“Beyond our expectations”

The Phoenician, Scottsdale
Ranked #21 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed May 11, 2014

we had heard so much over the years about this hotel and they went beyond on all major points. Spacious well designed out marble 'palace' with huge windows everywhere to take advantage of the incredible views. Service was professional, yet personable--staff very pleasant and attentive. We have stayed at St. Regis in Aspen and New York, and they can't compare to the Phenocian. Every employee we had contact with seemed genuinely interested in making sure we were satisfied---RARE. Beautiful amenities--four pools, great golf and tennis and don't forget the hike up Camelback Mtn (Cholla Trail). Even the weekend athlete will find it fun and just enough of a challenge before lounging by the pool in the afternoon. Several terraced restaurants with first class menus and the 'Relish' clubhouse as a nice alternative for oversized burgers. Perfect long weekend stay. We are making a May tradition.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PFH59
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience with others online. We sincerely appreciate your kind words, especially in regard to the service you received from our attentive Ambassadors. It’s wonderful to hear that your stay exceeded your expectations – as that is always what we strive for. We look forward to welcoming you back next May!

Reviewed May 8, 2014

I hate writing negative reviews but I was anticipating this vacation at this hotel for so long and was disappointed to say the least. There is a certain expectation when the rooms cost $500/night. The property itself is beautiful and pool and gardens spectacular.
It may have been our room specifically (Rm 6156). Walked into the room and the carpet was older and rippled. Anticipating the view because the walk to the room faced a beautiful cactus garden and opened curtains to face the parking lot in main entrance. Wallpaper ripped about 12" long at the desk in the room which did not look nice. Furniture dated. The beds were very comfortable though.We were told the rooms will be renovated next year but unacceptable to let rooms deteriorate while waiting for renovation. Opened coffee maker to find a used coffee kurig filter still in unit. Cleaning crew definitely did not take pride in this room. Really? Again that $500/night expectation.
During the week, we were woken to the beautiful sound of car alarms going off 3 different times. One night, we had a beeping go off every half hour which we tried to identify (it was the phone) and it took multiple calls to get it fixed the next day. On Saturday, after all day shopping, we came back at 5:00 and our room still untouched. We called housekeeping and the staff member we saw on his cell phone in the hallway 10 minutes before said the manager gave him too many rooms to clean so he was unable to get to ours.
The girl who did our turn down the last night we were there was awesome. I wish she were there the whole time. She straightened up toiletries, gave fresh towels, music on radio, slippers laid out. People we talked to had that service every day. Guess we had the "cheap" room service.

The spa: Need to have some positive feedback too. Had a papaya wrap that was wonderful! I would highly recommend. Everyone I encountered was very professional. Pool staff very attentive. Loved the breakfast buffet for $25.00.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank my3jays
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2014

We appreciate your feedback, and regret that you did not experience the AAA Five Diamond standards for which we are known – and on which other guests commented. While a re-design of all guestrooms is being planned, soft updates are completed on a regular basis. Unfortunately, we did not live up to your – or our – expectations. Your specific room, and the service issues with which you were faced, are currently being addressed by management. As you noted, this is not our normal or typical guest experience. We take our commitment to our service culture very seriously. We hope you will visit again in the near future so we may showcase The Phoenician’s award-winning criterion to you personally.

Reviewed May 4, 2014

This is my third time staying at the Phoenician, Scottsdale. W elope the location its close to everything you would want to coin the area. The rooms are spacious and well appointed. The pool area is great, there is a slide and splash zone for those hot days. The pickle pear margarita are awesome, if you try them have with their specula tequila. I would definitely recommend this hotel...fantastic.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank James T

Thank you so much for the great recommendation! We look forward to welcoming you back for your fourth visit in the very near future!

Reviewed April 30, 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel. I will discuss each category separately.

Staff - the front desk of this property including concierges are amazing. I wish I could remember all of their names but I remember Michele S., Emily, Elissa and the other female concierge went out of their way to help. The cleaning staff also did a good job.

Property - I found it to be lovely. I brought two other families along and one of them felt it was a little dated. Perhaps it is - just a little, but they are planning a multi million dollar facelift in the next year. The grounds are kept clean and the gardens well manicured. Wayne, the grounds manager does a great job and will also take your kids on a very cool tour of the cactus gardens.
They also have Rob the hawk guy by the pool. He walks around with a hawk from Africa that the kids love and the pesky birds that like to snag food from your tables do not like. In fact there were hardly any of those birds around. I think their experimental venture is a success.

The pool is super kid friendly although their family pool sits empty and would do better as the adult pool. The slide and splash pads were a big hit with the kids. One negative comment about the pool area is the large neon sign above the bar. Not appropriate for this type of property. The staff at the bar/pool are super friendly - Nate was always eager to help with umbrellas and chairs, and the food and drinks were always quick to arrive.

Our room was in a great location 3102. It was very close to the lobby and close to the restaurant downstairs. The room was well appointed and the mattress and bedding were all very comfortable. We had just come from a Hilton in Sedona and this was a welcome change.

Food: hotel food was delicious. The kids and I enjoyed everything. The service in the restaurant Il Terrazzo was as good as the service by the pool. I wish I could remember the names of the wait staff but trust me they were all great - as was the floating manager that always made sure guests were happy.

Breakfast is delicious and there is some kind of deal where kids can order from the adult menu at 50%off which I found to be a good value.

Proximity to town/hiking. This hotel is in a terrific location at the base of camelback. The views are awesome, and your are also close to town and a mall (if that's important to you).
My son and I hired a guide to go rock climbing up pinnacle peak. The climb was incredible. The guides name was Dave and his website is myarizonaguide.com.

We golfed while there and the courses are in very good condition and not incredibly challenging. We played Oasis and Desert. I preferred Desert. There are a couple of par 3s that are amazing.

Here are the negatives - which were probably just bad timing on our part.
1. When booking originally which we did through Starwood gold, we were told there were only 4 nights available. This forced us to give up a free night and cut our vacation short. When we arrived, there was availability. We also learned there was availability in the suites which if they had informed me at the time of booking I would have reserved even for one night as a place holder. I consider this a forfeit of several thousand Starwood points caused by their staff.

2. It was convention central at the time we arrived and for most of the duration of out stay. This meant you couldn't walk through the lobby it was so crowded - I mean "PACKED". They decided to park it in the lobby all day. Everywhere. If your kids were with you and stepped away for a second, it became a challenge to find them.

Also, most of the lawns were off limits to kids because they had reserved them for what is possibly their largest convention of the year. This hotel is a big convention hotel but they should either do a better job of letting their non-convention guests knowing of upcoming conventions and what it means for their stay.
This meant, no places to kick a ball around, play bocce ball or the other lawn games they advertise.
It also meant there were non-guest workers and delivery crews all over the hotel so leaving the kids to roam was not an option.
There were many adults on the terrace each evening smoking cigars (something they wouldn't do if they were there with kids).

3. Management (Chris Jennings) decided, after our group complained, to credit us for my wife's spa treatment and a dinner which I think was insufficient. For instance there was day we were there where it was too cold to go in the pool and there were no grassy areas for the kids to play. I don't think the hotel was worth the price that day. Again, the odds of this happening to the next person are probably slim to none.

Overall, I think this place is worth the stay. My ratings for service and value are slightly lower below only because of management's response.

Room Tip: Unless you spend enough time in the room to notice the views, proximity to the lobby is terrific.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Boatboys9
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

Thank you for sharing your detailed review. While we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your overall experience – especially in regards to the service, restaurants and proximity to Camelback Mountain – we are disappointed that some aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations. Please know that your comments have been shared with our management team as part of our regular operational review process. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed April 30, 2014

We had a slight misstep when arriving as we got into Phoenix from NY quite early. I had asked for an early check in but our room which had been upgraded was not ready yet. We went for lunch, still not ready and ended up sitting around for at least 90 minutes or so..not happy... my wife spoke to a manager conveying our frustration. He got us into our room, discounted our bull by $200, gave us a meal and sent over a cheese and fruit board and a bottle of wine. Once in our room, the trip was magical. the hotel, room, service, pool, restaurants and golf courses were all top notch. very close to the airport but was not thrilled with the airports car rental shuttle system. Overall, it was a fantastic vacation with the hotel being the shining star.

Room Tip: we stayed in the casitas and were up graded to a suite. we ere right next to the pool, great locatio...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Steve C

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. While we regret that to hear that your trip started with a misstep, we are very pleased that our Ambassadors were able to quickly rectify the situation – and that your vacation ended up being everything you hoped for. It was a pleasure having you as our guest and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed April 29, 2014

I can't believe this hotel charges $600 for a basic room, and that was discounted with a AAA rate otherwise it would have been around $660! I have stayed at many luxury hotels and cannot see how this hotel can justify this rate. Nothing is actually wrong with the hotel its just that it is way overpriced for what it is. When we arrived we were told we had been upgraded. Other than a pool view this was a typical standard room. The pool is just so so....no view, no nothing, and the service was very spotty. On the first day we arrived there were not three lounge chairs together but there were three single ones by themselves. We asked the staff if they could put three chairs together...the answer was simply "no". We decided to get lunch instead where we sat in the hot sun for about 20 min before anyone acknowledged us. However, the second day at the pool the service was excellent...always coming around to see what we needed, refreshing our water pitcher, adjusting umbrella etc. It was the same with breakfast service great one day and waiter non existent the next. As for the bill....when we checked out there was a miscellaneous room charge of $65. I asked the girl what that was and she said tax. Well then why was it clearly labeled tax for the second night $75? She didn't have an answer other than thats what the computer says. She adjusted the bill. Second, we were supposed to get a AAA credit of $65 per day/breakfast which had not been applied to our account. When we asked about that she said "yes, that needs to be applied manually." I said well then why don't you apply that manually?!!! Bottom line always check your bill. Overall, I wouldn't go back. It wasn't a bad experience but they just should have been charging $2/300ish a night instead.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank kitkat77774
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience. We are disappointed to learn that our service standards were not achieved. Consistent and ongoing training is at the core of our culture, and something to which we are firmly committed. Please know that your comments have been shared with the respective department managers to be reviewed and addressed. As a AAA Five Diamond resort, The Phoenician’s standard rooms start at a spacious 600 square feet, and feature Italian marble bathrooms with a separate soaking tub and shower. The Oasis Pool Complex, home to seven pools, includes stunning views of Camelback Mountain to the North, and Necklace Lake as well as the Casita Lawn and fountain to the South. As April is part of our peak season, our pricing is competitive. Special rates at more than 60% off are available during the summer months. We do hope you will visit again to experience what a true Phoenician luxury stay is all about.

Reviewed April 29, 2014

We visited with our 2 children and our small dog and they upgraded us to an incredible 2 bedroom casita. We were floored by the generous upgrade and delightful friendly service. The pool with the twisting waterfall and nearby cabana (for the parents) kept the kids happy all day. I loved the cactus garden with its meandering walkway and spots to stop and enjoy the peace and beauty of the majestic rocks and vivid desert coloring. Dinner was outstanding. The kids splurged and had lobster and the staff made sure that it was treated like a special occasion. They couldn't do enough. The comfort,attention to detail and warm and caring attitude from the staff make this a truly spectacular resort. An elegant 5 star feather in Scottsdales cap!!!!

Room Tip: the casitas are extraordinary,,,especially with kids. It made getting a good nights sleep possible a...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Gigi1998
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

Thank you for the wonderful review! We truly appreciate your kind words and are delighted that you and your children had an enjoyable experience at The Phoenician! We hope to welcome your family back for many years to come.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsdale
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa
Sanctuary Camelback Mountain
#1 of 5 in Paradise Valley

Been to The Phoenician, Scottsdale? Share your experiences!