“Relaxing stay with excellent service”

The Phoenician, Scottsdale
Ranked #21 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed May 1, 2010

I booked a long weekend Sat- Mon, at the Phoenician using 12,000 Starwood points per night in April when the weather is absolutely perfect! It was just after the Spring Break crowds had left and it was pure heaven. You can valet park or self park for free.

Check-In
The check-in was speedy and I love Daniela Ilieva at the Front Desk. As a Platinum member I was upgraded to a very large Grand Deluxe room (4196) with a huge balcony. The Main Building has 6 floors and the rooms at the far end are bigger have the large balconies.

The Platinum Thank You amenity (chips, salsa and bottle water) was quickly brought to my room, as was the luggage. The mini refrigerator was already in the room, as I had requested it ahead of time. The service at this resort is excellent. Complimentary shoe shine, if you want.

Note: bottle water is not provided free in the room, but you can get it, no charge, from the concierge or down in the Fitness Center ( they have fruit there too). I love, James, the resort ambassador who greets you at the door. There is also free coffee in the morning until 9 am at Il Terrazzo Di Luce. I was surprised and disappointed that the water and coffee was not in the room as it is in most domestic Starwood hotels (one reason it did not get Excellent rating from me).

Room
The room was huge with king bed, gigantic flat panel TV, sofa + 2 chairs, desk and balcony with lounge and table + 2 chairs. I was told the bed was a Westin Heavenly bed ( very comfy) and the bath towels were so plush! Two closets, mini bar and large bathroom with Remede toiletries...really in heaven now ( valued at $40.)! I love that the room had a bathroom scale, but unfortunately, this one wasn't working. Magazines in the room to read or take to the pool. Turn down service between 6-9 pm with chocolates.

I asked for a DVD player and at first they said it was for a fee, then the next thing I know, they brought one up and installed for free! Also, since there was no coffee maker, I asked for some hot water to make tea and they delivered with a nice cup/saucer, cloth napkin and spoon at no charge. Everyone is so friendly and wanting to help make your stay enjoyable.

Amenities
There is a Business Center/Cyber Cafe with one free computer near the lobby and fax/copier. There are other shops here, (florist, women's fashion, general store, wine/beer, souvenir) but were all closed when I walked by.

Disappointing was the Centre for Well Being spa...it looked dated and in need of remodel (also why it didn't get Excellent rating). The free Fitness Center appeared to be well equipped (has a scale) and there was a room for classes.

Two acre Cactus Garden is along the north edge of resort grounds and is very interesting to stroll through.

Restaurants
I did not eat at any of the restaurants, but the Il Terrazzo patio is beautiful this time of year and they have a Sunday Brunch from 10 - 2:30 pm at three courses for $35. and $10 more for traditional American breakfast buffet. Afternoon tea in the lobby appears to be very popular, open daily at 2 pm. The highlight of the resort is world renown Jean-George Vongerichten's J & G Steakhouse.

Pool
The Oasis pool is the main pool with a children's pool and whirlpool. There is a 165 foot water slide for kids and young at heart. Mother of Peal pool for adults overlook the Necklace Lake filled with beautiful koi, ducks and one turtle. Cabanas are available for rent. The one turnoff was there was alot of bird dropping on the lounge chairs and weren't cleaned off daily. I got home and bird dropping on my clothes, etc...gross. Needs to be some improvement in this area (definitely not getting an Excellent rating for this)!

Activities
Funician Kids Club is supervised program for ages 5-12. Family Activity Center with movie theater, video game room, air hockey, foosball and board games. 27 hole golf course and 11 court tennis complex.

Nearby is the Fashion Square mall with many of my favorite stores, such as Antropologie, Macy's and upscale designer store, such as, Jimmy Choo, Louis Vuitton, Gucci and Barneys New York. There are many restaurants and my favorite Paradise Bakery, love the spicy Southwest Chicken Caesar salad! Also a movie complex.

Overall, this resort is very nice with excellent service and good location ( love Fashion Square). It is very relaxing and I would return again, but there are alot of other great places in Scottsdale, like the Westin Kierland (I like the Kierland Commons next door) and Fairmont Scottsdale Princess (best spa experience yet).

Check out the photos from my stay:

Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank SusieJue
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your stay with us. Your Facebook photos are beautiful! We have noted your concerns and will be discussing with the appropriate departments. We are happy to share with you the news that we have recently purchased new cushions for the lounge chairs at the pool. Our goal is to make each guest feel special, welcome, and that they belong. We're glad to hear that this was your experience.

There are newer reviews for The Phoenician, Scottsdale

Reviewed May 1, 2010

I'll say up front that it is not my usual style to stay in 5 star resorts when I vacation. For business trips, I like 4star, and abroad I'm a fan of bed and breakfasts or even hip hostels.

However, there's a very good reason to stay at a resort in a desert climate: you want a fun pool environment. The Phoenician was absolutely excellent in this aspect, as well as pretty much everything else. The staff was very friendly and professional, willing to go that extra mile.

We got a double upgrade to a casita. These are the units to stay in....not only did we have a pool view, but rising just above it was Camelback mountain. I chose to get the ground floor so we could just walk right out onto the grounds for an easy stroll to the pool complex.

Food:
Poolside service is great during the week, as there are much less patrons. You'll wait longer on the weekends, but nothing to complain about. The kobe burger was EXCELLENT. The ice cream parlor was perfect for a low-key breakfast and other snacks. I didn't eat dinner at the restaurants, as I wanted to check out the Scottsdale scene.

Pool:
Multi-level pool complex. The upper decks are active, and even have a basketball hoop. Mid-level has a beautiful Mediterranean tiled spa with pools and waterfalls. Lower level is the mother of pearl star pool, meant for serenity and quietness. I really loved this setup.

Grounds:
The grounds are immaculate. Since this is the desert and there are numerous water features here, naturally you will hear a lot of animals. Countless birds sing at the pools, and there are many bunnies hopping around.

Room:
Spacious and beautiful. Had a large bathroom with a vanity and separate closet with a walk-in shower. The soaking tub was a bit shallow for my taste. The linens are top quality and the room is decorated in very neutral tones. As this is a top resort, of course everything is an add-on: no coffee maker, no mini-frig (well there is, but it's full and sensored). You even are supposed to call room service for ice! This isn't necessary though, because a portion of the service closets aren't locked where you can get your ice.

Spa:
This will be a separate Yelp review. But I was very happy.

Value:
Our special rate for the room definitly makes me feel the value was very high for what we paid. The casitas I say again are the place to stay in this resort. You are steps away from your car (private parking), have a view of the mountain and pools, and you don't have to walk through lots of hallways to reach other parts of the resort. This was a fantastic experience, much better than my stay at JW Marriott at Desert Ridge. Phoenician is still a large property, but the service sets it apart....and the casita...oh the casita...

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Becca_C
Reviewed April 28, 2010

Our stay at the Phoenician was nothng but average. The hotel was nice enough and the grounds were beautiful. However, I felt for a luxury hotel it was a little off. While the room we stayed in was spacious and very comfortable, the rug was a little worn and there was garbage left on our balcony. We also sat outside for drinks and appetizers at night. Unfortunately, we weren't able to sit by one of the fire pits as the cushions on the chairs left alot to be desired. Definitely not something I would expect for the money you are paying. We were unable to take advantage of the pools but they looked amazing and their cactus garden in the back was beautiful. All in all, in was just average, definitely not the worst but not the best either.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank lovecapecod2
Reviewed April 24, 2010

My husband and I had been wanting to go to Arizona for some time now. We had a great experience all around. Our room was clean and the staff was very friendly. The concierge staff was very nice and helpful. When we found out it was snowing in the Grand Canyon and weren't sure if we should go, the concierge was very helpful in helping us to decide and when we decided against it, she suggested many other things for us to do instead. The only thing we could have done without was the J&G Steakhouse. I just don't think it was our "thing." The place was extremely expensive (which was expected by the way) but the overall atmosphere to be frank gave us the "creeps." But like I said before, just wasn't our style. We much enjoyed the atmosphere at Il Terrazo (spelling) better! The ice cream shop was great too. We had breakfast there every morning and Amy our server was very friendly and helpful. I wanted a smoothie with no dairy and she made one that was great!!! Our experience was very good and we really enjoyed that Hertz car rental was right there on the premises. Made life a lot easier! Overall, our experience was very good and we would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2010

Something was wrong at the Phoenician. While parts of the hotel were spotless, others were in a state of woe. We walked past the same spill on a walkway for two days. The furniture at the pool was dirty and worn. The pool area was overcrowded, and understaffed. It took 20 minutes to get an order from a server (while we sat at a dirty, sticky pool bar) and then another 10 to get the check. In contrast, the front desk staff was efficient and helpful. Food was OK but pricey. We had the distinct impression that the Phoenician was running some type of "sale" and was not properly staffed for the influx. The hotel also charges a hefty sum for internet access, on top of steep room prices. Why do high end hotels do this?

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank SacramentoDella
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Director at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2010

Thank you for sharing your experience. We apologize that your overall resort vacation was not found to be representative of our high standards. During the spring (our high season), the pool does tend to be rather popular with guests. We are reviewing the situation in order to enhance our pool service for next season. In the meantime, I am happy to report that new pool furnishings (cushions) have just been added. We hope we will have the opportunity to provide you with a true Phoenician experience in the near future.

Reviewed April 14, 2010

The Phoenician is an absolutely beautiful property. Sadly that's where the quality ends.
Our arrival was marred by an inept bell staff who first was lackadasical in getting us to the right place. (a casita room) and then delivered our luggage to the wrong room and then told us that they couldn't find it. We got it 3 hours later and the bellman gave us a dirty look when we didn't tip him. (Fouad)
The pool was gorgeous and the staff there were nice. The restaurants are quite exspensive , even for a luxery resort. Our server at the bar (Bernadine) was wonderful and friendly. The rooms need some serious updates and the staff was overworked, yet attentive. They need to hire more staff and dump the bellmen. Will not return.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank greatday1031
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Director at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2010

Thank you for sharing your comments. We are disappointed to hear of your experience, and will be following up with the appropriate departments to discuss your concerns. I can assure you that we are committed to providing the highest standards in quality and service. Your comments are important in ensuring we achieve these goals each and everyday. We hope you will provide us with the opportunity to welcome you back for a true Phoenician experience.

Reviewed April 10, 2010

We loved the Phoenician, booked a room at another hotel and hated it...stopped at the Pheonician and had to stay! They took $20 off our room because of our experience! CLEAN, has room service 2X a day! We only hung out at the pool 2X in a week and they helped us get chairs once and we asked once! But had a great time! Yes, overpriced but what hotel isnt! Minutes away from ALL restaurants and stores! We booked r room early and came back hrs later and noone helped us get our luggage out of our car or bring it to our room. They need to be more attentive in front of the lobby! We didnt have a view in our room, 1st floor but...lots of privacy and close to the 1st floor bar where the bartender is the BEST! Breakfast is good at the hotel but pricey, the ice cream shop has a cheaper breakfast! Did not eat at the hotel for lunch or dinner....too many great places to go, and great golfing! WILL be back!!!!! Cutest Easter parade ever!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Director at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We appreciate the feedback, which will be reviewed as part of our overall service commitment. We're glad to hear you enjoyed your stay after a rocky start to your vacation. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsdale
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa
Sanctuary Camelback Mountain
#1 of 5 in Paradise Valley

Been to The Phoenician, Scottsdale? Share your experiences!