“Great weekend getaway-but 5 star it is most definately not” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Phoenician, Scottsdale

The Phoenician, Scottsdale
Ranked #17 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Boston
“Great weekend getaway-but 5 star it is most definately not”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2009

We are SPG members and my 4 girlfriends and I go away every year on mostly points. We like to stay in a suite so we can all be together. We were upgraded to a Casita suite from two rooms-which was really nice of the manager. We also like to have a kitchenette for wine/cheese and some breakfast foods. We arrived to find the kitchen like the "grinch who stole Christmas." There wasn't even a knife in the drawer, no dishes, no papertowels, no coffee maker-zero. Why have a fridge and dishwasher if it's not a real kitchen. We did love the pool, we hiked Camelback (amazing), the yoga teacher was awesome, the food at La Terrazza was great although waitress in the bar was terrible, she tried to sell us on the 50% off any wine at least 5 times and was constantly interrupting us for no real reason, and when it was time to pay she stranded us) Rooms were tired and furniture dated, however bed was super comfortable, bathrooms gorgeous/all marble, flat screen TV's. The grounds were amazing, but overall they just don't have their act together enough to be 5 star.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
4 Thank bostonskigal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (523)
Denver, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2009

Great hotel! The best parts were definitely the bed (extremely comfortable), the bathroom (absolutely huge), the balcony (had a lounge chair as well as a table and chairs), and the pools - I think there are 8 or 9. Free self parking in the garage was an added bonus. Very good location - easy to get around. Very quiet - I never heard anyone in the halls, etc. Beautiful hotel! I truly cannot think of anything negative to say... Well, I never did figure out how to work the alarm clock!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Angie55
IndyRob
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Phoenician in May. The weather was perfect and the experience at the resort was the same. We booked on points so were a little more free with our spending. The only negative thing I could possibly say about the property is the food and beverage are steep. However, when you stay at a Starwood Luxury property this is usually par for the course.

Overall the pool area is perfect. Plenty of space to spread out and relax. They have a bar that juts out into the pool area and they have misters that allow you to enjoy a drink or lunch even when it is 100+ outside.

The Spa was very good. We booked an early massage and a class at teh workout center. We were the only ones who showed for the class so we were able to enjoy a private fitness session. The spa was great and the ammenities didn't dissapoint. A very relaxing morning.

We visited the Thirsty Camel on 2 of the nights and enjoyed a drink with a great veiw of the area.

The service was near perfect everywhere on the property.

I would definitely go back and stay again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank IndyRob
Soledad
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2009

If this was a three or four star hotel I would rate it higher, but for the price, I think I'd pass next time and find another place. Our room was a little on the dated side and a lobby makeover is certainly in order. We travel alot and comparing it to other hotels with this rank, there's no comparison. The outdoor facilities (pools and courts and grounds) were far nicer than the interior. The service was five star and even the restaurant meals we had were below par.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hortonwho
Wisconsin, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2009

Stayed at the Phoenician in April.

I found the Resort beautiful. The landscaping, gardens, flowers, trees and all were lush and refreshing from the brown dead WI scenery i came from.

The front desk, housekeepers, bartenders, pool boys, etc... were very pleasant & go out of there way for whatever request you may have. I thought they were all very friendly and cannot think of one bad thing to say about any of the employees at the Phoenician.

The rooms were clean and very spacious. And the beds were more comfy than mine. Bathrooms were great too.

The pool area is what you wanted it to be. if you wanted quiet - you could have peace and quiet. they did have music playing during the day but that was near the pool bar. you could not even hear it on the other side. You can make whatever you want it to be during your stay. if you someone you wants to find fault and complain about the music being too loud then your the person who puts yourself right next to the drums. The pool area is very large and there are many pools to choose from so just choose the area that suits you.

Oh and they have a huge hot tub down in the pool area that is open 24-7. went down there later at night for a few cocktails. our little group of 6-8 people were usually the only ones in it. It was very relaxing after a long day.

OK the only thing i have bad to say is the prices for food & drink. The are outrageous! my friend order a grilled cheese sandwich. nothing special. bread and cheddar cheese. $18.00. How good can you make a grilled cheese for 18.00 ? another friend and i split a burger and fries, had 2 beers a piece and some tortilla chips and salsa for $68.00. so if you need a drink, besides water - that is complimentry, plan on spending some cash.

hope this helps any questions feel free to contact me.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
4 Thank bridgetn
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2009

The Phoenician would not be my typical vacation choice, since I don't play golf and it is a very expensive hotel. However, since I was there for a business meeting I enjoyed my stay.
The Hotel is well located, 15 minutes from the airport. The grounds and golf courses are superbly kept and spectacular. The room was large and luxurious and the bed very comfortable. Service in general is excellent as well. For those who need their work out the fitness center is top notch!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank charlie15
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2009

Yes, it's 5 star. Yes, it's in Scottsdale. But who really wants to stay in a kitsch 80s boutique whose main building looks suspiciously like a GEICO regional office and with an interior straight from The Donald's tower in NYC.

Worst of all though is the acres of lawn and water features. Here in the desert. It just all seems so out-of-step and inappropriate now. Maybe creating these "oases" was all the range 25 years ago but today it just seems wasteful in terms of water resources. The trouble is that management probably hasn't realised how amusing this place is - or rather would be if the issue of water conservation in the south-west were not so serious. Slopping millions of gallons of water on manicured lawns and sub-tropical plants while the Colorado River dries up to a trickle is not just non-PC, it's downright unethical. There are plenty of great hotels around that make the most of the gorgeous desert landscape and vegetation (like the Hyatt in Palm Springs). They really should take a look around at the competition across AZ, CA and NM.

Be warned too that this is firmly a 'family hotel', at least it was a Easter Spring Break. Zillions of kids everywhere - especially in the 'Relaxation Pool' (what's that about?). Between the ever present, over-loud poolside rock music from the speakers and the little angels you won't find much peace unless you sneak off to the golf club house and eat and drink there (the main restaurant was closed for a refurb when we were there).

The Spa was dated too. Cheap tile on the floors and walls rather than natural materials. And maybe i'm out of touch but $150 for a 50 min Swedish massage? I can't vouch for how good it might have been as I swallowed my tongue when I saw the price list and had to be escorted to the relaxation area for a long lie down and a cold flannel.

Value-wise we paid little for our room (which was very good - large and with a generous terrace). But they'll nail you on the food and drinks. We're used to Four Seasons prices but given the kitschness of the hotel we were expecting to pay 80s food prices too. Well, not really but we didn't expect a $19 burger at the pool. My girl and I are small eaters but even the simplest lunch (appetizer, small salad, 2 glasses of wine) worked out somewhere noth of $60.

Finally, before choosing this hotel you have to ask yourself if you want to stay in a sort of ersatz palace styled on a 5,000 year old civilisation from the eastern Meditteranean but stuck in a suburb of Pheonix. I wish I had. We'd have stayed at the Marriott or Four Seasons instead.

Oh yeah - and as for paying $15 or $20 a day for wifi when the rest of the world gives it for free these days - get real! The business centre was helpful though and I (and a few other starry-eyed men) filed our tax returns from there.

I suppose apart from the horrendous extras bill and the lack of peacefulness it was quite an amusing choice for Easter!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mark-LosAngeles-CA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsdale
Gainey Suites Hotel
#4 of 75 in Scottsdale
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,379 reviews
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Sanctuary Camelback Mountain
#1 of 5 in Paradise Valley
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,566 reviews

Been to The Phoenician, Scottsdale? Share your experiences!