“Excellence in every way”

The Phoenician, Scottsdale
Ranked #18 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Excellence in every way”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I can't say enough about this property. Again, I get really scrambled and can babble on tangents forever if I don't make a list.

Positive-

1. The grounds - are GORGEOUS, it is after all a golf resort so expect the best. Everything from the cactus garden to the green is perfectly manicured.

2. Cleanliness - Can't stress this enough. CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. Our room was spotless and smelled fresh every time we walked in. The hotel itself is sparkling, and the grounds are as well. Honestly I wondered if they secretly have a cleaning crew following guests around with a mop and broom, because the whole place is spotless- even around the pools and outdoor areas.

3. The room - Is huge. It's larger than my room in my house, and quiet a bit cleaner haha. The bathroom had a separate soaking tub and shower with an enclosed room for the toilet. We were in a basic room, viewing Camelback Mountain and the cactus garden but it was beautiful. The best part of the room was the double sliding glass doors, they really open the room up. We turned the air off and opened the glass doors leaving the screen shut for the night, it was really quiet and pleasant. The balcony with chaise lounger and coffee table was excellent.

4. Room Amenities - Two closets, a minibar, coffee and tea facilities, huge bathroom with separate shower and soaking tub, extremely comfortable bed, large thin television with a decent amount of channels, balcony, affordable room service, writing desk. All awesome.

5. Resort amenities - Pools (LOTS), nice hot tub area -pretty quiet and secluded, self guided cactus garden around camelback mountain, easy parking, wifi etc included in the resort fee. Easy access and friendly valet, shops inside the resort, nice restaurant/s, and a cute little ice cream/candy parlor that has some easy breakfast items too.

6. Staff - The friendliest staff. This is my number one, if a resorts staff treats it's guests like poo they shouldn't be in business. The front desk agent was more than friendly and helpful - from directions around the resort to random questions about our stay. A younger valet agent got snippy with my boyfriend and then apologized profusely for it and asking if we'd like an amenity sent to our room because he was confused (apparently our car didn't receive a valet parking paper upon entering the resort). While walking around the resort we were greeted multiple times by staff and some asked if we needed any assistance. Everyone had a smile on their face and were VERY FRIENDLY. A ++++

Negatives -

1. Valet price - I can't really complain about this because it's not expensive compared to other cities (NYC $75 p/n) and really this is mine/my traveling companion's own fault. We didnt even check our valet ticket (which has the valet rate on it, $29 per night), we just went to our room and crashed since it was late. Anyhow, valet can get pricey pretty fast but they were excellent gentlemen. If you decide to self park it might seem like the garage is forever away but its right under the lobby area or close to it, so it's not bad! If you can afford the valet for your stay- I'd recommend it, if not no sweat!

Really would recommend this resort to anyone. It's fabulous, and we will definitely be back in the future.

Room Tip: We had a basic room and it was excellent so I can't imagine any room being bad.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
chicago, illinois
Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

Just spent 3 wonderful nights and was not disappointed. The service was excellent food delicious and the grounds were simply exquisite. Would recommend this hotel for a getaway. Very classy and lovely stay!!!!

• Stayed November 2012
Dover, New Hampshire
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Unfortunately it was a little cool and cloudy during our stay- so we really didn't experience the pools. Food was excellent. Don't miss the chips, salsa, and guacamole! We were here for a business meeting- so no time for spa or golf. We had a very nice reception the night we arrived- with excellent food. The only real negative is that our room had a hallway with open air and tile floor. The staff runs carts up and down the hall all hours of the night. Make sure you don't get one of these rooms!

Cotuit, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 16, 2012

dont go here! Well, cleaner very rude and waiter very rude. also dont walk around golf area because you will get kicked off. Cleaner didnt want to let me in to my room even i was trying to knock on the door and than start to scream to let me in. Nothing happend and after she finally opened the door she was rude to me and asked me for my ID to get in! than she asked me about my name of my own ID! what she thinks she is FBI or something, than I had to go change my room key because of her....Just so so rude and I also called room service to clean two hours later I came back and she was there...

2 Thank af77741514
PhoenicianManager, Front Office Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you for sharing your feedback. Please note that it is never our intention to treat guests rudely. Our commitment is to creating memorable luxury resort experiences while providing a safe and secure environment for our guests as well as our staff. Toward this end, we require a photo ID when entering a room that is being serviced. This is to verify that the guest requesting entry is the guest listed on the room reservation. It is also a standard procedure for ensuring the security of each guest’s belongings. Another aspect of our safety measures involves prohibiting pedestrian traffic around the golf course. As you can imagine, this can be extremely dangerous and result in being struck by a golf ball. We hope you will visit us again and allow us to further demonstrate our commitment to our guests.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Great Hotel, location, golf, conference rooms and swimming pool. The rooms are nice but nothing special. The service is first class. The surrounding grounds are immaculate. The Golf course is 1st rate.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed November 15, 2012

We like to visit Scottsdale in November when the weather is crystal clear and temperature runs in the low 80's in the day and back into the 60's at night. Dry and comfortable.

The Phoenician has been our choice since we first stayed there over 15 years ago and we keep returning, especially asking for a room facing the pool.

The facility, including the golf clubhouse and 3 courses, is perfectly maintained and beautiful. Service is delivered with a smile and there are staff members everywhere ready to assist. Poolside you are always greeted with a pitcher of ice cold water. At the front desk registration is welcoming and easy. Room service is good and the restaurant in the hotel is, by and large pretty good. Even the engineering staff who came to replace a TV that wasn't working was pleasant to deal with. Room clealiness can't be beat and the rooms are designed in a very attractive way and have the most comfortable hotel beds we've encountered anywhere. Sunsets from the balcony overlooking the pool are sensational.

As to golf, the three courses -- Oasis, Canyon, and Desert -- which the staff mixes and matches for you every time you want to play 18 holes, are spectacular though difficult. Built on the side of a mountain, you can find some interesting and challenging shots that either will always run down the mountain or are hit from so high up on the tee it's difficult to judge your distance. The grass (if you're lucky to land on it) is soft and very easy to hit from

My only challenge with the Phoenician is pricing in the restaurant. Yes, it is a high end resort and I expect to pay a premium rate. However, for the prices on the menu I wasn't that impressed with the restaurant food. Perhaps it was just my particular selection.

All in all, still our favorite home away from home and we're hoping to visit twice a year from now on.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building facing the pool.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Pontiac, Illinois
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Went on a girls getaway to celebrate a birthday and it was the perfect choice! Like Suze says the staff SHINES!! Our room was huge and we loved all the restaurants and also enjoyed the spa!
The only problem i felt was the transportation that they had selected was way too expensive.

Room Tip: We had a view of the mountains and the golf course-corner suite with spacious balcony!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Travelgirl421
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsdale
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa
Paradise Valley
The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa

Been to The Phoenician, Scottsdale? Share your experiences!