“Fabulous Phonician” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
A TripAdvisor Member
“Fabulous Phonician”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2006

We stayed here and loved it. Incredibly relaxing - beautiful grounds - friendly staff - great golf - great pools and waterslide. We have 3 kids who loved it and were very welcomed.

The rooms are a bit musty and the decor is slightly dated but you have a huge patio and the shower was great. The upscale French restaurant was not quite what we were in the mood for but very nice. People dress to the nines (black tie, sequined gowns, etc.) so be ready for that if you go.

Here's the thing - we used Starwood points to stay here, otherwise, this review would have a different perspective. You have to have a credit line at the Federal Reserve to stay here - everything is expensive. From the tipping of the bellmen to the drinks and the golf - it all costs money and a lot of it.

BUT - if you want to truly relax and can afford to splurge a bit, this is the place. They treated us like royalty - it was Halloween and the kids trick-or-treated within the hotel. The kids got butterfingers and reese's from the hotel staff who were delighted to see little ones in their costumes. We will definitely return.

Stayed November 2005
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (523)
Pasadena,CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2006

We needed a couple days to relax and decided to go to Phoenix. As I have Starwood points I was able to get a reduced rate... had I paid the going rate of $600+ a night, my comments would be more critical. Initially they put us over the driveway... then eventually we settled on a room overlooking the beautiful cactus garden between the rooms and the mountain. The grounds were beautiful... the rooms and the common areas a bit dated and a bit musky smelling. We enjoyed the restaurants... Windows on the Green had very good Southwestern fare, and The Terrace had a great seafood risotto (and a nice ambience on the patio.) It turns out that our room overlooked the tee of the 8th hole... and in the evening, our view was disturbed by golfers climbing to the top, cursing as they hit their balls somewhere other than near the green, and thankfully not into us sitting on our balcony. We are pretty seasoned travelers....and have stayed at the finest places... but for the money... this one does not quite make it. I would suggest staying for one night... then head up to Sedona. Or better yet... try the Biltmore or JW.

• Stayed February 2005
8 Thank JohnMD
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2006

Stayed at the Phoenician for a couple days for a conference with my wife.

The good:

The setting (literally right next to Camelback Mountain) and the views were great.

The bed was uber-comfortable.

The staff and service were top notch and incredibly responsive.

The outdoor bar/restaurant had a great setting (did not eat there).

The "just OK":

The pool area was fine, but nothing great. The pools aren't any nicer than a run of the mill country club.

The grounds are very nice, but not any more so than several Scottsdale resorts.

The bad:

My wife and I agreed that the common areas and rooms feel dated. The rooms (or at least ours, looking out at the haunches of Camelback) were dark, not particularly large and somewhat dingy. These are not the rooms of a 4 or 5 star resort, they are the rooms of an airport Mariott. I'm sure the casitas are much nicer.

The ridiculous charges for things that should be complimentary. Internet access was $20/day. The mini bar was, of course, insanely overpriced. Poolside food was overpriced.

My wife reports that the spa is very mediocre.

Overall, I doubt I would ever stay here on my own dollar, but it was a fine place for a conference.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
12 Thank Gene_Claude
Okatie, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2006

Went to Phoenix and Scottsdale for a 4 day quick trip. Stayed at a private home, but spent two days touring all the hotels in both Phoenix and Scottsdale.

Result:
#1 place to stay - Phoenician - beautiful resort hotel. Had lunch here and service was exactly like Four Seasons. Asked our name when we arrived and then addressed us by our name throughout the meal even after knowing we weren't staying at the resort. This may be important to some people, but this is the only resort that has grass and flowers. Phoenix and Scottsdale (other than golf courses) are flat, dusty, and the color brown. If you like shades of brown with no color than Arizona is your kind of place. So it was nice to enter a resort that actually had color in both grass and flowers. Pool area luxurious.

#2 place to stay - Hyatt Regency at Gainey Ranch - for a large hotel, felt "homey". Pool area had double cushion lounge chairs for couples. Grounds very pretty - not as nice as the Phoenician, but still very nice.

Would not recommend The Boulders. Too far from anything and frankly - just blah. Small pool. Liked the big boulders to look at, but after an hour we'd had enough. Spa at the entrance of a gated area - not with the hotel.

Would not recommend JW Marriott Camelback Inn. Outdated and just bland.

JW Marriott Desert Ridge is definitely a corporate hotel. Large, plain, lobby nice, that is about it..nothing special...but for a free stay on the company dime...not too shabby. If your not with a business group, you will be disappointed.

Overall, unless you golf or love art, I'd skip Phoenix/Scottsdale all together. Nothing to do, will be bored. For the money, go to Cabo, Santa Barbara, Las Vegas, etc.

• Stayed January 2006
7 Thank ConnieS
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2006

For the incredible room price, I expected an incredible experience and hotel. Over all, I was very disappointed. While the rooms (including the bathrooms) are very large, the quality of the amenities and services do not match the hype--or my expectations. My stay was for three nights, including a weekend. Some of my issues: dirty room service trays were left in the halls; room service attendants are not friendly; room service carts blocked the hallways; inconsistent cleaning of my room each day; long waits for drinks and food at the pool (hello, anyone work here??); $20/day internet service (most hotels now offer for free or $10/day); no quality control on the limos that service the hotel; low quality towels (yes, I expect large and plush towels for $400+/night); $23 charge for a muffin, juice bottle and banana in the lobby shop. However, I must say that the majority of the staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The only thing I found satisfying was the terrific food and service available in the restaurants. Quite frankly, I didn't find the Phoenician to be any better than a nice Hyatt Regency. The next time I visit Scottsdale I'll spend my time and money at the Four Seasons.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Montclair, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2006

Just back from a weekend at the phoenician. We stayed in a suite near the 'sunset spa' and had the hot tub and the pool to ourselves all weekend. I am not a resort person but this is a great place to relax by the pool and have rum drinks and good food delivered to your chaise lounge. We enjoyed hiking to the top of Camelback mountain (map is in your room). My husband thought it would be some sort of paved trail for old folks but it was indeed a really challenging climb. At the end we were basically rock climbing. The views were fantastic. About 3 hours round-trip.

I enjoyed a massage at the spa, too, though I am not a spa person, either. There are all sorts of tubs and showers to relax in after a massage or hike, too. Worth every penny.

Also: the staff was over-the-top professional, down to the lawn crew. The employees are really first-rate. We ordered room service for breakfast and dinner and found it to be fairly tasty. The prices were about the same as at the restaurant, which I found stuffy and boring.

Enjoyed the coyotes howling every night, too.

• Stayed January 2006
8 Thank Patricia H
Beijing, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2006

As a Starwood Gold Member, I redeemed points to stay at the Phoenician for 2 nights/ 3 days in March 2005 with my family of five (kids 15,14,10). We had previously stayed at the Wigwam Resort also owned by Starwood before we arrived at the Phoenician. Checkin went smoothly and our room was very close to the cactus garden which was very cool to walk around. Our family enjoyed the numerous pools and it was never a problem finding chairs. Water pitchers were replaced very quickly and poolside lunches was very delicious and arrived quickly. The Phoenician was very accomadating with every request and the children loved the resort. The best thing about the resort was the tennis garden where we received playing time on the center stadium court with complementary refreshments and cold towels. We played $40 for the court and were able to play the whole day. We even went to play tennis at 10 pm and were chauffered by golf cart from the lobby to the tennis courts and back at 11:30 pm. Also, the ice cream shoppe was very nice even if it was a bit pricey. Over all, our stay at the Phoenician was excellent and I wouldn't hesitate to reccommend it to anyone and would love to return as soon as possible.

• Stayed March 2005
7 Thank starwood6589
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsdale
Gainey Suites Hotel
#4 of 75 in Scottsdale
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,379 reviews
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Sanctuary Camelback Mountain
#1 of 5 in Paradise Valley
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,566 reviews

Been to The Phoenician, Scottsdale? Share your experiences!