“Exquisite!”

Ranked #21 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
West Linn, Oregon
“Exquisite!”
Reviewed September 29, 2006

Beautiful grounds, exceptional staff, great restaurants, gorgeous and very clean rooms with the most comfortable beds ever!
It is rather removed from other things around the city which gives the property a peaceful and relaxed atmosphere. Car rental is available on-site, or town-car service to almost any destination.
There were family activities, spa services and beautiful pools.
I would definitely stay here again. I have stayed at other nice hotels in the area, but the Phoenecian is my favorite.

• Liked — The superior service
  • Disliked — The cost
  • Tips/Secrets — The town cars will drop and pick-up from the shopping malls quite easily!
  • Stayed December 2004, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cityspy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (537)
Silicon Valley, California
Reviewed September 24, 2006

The Phoenician is quite a nice resort, but here's a simple suggestion to avoid disappointment: don't stay in the casitas (the small outbuildings sprinkled around the pool.) Instead, choose the main building.

The casitas are nice, but they're right next to the roads. Mine had delivery trucks and gas-powered golf carts driving right outside my window throughout the night and especially in the early morning when you're trying to enjoy a peaceful resort experience.

I notice that near the golf pro shop is particularly noisy with service and delivery vehicles at all times.

Stay in the main building and enjoy the Phoenician.

• Stayed September 2006
12 Thank rwc2theworld
Boston
Reviewed September 20, 2006

This property does NOT deserve AAA 5 diamond. I'd heard rave reviews but on a just concluded trip, I discovered several problems which even a 3 diamond property should not have:
1. Internet in my room failed to work properly, after 1.5 hrs with tech support, they sent me a new cable to replace the ethernet cable they'd provided in the room
2. The A/C did not shut off even when turned to the off position. After complaining, they had to send a technician to fix it.
3. 2 of the 3 bath towels had stains!!

In addition, the spa was not as good as some of the other resorts I've been to.

I certainly won't be returning!

• Liked — Resort grounds
  • Disliked — stains on bath towels
  • Tips/Secrets — Skip this resort
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank worldtravllr
Seattle
Reviewed September 12, 2006

Had a good stay as always at the Phoenician besides the below.

Do beware. My wife decided to open the mini bar our last night at the hotel and 4 of the pops, 2 bags of chips, and a box oreos had all been opened. All the the products were "set-up" to look at first glance to be unused and unopened.

We called the room service manager and reported what occured. They said we would not be charged and of course we were. Called the hotel manager and they stated the charges would be removed. We'll see what happens. Someone from room service explained to us this is not an uncommon event. It put a damper on our last night there. I mean the nerve of people.

SO make sure to check your minibar on arrival and check it good.

Stayed September 2006
5 Thank swamiduck
phoenix
Reviewed September 5, 2006

As a local, I often stay at the resorts in Scottsdale, and the Phoenician does not disappoint. I would have to say this is among one of the top 5 resorts in Scottsdale in terms of service, rooms, pool, and dining.

As a Starwood member, upgrades are a plus. I recommend getting a city view, and the deluxe rooms on the west side of the building have spacious balconies with nice views of Papago Mountain. The remote control retractable awning is a nice feature, and we loved dining out there at night! (be sure to request this, as not all rooms with balconies have it) We dined outside in the middle of August, so it was rather hot. We called and requested a fan, and they brought us one in minutes.

The bath products come directly from the spa at the Center for Well-Being, and I always like that I have extra to take home. : ) As for the bed and linens, they are to die for. The pillows are the best.

For 5 star dining, Mary Elaine's is quite an unforgettable experience. It boasts one of the top chefs in the Southwest, and the service is unparalleled. Count on having at least 3 to 4 servers throughout your meal, all of whom will address you personally by your name. The view is quite lovely with large windows overlooking the city. It's very romantic, and the menu offers everything from a caviar tasting menu that runs around $500 to the most delicious mushroom risotto I have ever had. Ladies, you even get a little stool for your purse! I highly recommend the brunch here as well. We went on New Year's Day, and it had an amazing array of food. The desserts are wonderful.

For cocktails and live music, there is the Terrace. If you just want to hang out and watch the sunset after a round of golf, this is a great place to unwind. In the winter they light the fire pits, so it's a nice place to have drinks. Also, in the evening, be sure to visit the giant telescope for a view of the moon. It's quite amazing, and the nice man (who is extremely knowledgeable) will tell you whatever you want to know about the solar system. My husband loves this guy. We have also seen a celebrity or famous athlete a time or two there, so it is always a fun place to go.

They also serve tea by the lobby, and I have always had a lovely experience with girlfriends there. It's a delightful place to do a baby shower or ladies' get-together. The finger sandwiches, the wide selection of teas, and desserts are all top notch! There is usually a live piano player playing right by the lobby too. It creates a nice ambiance along with the gorgeous fountain they have flowing in the center.

The spa is nice, but not my favorite in all of Scottsdale. There are places that are newer and better, but it has some nice features. The meditation room is pretty, very relaxing. However, I have had some services that I found to be rather mediocre.

This resort is also in a great location. Not only is it nestled right in the heart of Camelback Mountain, but it's minutes away from Scottsdale Fashion Square. This is a really nice mall, and you will also find many great restaurants right at your fingertips. All in all, you will not go wrong with the Phoenician. I have stayed there 3 times and will keep going back!

• Liked — it's a very elegant atmosphere
  • Disliked — when I have to leave
  • Tips/Secrets — become a Starwood member and enjoy the perks
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
7 Thank scubadoll
Deerfield, Illinois
Reviewed August 17, 2006

My girlfriends and I booked a 3 night stay in late July at the Phoenician and it did not dissapoint. We chose the Phoenician b/c I got a great rate ($169) and an upgrade by being a Starwood Preferred member, and this was a slightly cheaper rate than the Camelback Inn and the Four Seasons, the other two properties we were looking at. The resort was gorgeous, the views were great, and our upgrade did not dissapoint! I found the bathrooms to be very large and have great amenities, and the bedding was great. Our room had a huge balcony with 2 chaise lounges and a table and two chairs for dining outside. We also each booked spa appointments and the spa was wonderful. I especially enjoyed the meditation room and the tea room, where you have your choice of hot and cold teas and even a complimentary martini glass with fruit salad. I can see how some fixtures in the bathroom (such as the faucets and bidets, etc.) could appear a little dated, but the furniture, bedding, carpet and marble in the bathroom all had a great luxury hotel feel. In addition, the full sized bottles of toiletries and the soft mattress/pillows on the lounge chairs at the pools really were great touches.

My only complaint was the price of food. While I would expect dinner or even lunch at the pool to be slightly inflated and didn't mind, I would recommend against eating breakfast in the coffee shop. A bagel and cream cheese (with nothing else) was $5.25 and a bowl of oatmeal was $7.00... the bowl came with nothing but raisins and brown sugar.... But the food all tasted great, I guess it's just the price you pay and we didn't mind since we got a great off-season rate. Would I stay here for $500 a night in the winter? Probably not, since there are great hotels in Mexico and the Caribbean with an ocean for $350-$400 a night... But if you can get a good rate on a shoulder season, it truly is a hotel up there with some great luxury hotels.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
2 Thank dtigay
California
Reviewed August 15, 2006

We booked a room through American Express Platinum Travel Services the same afternoon we were to check-in and was able to secure a rate of $230USD for a standard room.

We arrived at The Phoenician around check-in time and overall check-in was smooth. The public areas of the hotels are immaculately maintained for the time-being but need to be refurbished. Valet was a hit or miss, I always saw two or three of them chatting it up at their valet stand. Some would come over to help you and others you had to be firm to get their attention. When I checked in, the Front Desk agent graciously upgraded me to a premier category room (I was told it was substantially bigger and included a huge patio and overlooked the golf course). When I spoke to Guest Reservations I was told the standard room I booked and the room I was upgraded too goes for in excess of $400 and $700 during HIGH season. Our room was at the end of the hallway in another wing of the hotel (the wing directly across from the valet station). The walk to my room reminded me of a Vegas hotel—long, never ending hallways and it seemed dimly lit. Some of the corner rooms surrounding my room had burnt out light bulbs.

The supposedly upgraded room was really bland in its offerings (aesthetic wise, everything looked dated except maybe the TV which isn’t a flat screen) and it seemed the fourth floor where we were staying was a smoking floor?—or at least it reeked of smoke as we were walking in the dimly lit hallway. The room in fact was big: it looked as if you could put two king beds without any problems. I never found anything on TV because their choices in channels are REALLY limited. No MTV, E, etc., but there was HBO. The lighting was horrible; the room relied heavily on table and floor lights. Except in the foyer, there was no ceiling lighting. There was your overpriced minibar as well. There were few “laundry bags” to put your soiled clothes in. The bathroom was acceptable: separate shower/bathtub but again the design was tacky. Not enough bath towels and water pressure in the shower was not that strong. There was a huge blandly furnished patio. It was furnished with those “cheap” plastic/rubberish lounge chairs. It was not inviting to say the least and there was a water build up on the edge of the patio. From what I gather there was not even a light switch for the patio. You had a nice view of the “golf course” if you leaned up against the ledge and turned your head sharply right. Otherwise, we looked at a street leading up to the mountain or something. On a happy note, their beds are really comfortable and in a higher up position instead of being so low.

Because we didn’t have a car, we relied heavily on taxis and the sort and when I inquired about the resort having a house car to shuttle us around, I was incorrectly told there was a complimentary house car to shuttle us around Scottsdale. As it turns out the Mercedes R350 “house” cars only shuttle guests around the resort ONLY. As a driver was taking us to the Fashion Square Mall (it was <2 miles), it was while he was driving did I find out that what I thought was a complimentary service in another sedan was in fact a hired driver, needless to say I was ---. It costs $12 (exclusive of gratuities) from the resort to the Fashion Square Mall. It costs $37 from the resort to the Phoenix airport and the ride was like 10-15 minutes. I highly recommend someone in your party being able to rent a car of having access to a car if you decide to come to Phoenix or Scottsdale, etc. because otherwise, the taxi rides will be very expensive. You have to be at least 21 years old to rent a car in the area. The other resort we were previously staying at said that the city’s public transportation is really bad—think: nonexistent.

I am not a food connoisseur by any stretch of the imagination, although I don’t mind paying for “haute” cuisine. We decided against dinner at The Terrace (a AAA Four-Diamond rated establishment) instead choosing something from The Ice Cream Parlor—I personally liked this place: basically a deli with ice cream and other desserts (the prices were reasonable compared against where we were staying: $14.95 for a deli sandwich as opposed to $38 for a dinner entrée at The Terrace. I loved the Butter-Pecan ice-cream—couldn’t get enough of it. Breakfast Buffet at The Terrace was $22.95/person and service was just average, and food was average, nothing special. During the entire duration of my meal the potatoes were never replenished. The bacon was sitting in the warmer on a piece of toast and seems to get staler as time passed. If you want to eat “fresh” scrambled eggs, get them through the omelet station. A bottle of wine (small one, mind you) at the mini-bar costs $49. There were other dining establishments on site but I didn’t check them out. The restaurants generally closed after lunch to set up for dinner, so if you need an in between meal, your dining options are very limited. If you want to order something through in-room dining, there is an automatic 22% service charge, plus taxes, and a $4 delivery fee slapped on the entire order which is obscenely expensive but should be expected at a place like this.

I didn’t utilize much of the resorts facilities; however, there are “nine” pools at this resort and there is a water slide. I personally wouldn’t pay money to use the cabanas I saw; however, it does offer a shred of privacy. I didn’t see a lot of pool attendants out at 9AM as I would have expected to cater to the needs of the guests. But then again, there were an abundance of chairs, etc; thereby illustrating the resort was not running at capacity; hence, less pool staff were needed. Spa/Fitness facilities—didn’t see them, so I can’t comment.

As this is a AAA Five-Diamond rate property, you should, keyword: expect superlative service which is sometimes not on par with other five-diamond properties. It took two hours to deliver a welcome note after speaking to someone from the front-desk. There are only two concierge desks with two people supposedly serving at capacity 600+ rooms. Concierge was unable to get information about cost of a taxi to the airport as opposed to taking the sedans at the hotel ($37 to the airport). While the resorted noted we were celebrating an anniversary, nothing came to us, no amenity. If you are there for a special occasion and nothing comes, call and ASK for it because you deserve it. We called and ½ a bottle of champagne and cookies were sent to our room. Having things sent to your room takes a LONG time. Housekeeping kept knocking at our door despite a DNB sign. As we were departing our room, housekeeping came in and asked us how long we were going to be until we left, we said ten minutes, and ten minutes later as we left the room, the housekeeper was waiting outside and jumped right in to clean our room—it was a really rushed feeling. Check-out was very smooth and efficient.

All in all, if you could secure a very good deal during low season, the location is excellent because you are in closer proximity of select attractions. This resort is big so I am sure one could keep themselves occupied if they choose not to leave the resort. The resort is definitely due for a renovation if they want to charge anything in excess of $400+. I didn’t mind paying $230ish but if I paid anything close to $700+ for the room I was staying in, I would be absolutely livid. If the property did an absolute makeover of guest rooms, tasteful at that, then it may warrant paying such rates—which I don’t mind paying if it is consistent with its offerings.

• Liked — The bed!
  • Disliked — Limited selection of channels on TV!
  • Tips/Secrets — Try The Ice Cream Parlor!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
11 Thank InstantNoodles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsdale
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa

Been to The Phoenician, Scottsdale? Share your experiences!