“Very attentive staff”

Ranked #16 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Washington DC
“Very attentive staff”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights following a trip to the Grand Canyon. I am Gold, and they upgraded me (I had booked a standard casita) at checkin to a 'lagoon view.' However, this casita seemed like a stepcousin to the casitas facing the pool - it was remote, dark, and also overlooked construction. I went back to the front desk, and the check-in agent was great in finding me a similar room in a better location. I was very satisfied with the service in general, from the bartender (Sean) at the Camel Lounge to the servers at Relish Bistro. I thought the room furnishings were a bit dated, and couldn't believe they still had the old-fashioned thermometers (round, with a dial) in the rooms.

One disappointment (first world problems, but hey I'm paying an astronomical resort fee) is that I didn't get any turn-down service the first night, and the second night, someone came by at 10:00 p.m., which in my opinion is way too late. Perhaps it was because I was in a casita and not in the main hotel, but they need to step that up.

One great thing, if you are a fitness buff, you can walk to Camelback and hike there and back while everyone else needs to find street parking. Very convenient.

Was it the best hotel experience I've ever had? no. It was perfectly servicable, which isn't the best for a Luxury Collection. If I had gone in peak season, and paid a lot more, I would have been much more disappointed. But, the weather was good, I slept well, I ate and drank well, and I would recommend it to others.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
PhoenicianManager, Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback. I am happy the front desk could find a room to your liking so you could enjoy the views and relax. We pride ourselves on delivering AAA Five Diamond service, and we are disappointed that we missed the mark during turndown. We can assure you that the service you received is not indicative of our standards, and we will review your comments with our housekeeping managers. I do hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Was sorely dissapointed in this hotel. This might be a good hotel for those that wish they were still living in the 90's. I was shocked that a so called luxury hotel was so outdated in both amenities and decor. First of all, they still actually charge for wi-fi, by the day, no less. I have been to 5 star hotels in other cities that have not only provided free wi-fi, they also had an iMac in the room for my personal use. The gym was also very difficult to find and far away...I got a work out in before I even arrived. Finally, and what may be my biggest pet peave in hotel rooms these days is the fact that they only have sweet and low stocked for the coffee. Seriously?!?! I didn't know they still made that stuff. Will not return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ATLien83
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We regret that your recent stay was not to your liking. During the last five-plus years, The Phoenician has undergone more than $100 million in renovations and enhancements. Continually redesigning and contemporizing the luxury experience to meet the needs of our guests is of the utmost priority. As a convenience to our patrons, The Phoenician has packaged many of its most popular services, such as Wi-Fi and 24-hour fitness center access, into its resort charge. This eliminates a number of daily, individual fees. Complimentary transportation to and from the fitness center is also available from our valet staff. Upon request, a variety of coffee sweeteners is provided in the guestrooms. Complimentary coffee to-go, with all the accoutrements, is also available every morning starting at 6:30 a.m. at our restaurant, Il Terrazzo. We hope you will visit us again so that we may provide you with the personalized, AAA Five Diamond experience for which we are known.
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Huge room, huge bathroom both well appointed. The resort was almost full but it didn't feel overcrowded. Pool and tennis facilities were very good too. We ate and drank at various places within the resort and all were great.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 74pj
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed the facilities, food and accommodations! We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.
Whitby, Canada
Reviewed November 21, 2013

This was our second visit to “The Phoenician”. You always worry if it will be as good as the first time. It did not disappoint The attention to service is still excellent. The grounds, golf course and hotel are first rate. We dined off the resort but we did use the service to and from the local restaurants which was great. Our breakfasts and lunches onsite were very good. The bar in the main dining room is a must for the view and service. The only issue was the rebuild of the pool area (very noise) but to be fair it's not something that would be normally happening.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review. We are happy to hear that your second visit to The Phoenician was as wonderful as the first – and that you enjoyed the amenities, grounds and Five-Diamond service! We do apologize for any inconvenience experienced as a result of the pool construction; however, we are pleased to report that our Oasis Pool Complex renovation is scheduled for completion in February. We hope to welcome you back in the near future!
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

We are Starwood gold members and the 4 night experience has been less than 5 star to say the least. The checkin was not professional. Our bidet is rusted and un useable. There are jack hammers and construction poolside. Our privacy tag was hanging on our door until 12:30. From 12:30-3 when the tag was off, no one cleaned our room and at 2:30 a message was left that if we wanted the room cleaned, we should call housekeeping due to the privacy tag on the door.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank heatherswan
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments. We regret that your stay was not indicative of our AAA Five Diamond standards. The Phoenician prides itself on providing the highest quality service, marked by great attention to detail. Unfortunately, in order to do so, renovation and construction is at times required. Please know that all efforts are made to ensure the least disruption to our guests. Training is also of great importance and focus, as all associates participate in ongoing instruction from the moment they are hired and throughout their careers. Your front desk and housekeeping concerns have been shared with management so that they may be addressed immediately. We hope you will visit us again so that we may provide you with the luxurious, memorable guest experience for which The Phoenician is known.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We recently spent 4 nights at The Phoenician while my husband was on a conference.

The stand out of our time spent there was the calibre of the service which we received. This was across the board and included the concierge (who were just so incredibly friendly, helpful and informative), the dining staff in both the restaurant and the conference dining area (who were so obliging in assisting with foods to accommodate my food allergies),the maintenance guy and others too. I needed to package some items which we bought and they were happy to give us packing tape and boxes which they had. No ask was too big.

Whilst we were there we had delicious Mexican Wedding Cakes and when we got home I emailed the hotel asking if it were possible to get the recipe and it arrived in my inbox within the hour!! So thumbs up for excellent service :)

The pool area is lovely with plenty of shade if required, which is a pleasure. The room was very nice and spacious but nothing ooh aah. I guess one could say it is a typical Sheraton room of it's time - not suggesting at all that it needs renovating. It was in very good nick and I enjoyed the balcony with lounger.

The food in the restaurant was very nice. We ordered 6 meals all up there and they were all great. The food served at the conference was a bit disappointing. Certainly nothing to rave about. It would have been nice to be able to get toast at breakfast. Perhaps this has to do with the choices of the conference organisers.Not sure.

All up a great stay at the Phoenician and I can recommend it

Room Tip: Our room had a balcony which faced the mountain. It was nice to look out on it and we got the aftern...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank aarjay
PhoenicianManager, Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive comments! We are so pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay, and we can’t wait to welcome you back again in the very near future!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 17, 2013

When we arrived, the occupancy was very low.
The location of our casita was great. Close to the pools and quiet overlooking the Camelback Mouintain.
When we arrived the terrace was in need of a clean and the room felt unused for awhile
We arrived on the last weekend of the local last family long weekend.
We left the resort once in a cab ride to a lovely delicatessen-wine store that was worth the drive.
Also on Camelback but with great selection of anything you cannot get at the resort.
The burger bistro -relish was great. we ate there a few times. an ongoing flow of golfers go through the place...the food is OK...
The steakhouse is stuffy...
They claimed to have no seats (empty restaurant at the time)..and almost grudgingly agreed to serve us... really strange ...maybe we were NOT dressed appropriately
The food was adequate for the price -not amazing...
We enjoyed the adults ONLY-pool that was NOT adults only....Anyway..
Would we return? Maybe ......Because service was excellent....Keep your staff to keep people coming back...

Room Tip: Casita by the pool
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank luv2truv3l
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. I am truly sorry to hear that your experience did not completely meet your expectations. The cleanliness of the resort and exceptional, personalized service are always our goal, and we regret that we failed in these areas. We appreciate your feedback and will certainly share it with our management team to ensure that the appropriate actions are taken – both with service and attention to detail. We do hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the very near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsdale
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Sanctuary Camelback Mountain
#1 of 5 in Paradise Valley
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa

Been to The Phoenician, Scottsdale? Share your experiences!