“Business Center in Need of Better Management”

The Phoenician, Scottsdale
Ranked #18 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Princeton, NJ
“Business Center in Need of Better Management”
Reviewed March 6, 2008

My family only had one negative experience during our stay at the Phoenician. I found their business center to be very poorly managed. Each guest who uses a computer station must agree to pay for internet use over five minutes. This is an understandable practice in trying to prevent guests from staying at a station for a large amount of time. The problem is that there is no logbook or personnel monitoring the time spent on a computer. I actually was approached by one of the business center staff members who wanted me to "estimate" what my time spent on the computer was A DAY PRIOR! How unprofessional! What if the staff member never saw me again during my stay? Or had approached the wrong guest? What if I had mistakenly thought I had stayed an hour as opposed to really staying only thirty minutes or vice versa? The staff would clearly be doing a disservice to me and the Phoenician!

When guests are paying for top quality service, it should be nothing less than the best!

• Liked — Pleasant atmosphere, art, luxurious stay and aestetically pleasing landscape. A formula for relaxation!
  • Disliked — Poor Management of Business Center
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank OwlEyes84

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
NY, NY
Reviewed February 18, 2008

We stayed at The Phoenician Feb 14-18th, nightly rate was $539 which was the cheapest option I had found through their website. Of course I note that if you don't mind paying upfront or don't need a cancellation policy, you can get a better deal.

Rooms: Our room was facing the mountain so we didn't have a view of anything. I had called ahead of time to request a high floor and the best view my rate could get me and upon checking in, I was told that these requests were granted. The room itself was okay. Standard room that you would expect at any nice hotel, nothing special/unique in any way. Nice but not luxurious. The full bath was nice but it would've been better if there were actual water jets in there for the hot tub experience.

Property: The lobby and building itself felt a bit dated (I kept getting cruise ship flashbacks) but then that's the way I feel with a lot of the older Ritz or Four Seasons or Fairmont locations these days. The landscaping was nice and the pools were laid out nicely. Seems like they take good care of the landscaping, can't help but think about how much water they must need to keep things so green.... We enjoyed our time at the tennis courts, which were surprisingly empty for most of our trip. We tried the ball machine and took a tennis lesson. The court fee seems a bit like "nickel and diming" in my opinion but then it's still cheaper than the hourly rates at the Four Seasons.

Service: The concierge was helpful and friendly. They did everything from help book our Sedona trip to getting Suns tickets to printing out my boarding passes to save me time at the airport. Prior to the trip, they were helping in pre-booking activities.

Helpful Tips: Renting a car is a must. There is free self-parking at the hotel so no need to pay the $26/day for valet. Hiking up camelback mountain is a nice vigorous walk, make sure you wear proper footwear as the last part of it is hand-over-hand bouldering. Sedona day trip is a most, we did it through a tour group (Detours) and they were great.

Food: We did not eat at the hotel at all except for the pool food and the cafe. So I don't have any real views here, sorry.

Complaints: The free self parking on Sat night required parking outdoors since there were many visitors at the hotel for dinner or a party... seems a bit wrong that hotel guests who are paying for overnight stay end up having to park outside while others just there for a few hours get to park inside and closer to the main entrance.

Overall, it was a nice hotel but nothing special. A good weekend getaway. The weather wasn't the greatest when we were there (cold spell), like 50s in the morning and up to 60's in the afternoon. I'm not sure if I'd go back to the Phoenician since it did not "wow" me. That being said, I wasn't necessarily disappointed either.

• Liked — Proximity to tennis, hiking, and restaurants
  • Disliked — Cost
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank nyL888
Indiana
Reviewed January 26, 2008

I was in town one night for a conference. I treated myself to this hotel rather than the one hosting the conference. What an excellent resort. I did not find the styling outdated at all! Beautiful rooms, excellent decor and some of the best resort "grounds" I've ever experienced! I would certainly recommend a stay at this resort. We arrived here from a one night stay at the Wynn in Las Vegas and I would say this place is nicer hands down (although I love the Wynn). Dinner at the terrace cafe was fantastic as well.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank adguy812
NYC, NY
Reviewed January 4, 2008

Overall, the location was beautiful -- but we found roaches in the bathroom (perhaps that's why housekeeping kept the lights on every time they were in our room). We also requested a 'late check-out', as our flight was later in the afternoon and had spa treatments booked. The front desk clerk and the supervisor would not budge an inch! They told us the 'entire hotel was booked-- so we couldn't keep the room for an extra hour'. It seemed that their next customer was their most important customer. From what I understand, there are many newer, cleaner hotels with more professional staff right down the road.

• Liked — The location, view and golf course were absolutely amazing!
  • Disliked — If you're willing to spend that kind of money, there are many better, cleaner, more upscale choices!
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank NewYorker2go
Hoffman Estates, IL
Reviewed January 4, 2008

We (family of 4) returned from the Phoenician last night and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We were in a casita, which was absolutely perfect, as we were on the ground level and walked right out to the relaxation pool area and beautiful koi pond. The bathroom was to die for, with a huge walk-in shower and large tub, double vanity. The service is exemplary, you know you are in a 5 star hotel. I was ill during our stay and the hotel doctor prescribed an antibiotic and had it delivered to our room within 2 hours. Food was very good, but you pay for it, as you do at any resort of this quality. I did not find the style to be outdated, as everything was maintained beautifully. We spent 2 days at the Westin Kierland prior to the Phoencian. It is also a beautiful property, but there is something about the Phoenician that adds elegance and grace. We would return to the Phoenician without hesitation.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
5 Thank pattyatips
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 30, 2007

I've never been sold on the "spa experience." It seems like a lot of hotels are trying to distract the traveler from the reality of the location. Although solid and luxurious, this hotel - to me - is ugly. Dated 70's style is like the Brady Bunch's home - no longer in style. Good impression of the place but I'm not "bustin' out" to go back. In fact, I'm going back to Phoenix and I'm going to try the Biltmore.

• Liked — Inside the room appointments
  • Disliked — The outside of the hotel
  • Stayed April 2005, traveled on business
2 Thank Pramstroker
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed December 4, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Phoenician after Thanksgiving for a shopping weekend in Scottsdale. Location is great, 5-10 minutes to various malls, old town shops etc. Staff, when we saw any, seemed bored. No one ever smiled, and they seemed annoyed when you ask for something. At this level, you shouldn't ever even need to ask for anything. Training seems desperately needed in regards to service. For this reason alone, this hotel should lose a diamond/star rating. Food also was very mediocre at various outlets, room service, cafe, lounge. We did not splurge for Mary Elaine's (which I am sure is still great), but the quality of food did not extend to the rest of the outlets clearly. I was served a chicken breast that was simply reheated and must have been stored for at least a day (hard and rubbery, yuck). The rooms are spacious with large bathrooms and nice balconies, but this resort should be perfect for the price.

• Liked — large bathrooms, seperate tub and shower, nice bath amenities
  • Disliked — service and food
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank la femme folle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsdale
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa
Paradise Valley
The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa

Been to The Phoenician, Scottsdale? Share your experiences!