“Like to be on Honeymoon again... made me felt like”

The Phoenician, Scottsdale
Ranked #19 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
New York
“Like to be on Honeymoon again... made me felt like”
Reviewed February 26, 2010

What an awesome hotel - what an awesome stay we had...
no other place like this for golf, honeymoon or just to relax - everything we could experience had been fantastic... it had been 3 days full of magic

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (537)
Santa Maria CA
Reviewed February 25, 2010

My husband and daughter joined me on a business trip to Phoenix and we stayed at the Phoenician. We were in a private suite which overlooked the tennis courts and had mountain views right outside our veranda (which was huge). The weather was quite hot since it was July, so we would spend a great amount of time on the veranda after the sun went down. The grounds are breathtakingly beautiful, with many pools to choose from. The nightly turn down service was a plus, and the room was gorgeous, with a full living room for entertaining. The staff was friendly and accomodating (with one exception), but overall the staff was great. The only negative was the nightly visitor we had in our room, a huge blackish brown beetle that is indigenous to the area and comes from the mountains that surrounded our room. This thing was massive, about 3 inches long. I've since discovered that they can reach up to 6 inches long!! Thank God the one in our room wasn't that big, I think I would have had to check out. My husband would gently escort this beetle out off the veranda every night and every night he would return. We called the front desk and they said it was quite common but that they were harmless (not exactly true, they do bite if provoked). These bugs were also at the pool area after dark, one flew onto my head while we sat by the pool, yuck! The hotel of course, has no control over this so I'm not blaming them just thought I'd mention it for those travelers that freak out over bugs. We had afternoon English tea in their tearoom and it was Phenomenal (see review).

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 20, 2010

I read the reviews on this hotel and expected a top class hotel. Sadly I was dissappointed. Poor service, average facilities and overall more of a big complex feel rather than the standard expected and recieved at other top worldwide golfing hotels.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sellers56
Manhattan, New York
Reviewed February 14, 2010

I really liked this hotel. I stayed here for a business function and had the misfortune of missing my flight out on the Sunday that I was to leave. The hotel offerd to extend my stay at the dicounted rate that my company had secured. The property is beautiful if sprawling (be prepared to do a lot of walking). The rooms were comfortable and clean and they allow pets in certain areas.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank HolyRomanOne
Kent
Reviewed February 10, 2010

My partner and I have just returned from 9 days at the Phenician, and other than perhaps our room being ever so slightly tired in terms of decor, we loved it.
Great view from the rooms, they all appear to overlook the pools and gardens, ours certainly did, allowing us also to view the sun coming up as we lay in our 6ft bed!
Breakfast overpriced but the ambience of the restaurant at breakfast more than compensated for it.
Chose to breakfast in the room a couple of times, then out at the breakfast club just 5 mins away in a car.
Valet parking was swift and trouble free, and whilst we had a cabana by the pool all week ( big bonus) we only found the service at the pool lacking one of the days and on expressing our disapointment at the lack of service we were given a free day by way of an apology.
Afternoon tea is available mid afternoon, so if you miss the UK ,one can, and wee were., tempted by china teacups and cucumber sandwiches just like they serve at the Ritz and about the same exhorbatant price, but again, worth it in my view.

The sun shone, the services we required proved to be on par with other 5 star hotels and we found the concierge staff particularly helpful and a mind of information in terms of restaurant and shopping choices.
Fashion mall just 5 mins in the car and lived up to iour expectations.
Spa and gym disappointing and ludicrous prices in the hair salon and no we most definately shouldnt have been charged $10 for use of the gym!
Other than all that..Cant wait to get back.

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Compasspersonnel
UK
Reviewed February 3, 2010

I think 5 years ago this would have been the best place to stay in the area. The setting is peaceful, near the airport and has a great golf course. I feel that the hotel could do with a lick of paint here and there and a nudge in the direction of an upgrade in some areas.

Overall, good service level, good food and good sized rooms. Not a bad price.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Rob S
MCI
Reviewed February 2, 2010

This hotel has no idea of the meaning of 5-star service. No warmth in their manner, but more of a "what do you want" attitude from the bellmen, the front desk, the golf starter, and the bartenders. Our group had 700+ rooms and I heard similar comments from my colleagues. I will give high marks to the service staff that served our conference area. The food for our luncheons and breakfasts was very well done. Not what I expected for these rates. I wouldn't tolerate this level of service at a best western. I checked out and moved to the Fairmont Princess; MUCH nicer spa also

Dr James

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank JBelf
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsdale
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Paradise Valley
The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa

Been to The Phoenician, Scottsdale? Share your experiences!