“not worth the price”

Ranked #16 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
New York
“not worth the price”
Reviewed April 29, 2005

Stayed 3 nights from April 22-25; we spent $600 on a room facing the pool. Way, way, way overpriced for the type of room. We had to change rooms after the first night since we were 2 adults,2 children sharing a room with 2 double beds, totally inadequate for 2 adults to share a double bed. They were able to get us a room with king and pullout sofa bed but still way overpriced. Nice bathrooms but no way was this a great room for the money. Pool area overcrowded on weekends so have to get there early for a lounge chair. We paid $85.00 for a cabana so we didn't have to hassle and this was worth the extra money. Nothing was included in room rate. Valet parking was $26.00, use of fitness center/spa locker area was $18.00. Excellent service and nice grounds but would not go back. True, I am not a golfer so can't comment on golf facilities. Maybe worthwhile in off season just be prepared to spend much money on all extras. Must say, service was excellent but it better be for $600.00/night.

3 Thank J7349QArichardk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
Reviewed April 27, 2005

This is a very nice hotel, but it is not a good value at all. The rooms are about on a par with a high-end business hotel, but at more than double the cost. The extra charges are nearly inescapable, frequent and consistently outrageous. The food is a mixed bag - some dishes are good some are not so good. The food prices are, however, dependably astronomical. If you have enough money to stay here good for you, but you'll get a lot more for your cash elsewhere.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 23, 2005

Have stayed at The Phoenician 4 times in the last year and a half, and have never been disappointed.It is a goergeous, top- notch property, offering luxurious,spotless rooms, and impeccable service. Although pricey, it is well worth tab, and we would never think of staying anywhere else while in Scottsdale!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New Jersey
Reviewed April 16, 2005

I went to the Phoenician on a business trip that left alot of free time to enjoy the Scottsdale area. I did not have to pay for the lodgings so I feel I can give you an unbiased opinion. The hotel and grounds were immaculate and the pool was great. The only negative was that the bed and room decor appeared a bit dated but it did appear to be spotless. The property sits at the base of Camelback Mountain which serves as a stunning backdrop both in the day and at sunset. The staff were for the most part very friendly and went out of there way to make sure your visit was a good one. I did not utilize the spa nor the gym so I cannot comment on it. However the charge for both seemed to be in line with many other high class hotels. The golf course was stunning! The course is broken into three nine's with different characteristics. The Canyon course is a must. Other members of my group utilized the Phoenician's concierge service and went on a great hot air balloon excursion, which they all raved about. Apparently, there were even better vistas to be seen than that of Camelback on the golf course. I also ate at the poolside "Oasis" and at the Terrace for brunch and both were fantastic.

All in all, this is a great hotel with beautiful grounds. The main complaint from most users seems to be that of price and if you are a money conscious traveller, this definitely is not the place for you. Personally, out-of-pocket I would never pay the rack rates for hotels in this range but I have stayed at comparable hotels and the Phoenician is a good option.

Stayed March 2005
1 Thank tabasco1230
Reviewed April 7, 2005

We spent seven nights at this beautiful, well run resort. Coming from cold, rainy, bleak Philadelphia, seeing the vibrant colors and emerald green grass was incredibly inspiring and an added bonus to our vacation. Our room was impeccably clean, and the room service was excellent. We ate dinner at The Terrace and Windows on the Green and at The Thirsty Camel. And yes, the prices were outrageous. One cannot beat sitting outside by the fire pits and looking at the vista.

We also breakasted each morning at The Terrace. Service at all three places was excellent. The other nights we ventured "off campus" to some extraordinarily superior restaurants, as recommended to us by the concierge and the manager of The Terrace. However, $10.00 for a two minute cab ride was a bit pricey. In hindsight, I would rent a car. We were on the golf package which turned out to be a fairly decent value: unlimited golf, cart, range, and $50.00 towards breakfast. I know you may be saying,"WOW! Who eats $50.00 worth of breakfast?!?!" Believe me, with those prices, it is easy to do.

The golf courses were spectaculary beautiful and fun to play. I like the Oasis course the best. We were there peak season and had to wait on the teebox for quite some time on several days. However, due to the time of year, that is not a surprise. The staff at the golf shop were attentive and interested in hearing feedback about our rounds. One suggestion I had was to stagger the start times to ten minutes apart, rather than seven. I disagree with having children be able to play all day, afternoon hours (after 2:00-3:00) would be sufficient.
We did not sit at the pool much at all. Too many people, especially kids, and we are teachers so we have our fill every day! However, the pools were beautiful and so clean. The staff were friendly, helpful and genuinely interested in making our stay the best possible. Would I go back? YES!

Stayed March 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Westchester, NY
Reviewed April 4, 2005

After reading the mixed reviews of the Phoenician on this site, I have to say I approached my vacation here with a lot of trepidation. There seemed to potentially be a lot to not like about this place. There is no getting around the fact that it's overpriced. It's a place for people with money to show off how much money they have by spending lots of money. I was there on a family member's tab, but I have to wonder why even monied people would want to throw so much money at this hotel. Then of course the place is a tropical garden in the middle of *desert*, which is wrong on so many levels. If you can get past these things, you can have a great vacation.

The minute I got there I checked in quickly and a bellhop drove my husband and me to our casita in a cart so we wouldn't have to walk the whole way with our luggage. Our casita room was a bit small, but had everything we needed and was scrupulously clean. Our bellhop actually gave us a tour of our own room! We had a great balcony that was very large and partially overlooked the golf course, a garden, and the mountain depending on where you stood.

Other reviewers are right about hte decor. It is a bit tired and bland. Everything is brown and beige and the furniture in the main building looks a bit worn. This is the Southwest folks! How about adding some appropriate decor?

The competition for pool chairs is fierce. You do have to come early for the best seats. However, if you come late, the pool attendants will try their hardest to find you seats. If you come early, you can hold onto your seat as long as you can prove that you're really there and not just "reserving" a seat two hours before you sit there (Easter morning I grabbed a chair at 7:30 AM and sat there for two and a half hours. I left my book and other stuff on the chair and went to brunch and my chair was still waiting for me an hour later). Pool attendants not only don't expect tips, they refuse them! The pools tend to get very filled with kids. If you're a lap swimmer, I suggest the Oasis Pool, which is irregularly shaped, but is so large that it gives you the most space to move around. While the water slide is meant for kids, no one tells adults not to go on it and it's lots of fun.

Food is overpriced, but excellent. I ate at both The Terrace and Windows on the Green. The former is Italian, the latter Southwestern. Both were tasty and creative. The latter could use some Southwestern decor. Service was great at the restaurants.

I had a wonderful treatment at the beautiful spa. This is one place where the price seems consistent with most spas of this type. I highly recommend the Desert Serenity Scrub, Wrap, and Massage. They were very professional, the locker room was well-equipped, and they have a wonderful meditation room and lots of complimentary teas and coffe and fresh fruit.

All in all I would say Great Service, Beautiful Location, Good food. A very worthwhile vacation.

5 Thank Taz_maniac70
NY, NY
Reviewed March 29, 2005

I just got back from the Phoenician. It is a lovely hotel but its for families with kids. I am 32 and went with my boyfriend. We felt a little out a place. We are from NYC. We were hoping for a little more action - every restaurant - except Mary Elaines - had children. The pool is very nice but the children took over the pool. They we everywhere. The spa is not that nice. The treatments were nice but the place was outdated. How can people say its sooo nice? The gym had a good amount of machines but dark and depressing. The meditation room was comfortable but not great. (i recently went to the Boca Raton Hotel spa - now that is a nice spa!) The grounds at the Phoenician were perfect - flowers of all colors, bunnies hopping around the landscape, fountains and big lawns,.

The food is pricely but pretty good. Rooms are a nice size. Bathrooms are very big - but the "two person soaking tub" is not for 2 people! Maybe 2 children. Oh the "9" pools at the Phoenician - that includes a few small kiddie pools. All pools had more kids than adults in them. THey were heated though! The big jacuzzi had so many children in it that we couldnt get into it. We went during teh Easter holiday so maybe that is why there were so many children. Got to the pool on Sat at 11.30 am and could not get a lounge chair. The hotel started to put chairs in the lawn away form the pool, so i was lucky enough to get one. On thur and Fri - the pool was quieter and much more appealing. Service by the pool was great, except for Sat. People waited an hour for their food.

Ask for a room facing the pool area for the best views. We faced the mountain - so close to the mountain, that the room was dark. Housekeeping was very good. Our refrigerator was broken but it was stocked with many many things. Restaurant at the golf course was good. The main dining room - Terrace - wasnt as good. But everyone who worked at the hotel was soooooo extremely friendly.

I will go back - one day when i have a family. If you go with kids, bring balls, frisbees, etc, b/c there are many big lawns to run around in. The hotel provideds balls too. There is a volleyball court and bball net in the pool.

• Stayed March 2005
4 Thank kcwkcw
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsdale
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Sanctuary Camelback Mountain
#1 of 5 in Paradise Valley
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa

Been to The Phoenician, Scottsdale? Share your experiences!