“Beautiful place, terrible staff and service”

The Phoenician, Scottsdale
Ranked #18 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Mystic, Connecticut
“Beautiful place, terrible staff and service”
Reviewed June 25, 2010

I had my wedding here in April. There is plenty of staff here that try to make your stay as comfortable as possible, but maybe it's because the staff is so large that some of them feel like they can get by on treating you poorly because they work for such a big hotel and they'll just fall into the mix.

Grounds:

The hotel is beautiful. It's the most beautiful hotel/resort I have ever been to. Everything was in bloom in April and our wedding pictures are exploding with Arizona spring colors. It was gorgeous. Some of the staff was awesome as well- Megan at Oasis is an angel, and the guy who made sure everything went smoothly at the reception was amazing (so sorry I can't remember his name). The food at the reception was wonderful and surpassed my expectations. Everything was prepared beautifully and exceptionally well.

Golf:

My husband arranged a golf day for himself and 5 others in his group. I was not there, but from what my husband told me, the golf guys did not prepare the guests' golf cart, the guests loaded it themselves. Also, the guests were only given one small bottle of water each. Hello- this is Arizona, it's a desert. When the guests asked for ice (the ice machine nearest to the golf area was being cleaned), the golf guys told them to go get it at the cafe. That's not 5 star service, and the Phoenician is supposed to be a 5 diamond resort. This was very disappointing. There are so many golf resorts in Arizona, this is the last time my husband and his guests will golf here.

The Valet:

There is a lack of organization and communication with the valet staff. There is no system here- you get someone when you get someone.

Oasis Cabana Grill:

Megan who works as a server here is so gracious and friendly. She was amazing. My husband's family hung out here the whole week they were here. Great pool area for kids, quiet pool for adults.

Oasis Grill and Phoenician Management:

I have, however, a HUGE complaint about the Oasis/Phoenician management. My husband and I were married on a Saturday. We were NOT at the pool at any point during this day. For some reason, our room was charged for over $500 from the Oasis Grill. At no point did anyone from the Grill call my room to get authorization to charge my credit card this amount- they just did it without my knowledge or consent.

Weeks after the wedding when I went through our credit card bills, I noticed this large, strange amount. I called the Phoenician and they told me it was for a cabana and miscellaneous food and drinks for the day my husband and I were married. "That's strange", I thought- we weren't even at the Oasis Grill that day. I asked for receipts and the guy I talked to was very responsive and sent them to me immediately. The receipt he sent, however, did NOT include a signature page. I know I didn't sign anything and neither did my husband. I called back to ask if they had this signature page.

After 2 days, I received an email from the assistant manager of the resort who asked me to call her back. She stated that there was an error, I shouldn't have been charged. She also asked if I know who Mr. X was. I told her I did, and she responded that the charge should have went to him, she doesn't know why it didn't. She then told me TO CALL Mr. X and ask him to pay his bill. Nowhere in this conversation did she apologize for the UNAUTHORIZED use of my credit card for over $500, instead, she wanted ME to fix the Phoenician's mistake- and she didn't ASK me to do it, she basically told me to do it. Is common courtesy a thing of the past? Is it completely outdated to be communicative in a professional manner? I responded by telling her calmly that I don't feel like it is my responsibility to call Mr. X on the Phoenician's behalf. This woman said okay and got off the phone, not a word of apology, not a "have a nice day", nothing. I should also comment that I had not in the two conversations I had with her raised my voice or acted unprofessionally (it was a business transaction, after all). I've learned a long time ago that you don't get what you want by acting like a brat. And I wasn't a brat, so I don't think I deserved the kind of treatment she gave me, especially when I spent so much money at the Phoenician for my wedding, had my guests book rooms there for several days, and especially when it was their error.

The Short Story:

I'm very disappointed and since the Phoenician probably doesn't really care if I'm happy with them or not, the best I could do is review the resort with the added warning: watch your credit card statements after you stay here because your credit card on file at the hotel IS NOT SAFE. I repeat at the risk of sounding obnoxious, but $500 is a lot of money: YOUR CREDIT CARD IS NOT SAFE HERE.

I wish I had LOVED the Phoenician, but ultimately, the resort is only as good as its staff and management.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MPKeller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
El Paso
Reviewed June 17, 2010

After a not so pleasant stay at the W Times Square, i was reluctant to book the stay since it was the same corporation.
i will do this quick so i dont bore, if the facility is not brand new, the up keep is great and the grounds are amazing, however, after traveling the United States, Central America and Europe, and beeing lucky enough to stay at Meridian, Four seasons, Mandarin Oriental and many more, the people at The Phoenician made all the difference.
This is the first stay ever in which i NEVER, saw less than the most polite and accomodating staff, i am talking reception, restaurant, bar, pool, everywhere!
Lets face it, almost everywhere you may encounter a polite person but with less than a full tank of fuel in pleasing. Not at The Phoenician, not one instance where we felt less than 100% effort!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this review, June 29, 2010
Thank you for your kind comments regarding The Phoenician staff. We are so very pleased to hear you experienced exactly what our AAA Five Diamond property is all about -- service. Our Associates are genuinely committed to providing each guest with a memorable stay -- which is truly a team effort, from the time of arrival, through to departure. Thanks again! We hope to welcome you back soon!
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed June 3, 2010

This has to be one of the best hotel stays that I've EVER had - from check in to check out, these people are flawless. Even when the toilet overflowed and flooded the bathroom, the staff responded immediately and had it fixed and cleaned up in no time.

We were assigned a Casita in a building next to the pool slide - this made my 6 year old VERY happy. And even though we had self parking outside our door, the bell staff drove us and our luggage to our room in a cart and the valet drove and parked our car outside our room and delivered our keys to us.

George, the pool attendent, was the best - he remembered our names and greeted us name each day. He took care of making sure we had everything we desired - water, food, etc. When a waiter couldn't be found, he'd go get one. His performance couldn't of been better! And the slide area was the best I've come across - NICE shaded area around the bottom of the pool slide for parents to relax so no sunscreen even needed.

When I wanted a fish sandwich in my room, which I had tried earlier at the poolside restaurant, room service figured out what I wanted and went and got it for me even though it was not on their menu or served by their restaurant. Now that's SERVICE!

At the spa, the massage was decent and my six year old was welcomed in the massage room with me since the club for the kids was closed.

Overall, this was the best hotel experience I've ever had! This is what staying in a 5 star hotel SHOULD be.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this review, June 8, 2010
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your Phoenician experience. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your Five Star/Five Diamond stay. Our associates are committed to making that personal connection with each and every guest to create a visit beyond expectation. We hope to welcome you back again soon, so you can savor that fish sandwich once more, and your 6 year-old can spend another full day at the waterslide!
Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed May 24, 2010

I just returned from my stay in Scottsdale at The Phoenician. I have to say, my travel agent couldn't have made a better recommendation. My friends and I took a much needed girls getaway to relax, and relax we did! The weather was beautiful and the pool area was awesome. My favorite part was the fact that the staff brought us pitchers of ice water and it was never empty. Drinks and food were very good... a little pricey, but that's what you'd expect at a AAA-Diamond resort, so we knew what we were in for. I thought our deluxe room would have been a bit bigger, but all in all it was very nice and we had a great view. One thing most would like, but being an independent person I really didn't was the fact that we had to call for ice whenever we needed it (yes I know... the torture :). I recommend the Mac and Cheese at the Terrazo restaurant. Very yummy. I'd also recommend taking the opportunity to climb Camelback Mountain. It's right behind the resort, and about a 20 minute walk to get to the trail. I'd at least climb halfway up to see the great views of the city and a view of The Phoenician from above. We had an amazing trip and we'd book this resort with our friend (and travel agent) at Fox World Travel again and again for a nice little vaca.

Illinois
Reviewed May 20, 2010

Spent four nights at the hotel recently. The first two nights were for business and the second two for fun. As far as providing an excellent place for a business conference the Phoenician did a perfect job. Not to far from the airport, easy check in check out. Lunch out under a tent, meetings in a room that was large but not so large as to loose any sense of intimacy, dinner back out under the stars, a great venue. I have included pictures of the grounds and my really spacious suite and from them you will see its a very pretty setting, lots to do or not to do. A great setting.
But that is not why I titled this review "excellent".
It is the people that make this resort great.
During the second day of our stay we got word that our daughter had been in a car accident. Nothing horrible but she was shaken up. As were we being so far from home. The next day the General Manger went out of his way to find us and ask how she was doing. When we asked how he knew, his response was perfect, and I believe is the mantra for all the staff...it was 'his job to know'. For the next 72 hours many staff greeted us by name and asked of our daughter's well being.
In a short review I can say that staff can make a nice facility pretty crummy or staff can make an 'ok' facility seem great. In this case the Phoenician offers both great facilities and a really great staff. They have earned our respect and we will return.

Tampa Bay, Florida
Reviewed May 2, 2010

My husband and I were at the Phoenician for a business meeting. We loved the grounds, the rooms and the service. The planned dinner was wonderful. I had a great massage by Stacy at the spa. The resort was all we expected.

We found some time to hike the Camalback Mountain which is walking distance from the hotel. It's a straight up hike with great views.

We ordered room service the morning we were leaving. We had 2 bagels and lox, a pot of coffee and 1 orange juice. The server brought a toaster and toasted the bagels in our room! He set a nice table with cloth on our patio, which was lovely. We were pretty shocked when it was time to pay the bill.... $70! Luckily it was a business expense.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this review, May 12, 2010
We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. It's the little touches, like the toaster being brought to your room for your bagels, that define AAA Five Diamond service, as well as The Phoenician. We hope to welcome you back for a vacation in the near future!
San Ramon, CA
Reviewed May 1, 2010

I booked a long weekend Sat- Mon, at the Phoenician using 12,000 Starwood points per night in April when the weather is absolutely perfect! It was just after the Spring Break crowds had left and it was pure heaven. You can valet park or self park for free.

Check-In
The check-in was speedy and I love Daniela Ilieva at the Front Desk. As a Platinum member I was upgraded to a very large Grand Deluxe room (4196) with a huge balcony. The Main Building has 6 floors and the rooms at the far end are bigger have the large balconies.

The Platinum Thank You amenity (chips, salsa and bottle water) was quickly brought to my room, as was the luggage. The mini refrigerator was already in the room, as I had requested it ahead of time. The service at this resort is excellent. Complimentary shoe shine, if you want.

Note: bottle water is not provided free in the room, but you can get it, no charge, from the concierge or down in the Fitness Center ( they have fruit there too). I love, James, the resort ambassador who greets you at the door. There is also free coffee in the morning until 9 am at Il Terrazzo Di Luce. I was surprised and disappointed that the water and coffee was not in the room as it is in most domestic Starwood hotels (one reason it did not get Excellent rating from me).

Room
The room was huge with king bed, gigantic flat panel TV, sofa + 2 chairs, desk and balcony with lounge and table + 2 chairs. I was told the bed was a Westin Heavenly bed ( very comfy) and the bath towels were so plush! Two closets, mini bar and large bathroom with Remede toiletries...really in heaven now ( valued at $40.)! I love that the room had a bathroom scale, but unfortunately, this one wasn't working. Magazines in the room to read or take to the pool. Turn down service between 6-9 pm with chocolates.

I asked for a DVD player and at first they said it was for a fee, then the next thing I know, they brought one up and installed for free! Also, since there was no coffee maker, I asked for some hot water to make tea and they delivered with a nice cup/saucer, cloth napkin and spoon at no charge. Everyone is so friendly and wanting to help make your stay enjoyable.

Amenities
There is a Business Center/Cyber Cafe with one free computer near the lobby and fax/copier. There are other shops here, (florist, women's fashion, general store, wine/beer, souvenir) but were all closed when I walked by.

Disappointing was the Centre for Well Being spa...it looked dated and in need of remodel (also why it didn't get Excellent rating). The free Fitness Center appeared to be well equipped (has a scale) and there was a room for classes.

Two acre Cactus Garden is along the north edge of resort grounds and is very interesting to stroll through.

Restaurants
I did not eat at any of the restaurants, but the Il Terrazzo patio is beautiful this time of year and they have a Sunday Brunch from 10 - 2:30 pm at three courses for $35. and $10 more for traditional American breakfast buffet. Afternoon tea in the lobby appears to be very popular, open daily at 2 pm. The highlight of the resort is world renown Jean-George Vongerichten's J & G Steakhouse.

Pool
The Oasis pool is the main pool with a children's pool and whirlpool. There is a 165 foot water slide for kids and young at heart. Mother of Peal pool for adults overlook the Necklace Lake filled with beautiful koi, ducks and one turtle. Cabanas are available for rent. The one turnoff was there was alot of bird dropping on the lounge chairs and weren't cleaned off daily. I got home and bird dropping on my clothes, etc...gross. Needs to be some improvement in this area (definitely not getting an Excellent rating for this)!

Activities
Funician Kids Club is supervised program for ages 5-12. Family Activity Center with movie theater, video game room, air hockey, foosball and board games. 27 hole golf course and 11 court tennis complex.

Nearby is the Fashion Square mall with many of my favorite stores, such as Antropologie, Macy's and upscale designer store, such as, Jimmy Choo, Louis Vuitton, Gucci and Barneys New York. There are many restaurants and my favorite Paradise Bakery, love the spicy Southwest Chicken Caesar salad! Also a movie complex.

Overall, this resort is very nice with excellent service and good location ( love Fashion Square). It is very relaxing and I would return again, but there are alot of other great places in Scottsdale, like the Westin Kierland (I like the Kierland Commons next door) and Fairmont Scottsdale Princess (best spa experience yet).

Check out the photos from my stay:

Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank SusieJue
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your stay with us. Your Facebook photos are beautiful! We have noted your concerns and will be discussing with the appropriate departments. We are happy to share with you the news that we have recently purchased new cushions for the lounge chairs at the pool. Our goal is to make each guest feel special, welcome, and that they belong. We're glad to hear that this was your experience.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsdale
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa
Paradise Valley
The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa

Been to The Phoenician, Scottsdale? Share your experiences!