Grand Tour of the hotel - into conference rooms and private rooms (many being set up for the evening meals), he tried to take us to rooms on every side of the hotel so we could see every view, pointed things out to us, very nice.

We ate dinner in the Terrace, their "2nd best" restaurant...it was a delicious dinner, great service, and what I liked the most was the piano player (and the OTHER piano player in the Thirsty Camel lounge - really liked the soft entertainment as we drank and ate). Since there were so many conferences at the hotel that day all the regular public areas were practically empty, even though the hotel was sold out that night.

We happened to be there January 22 when it was SO COLD in Phoenix, so we didn't get to enjoy any of the pools (it had even snowed a day or two before).

So what's my complaint? It might sound petty to some, but one thing that (to me) sets fine hotels apart from average is the quality of the bed linens...I just love the feel of very expensive sheets (e.g. Frette or similar). These sheets were quite ordinary. Sounds stupid but it's important to me. I also like a coffee maker in the room - it was a hike to the main building just to get a cup of coffee that was cold by the time you walked back to your room. BUT...the Canyon Building did have coffee set up in the morning starting at 6 am, so that was a nice touch.

We were disappointed that the weather didn't allow us to swim, but all in all it was truly a lovely getaway...I don't think I would pay their high prices to stay there, but for an award stay, and considering we got such a nice upgrade to the beautiful suite, it was just the perfect relaxing night we needed.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Warmwinds
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsdale
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa
Paradise Valley
The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa

Been to The Phoenician, Scottsdale? Share your experiences!