“Outstanding service!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Outstanding service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

From the scenic setting at the base of Camelback Mountain, to the perfectly maintained landscaping throughout the property, the views here are beautiful. The cactus garden is amazing. The service is simply outstanding, from the maids and concierge to the bellmen and wait staff. Your needs are met and then some. We ate at most of the restaurants and found the food and service to be very good. Our favorite was lunch at Relish, where we ordered several appetizers to share and enjoyed their large selection of beers from the area.If you want to relax, the pool and spa offer relaxation. If you want to be active, there are so many hikes and outdoor activities in the area. Shopping in Scottsdale is a must! We were on a business/pleasure trip, but know our kids (14 & 19) would have loved this place, too.

Room Tip: Odd numbers in Building 4 look over the cactus garden and up at Camelback Mountain.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your wonderful review. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time at The Phoenician, especially in regards to the service, accommodations and resort grounds! We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (523)
Cambridge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

The Phoenician was a great spot for a post Christmas family break in the sun. A beautifully situated hotel with attractively landscaped grounds. There was plenty for all of us to do, including golf and tennis, walking and swimming. Food was good and it was nice to have the coffee shop within the resort. Breakfast was great and the complimentary takeaway coffee service appreciated. Another plus is the shuttle bus to the excellent shopping at Scottsdale. I recommend the Phoenician for families.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank BancroftCambridge
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Thank you so much for the great recommendation! We are delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed your time at The Phoenician – please come back and see us again soon!
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

A beautiful location at the base of camelback mountain w multiple golf courses, tennis courts, restaurants, spa, multiple pools and a kids club.

The hotel is really beautiful and the location cannot be beat.

The service is generally excellent and they have added some new features. My kids loved the birds of prey exhibit and the funician kids club. Surge, however, did not live up to its billing as the kids thought it was for toddlers only and no one seamed to use it.

The hotel has a few things it needs to work on. The hot tub was not really working during our stay which was a major bummer. In addition some of the rooms were a bit dated and some downright bad (the bathtub had been a different finish and they had painted over it but the paint was peeking off making the bath tub unusable). Lastly, the breakfast seating was just odd. They would make people wait or allow them to sit in the bar while they had multiple empty tables that were set.

All if these minor things preclude me from giving it a 5 star even though I love the hotel.

Room Tip: The casitas are great for families and you avoid the valet charge.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing your recent review. It’s wonderful to hear that you enjoyed many of the resort’s signature amenities during your stay, including the Oasis Pool Complex, Centre for Well-Being, and 27-hole championship golf course. However, we do regret that some aspects of your stay failed to meet your expectations. Your comments have been shared with the appropriate managers and staff, and are being looked into to ensure our high standards are not compromised. We hope you will visit us again so we may provide you with the luxury resort experience for which we are known.
Washington DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

We just got back from our amazing stay in Scottsdale, AZ. We traveled with a 10 month old. Overall we had wonderful time, and would probably come back. I would say our least favorite part of the hotel was the front desk. They were no helpful at all and were not friendly at all. Upon checkin I asked if there was any avail to upgrade. As I said we have a baby and was hoping to put him somewhere else other than the bathroom. Nothing was available but to get her to ck was like pulling teeth. This happend on multiple attempts to the front desk. Everytime I asked a question they seemed bothered and irritated to answer. I'm not sure u should have this type of attitude and unhelpfulness when you work at the front desk of a 5 star hotel.
Moving on.. the rooms were spacious as well as the bathrooms. A little outdated but clean and nice.
The pools--super crowded and the staff does little to regulate all the reserved chairs. I still enjoyed the pools as well as the service was wonderful. I would recommend getting up upwards of 6a to reserve a chair.
The grounds--gorgeous.. need I say more. Landscape is breathtaking as well as the view.
Food--we only had breakfast once here. The buffet was great. It was quite yummy and it was nice to sit on the porch near the pool. However, they need more than one person cooking omelets. The line was about 10 folks deep each time so I never got an omelet.
Overall I would say this place is really nice minus the front desk. We loved sitting out on the porch by the firepit at night. It was really relaxing and gorgeous. The self park was super easy, This was possibly the easiest hotel self park I've ever experienced. Don't bother with valet. The location is fab. It's super safe and in a great area and super close to the airport.
ps.. we also were charged with valet although never used valet so ck your bill upon ck out.

Room Tip: Pool View is Nice
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank applegirl78
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Thank you for sharing your recent review. While we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at The Phoenician, we are incredibly disappointed to learn of your front desk experience. Furthermore, we deeply regret that the service you received fell short of our Five Diamond standards. Please know that your concerns have been shared with our management team so that they may be addressed with our associates. We do hope you will provide us with the opportunity to host you again in the near future to demonstrate our commitment to you and every one of our visitors.
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

We've stayed at so many hotels, we are probably in the top 10% of frequent travelers, but this was one of the best. It was full, which means crowded. But the staff were excellent. I've never been at pool-oriented resort where they bring you a pitcher of ice water. As if that wasn't enough, when they see your ice has melted, they bring you a fresh one. That's just the right anecdote to understand that this is a special hotel.

The night we arrived, the wine shop in the corridor of stores had closed. A staff member saw us looking inside, opened up the shop, and not only let us buy a bottle of wine, he let us taste the wine first. I could tell 5 more stories like this.

Our room had a balcony so close to Camelback Mountain that I could throw a rock and hit it. One could sit on the balcony and marvel at the Saguaro cacti in the setting sun. Who wants to watch TV in a place like this?

We've stayed at probably 6 or 8 hotels in Scottsdale in our lives, and I would never stay anywhere else if I bring my wife on another business trip here.

Stayed April 2014
Thank you for the great review! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed all the small touches that make The Phoenician so special. It was a pleasure having you as our guest and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014

There is no place better than the Phoenician to enjoy the beauty of spring in Phoenix! This classic property is manicured to perfection, the varied colors of the flowers, the trees ... its breathtaking.

The property is spacious. The resort may be a bustle of activity, but you can still find a quiet place amongst the cactus garden, by numerous waterfalls, by the lake, just wandering on the many paths throughout the property, where you'll be joined by the many bunnies that call these beautiful grounds home, the ducks, the geese and the fish.

Of course, if one visits The Phoenician, you must pamper yourself at the Wellness Center. The menu of services provided is so enticing, its hard to decide, but that's where the very helpful staff comes in. Any spa that can keep the same service providers for as many years as they have, has got to be doing the right things for the clientele! Ask anyone of them how long they've been at the Wellness Center, some can boast 25 years. I find that amazing!

And, not to be forgotten is the location of the hotel, nestled at the bottom of Camelback mountain in the heart of the city, close to fabulous shopping, restaurants, the airport, sightseeing.

I consider it a little slice of heaven! I'm sure you will too.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the wonderful review! We are delighted to hear that The Phoenician has made a lasting impression on you -- as it is always our goal to provide our guests with personalized, memorable experiences. We hope to welcome you back for many years to come!
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

Listen this place is the real deal and truly exceptional - beautiful grounds, stunning pools, very good overall service, comfortable rooms and best of all is the weather - I really wanted to give this hotel 5 stars as it's worthy of the designation but there were enough small things that I wanted to take the time to share for cure visitors

The Good
- pools are just fabulous
- my wife and I have 4 kid and love kids and this is a great place with kids or without...some adult only areas and great kids areas too with basketball net in pool and tons of fun
- plenty of chairs
- awesome tennis program and head pro Jason was likely the best teacher we have ever had - can't say enough good things about this guy
- I could go on and on but really this place has it all

What could be improved upon
- let me start by saying there is not much but a few things that were just plain frustrating;
- rooms are getting tired but are still very nice but if you are expecting 5 star rooms this is not your place but rooms are beautiful circa 1995 Reno but kept up very well
- pool gets busy and I feel bad for hotel because when hotel is at 98 percent capacity which it was when we were there they need to add a dozen more staff around the pool....staff are tremendous but clearly not enough of them to go around
- breakfast is so funny and frustrating...again u can't help but feel bad for hostesses because every person complains...there are dozens of empty tables and 20-35 min waits for outside...similar to pool situations for staff serving lunch and getting drinks there is simply not enough staff to keep up with demand...it's a simple operational issue for hotel where if they came and watched the few bottlenecks it could be easily addressed as it's solely human backlog

A few interesting facts that I could not find in advance that I think folks will be interested in
- price for cabana rental by the pool ($300 during the week and $350 on weekend per day
- I could not make a reservation at a popular restaurant myself but Beverly the concierge worked magic for us and made a reso at a place that does even take reservations which is very cool
- I found out last day I waited for no reason for breakfast every morning when u could make a reservation so don't do what everyone else did and gets upset waiting for 20-25 min when u simply can make a reso for breakfast...I didn't know but now you do
- they sell bottles of water at store and in rooms but there is free bottles at tennis courts and workout room so really no need to waste your money there
- we stayed in a casita room overlooking the pool in building F on 2nd floor and it's wonderful to hear the fountains and it's central to everything
- you can order lunch by the pool from any of the on site restaurants which is not obvious as they only brig a menu from the pool side bar and grill and I totally recommend Relish Burger Bistro - wonderful option - just leave an hour from time u order to delivery

To conclude
- would we stay again...absolutely without a doubt
- management needs to watch the couple frustrating bottlenecks I described above as they are easily fixable
- rooms are getting a little tired but way better than others ha said online it's truly not a problem to me but does need a refresh soon
- love the tennis, thirsty camel lounge, grounds, pools, ice cream shop and much more
- excellent service overall

If you pick The Phoenician you won't be disappointed but hopefully this review helps and ads some additional feedback not found in others

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank jeff_s131722
Guest feedback is critical to enhancing the guest experience, so thank you for taking the time to share your detailed review. It’s wonderful to hear that you and your family were able to enjoy many of our signature offerings during your stay, including our pools, tennis program and AAA Five Diamond service. Please know that your review has been shared with our management team so that we may use your suggestions for further improvement. We hope to welcome you back to The Phoenician again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsdale
Gainey Suites Hotel
#5 of 75 in Scottsdale
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,379 reviews
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Sanctuary Camelback Mountain
#1 of 5 in Paradise Valley
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,566 reviews

Been to The Phoenician, Scottsdale? Share your experiences!