“Not worth the money for a 5-star resort......”

The Phoenician, Scottsdale
Ranked #18 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Phoenix, Arizona
“Not worth the money for a 5-star resort......”
Reviewed May 29, 2011

Stayed at the Phoenician during Memorial Day weekend. They claim to be a 5-star resort, however nothing I experienced or saw was 5-star. I was able to get a pretty good rate of $159/night, however this hotel runs as high as $500/night. I've been fortunate to have stayed at a few high end hotels (Ritz Carlton) and The Phoenician doesn't come close to comparing. The room, while spacious (600 sq ft) was very dated and came with dual 'double' beds. When you're used to sleeping in a King bed downsizing to a Double bed is not luxurious to say the least. For a 5-star resort you would think they could at least upgrade to Queen Beds.

I'm a huge fan of modern hotels that have been updated and if this is what you look for in a hotel then The Phoenician shouldn't be your choice. I'm a Starwood Platinum member and so I was upgraded and they informed me all the rooms are the same and that the only 'upgrades' are the views from the room. I was given a 'pool' view. This is an upgrade from the standard 'building' view of the other rooms where you have absolutely no view at all.

Food was very expensive, but is pretty standard at hotels. Quality of the food/drinks was average at best and the pool services was terrible. We got to the pool around 9:00 am both days and had to wait til around 10:30 before a server approached us. If you want a pool chair make sure you get there by 9:30 as the poolside chairs get taken fast and it's like a cattle call to hold onto them. You cannot reserve chairs.

On one of the nights I tried to order pizza from a local pizza place. I called down to the front desk to ask for a few places that deliver. I was transferred about 12 times and after 30 minutes of being on hold had one of the bell hops answer my question and tell me that Pizza Hut and Papa Johns deliver (like I couldn't have figured that out). The Concierege (only one of them) was NEVER available to answer questions so unless you planned on waiting 45 minutes to speak to her you were on your own in terms of finding out what's around the resort. I finally found a pizza place due to my own research and ordered a pizza for the family. The best part of this is that the resort only allows the deliveryman to go to the guard gate which is 1/2 mile from the lobby/rooms. Therefore you either have to walk the 1/2 mile, get in your car and drive down or find someone to go pick it up for you. I was blown away by this. At the Ritz Carlton you'd have about 5 guys personally assisting you in getting the pizza.

The grounds and views are really nice and the pool is pretty decent (has a waterslide for the kids), but there is absolutely no way this place is a 5-star resort (maybe back in 1973).

If you're looking for nice resorts in Scottsdale, this would ranke outside my top 10. Take your chances at some others before wasting your money here.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Penrose72

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
Redington Shores, Florida
Reviewed May 28, 2011

The Phoenician is truly a first class resort. I stayed there many years ago for a business conference and today, it is still one of my favorites. We had excellent services, whether it was from the bell staff, concierge, housekeeper and restaurant staff. We had several excellent meals at the steakhouse and at Relish. Room Service staff went out of their way to please. I would definitely recommend this resort for anyone visiting the Phoenix area.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Redington Shores, Florida
Reviewed May 28, 2011

Everything about the Phoenician is top class. Rooms were beautiful with beautiful views of Camelback Mountain. We ate in most of the restaurants and were treated great. Food was wonderful and plentiful. Pool service was terrific. Staff was fantastic and did everything they could to make our stay memorable.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed May 27, 2011

The hotel was gorgeous! the golf course was clean and well maintained as were the rooms and common areas. We went for a golf weekend and everyone we enocountered was friendly and helpful. Definately planning a return trip!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Grand Haven, Michigan
Reviewed May 26, 2011

My husband had to be in Scottsdale for a Monday morning business meeting so we decided to stay some place nice to celebrate our anniversary weekend. We arrived around midnight and were instructed by the guard that room service was available but the restaurants were closed. It would have been nicer had he told us where we were to park! It is not clear if you are not familiar with the property. This was just beginning of the feeling of being fleeced. A $5 can of Coke from the mini bar ran $7+ by the time taxes, etc were tacked on. A $9 -4 cup pot of coffee ran almost $20 by the time taxes, svc chg and tip were included. We called the front desk on the first morning of our stay to see how much we would be charged to check out early. $330 plus all the fees, taxes etc...amount of one nights stay. We did stay just because of the expense of leaving early. We did not golf or swim. We did try to take a walk in the cactus garden they advertise. It was a small circle of sidewalks that went no where. The decor felt like 1980s Las Vegas. We were left leaving the property any time we could for meals and entertainment. There is a great breakfast place nearby called The Breakfast Club. Would not return or recommend to others.

Room Tip: Try another Scottsdale hotel
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank gotfatcat
South Riding, Virginia
Reviewed May 23, 2011

Stayed here with my wife for a couple of nights including our wedding night. I was really disappointed with the room. For the price they charge, it's not worth it. I've stayed in 2 star hotel suites that are more impressive. On a positive note, room service and food are excellent, however, I will not be staying here again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank uzytravels
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this review, May 24, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments. Your feedback is important to us, and is reviewed by our management team. Please note that all Phoenician suites are scheduled for renovation this summer, with a redesign that will blend traditional elegance with contemporary style. Combined with the premier pool or mountain views from the patio/balcony; and the luxurious Italian marble bathrooms with separate tub and shower, the Phoenician suites will bring a new look and feel to the guest experience. We hope you will consider The Phoenician for your future travels, and discover the numerous signature offerings that define our award-winning resort.
Parker, Colorado
Reviewed May 19, 2011

I would not normally choose this type of resort to stay at, but I was attending a wedding at the property that was an all-day affair (wedding ceremony, pool/cabana luncheon, cocktails and dinner at the restaurant). I would highly recommend a function at this property - the pools are wonderful. the grounds are beautiful and the food was delicious. But as far a a destination for some R&R? Maybe for a family. Or a golfer. Not for me

Without exception, employees were a pleasure - and made every effort to accomodate any requests. With a smile, even!

The rooms - they're OK. The brass fixtures, shabby towels and 80's vibe takes away from the luxury - but the beds were fabulous. As were the bath products.

The pool is very crowded on the weekends. Lots and lots and lots and lots of kids - and long long waits for poolside food and beverage.

The restaurants were pretty good - from burgers on the golf course to filet at the steakhouse, I was not disappointed. Meals served poolside were not as good, but not bad.

Overall, good experience - but have had much better 5 star accomodations.

The reason I would not recommend this hotel to a friend? There are other more modern hotels in the area that do not cost nearly as much - its just not worth the money.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Snoweater
We appreciate your review of your recent stay. It is with disappointment that we learn of your dissatisfaction with the room decor. This summer, all Phoenician suites are scheduled for renovation with an eye toward casual elegance. During spring break and the Easter/Passover holidays, the resort does tend to see more families. However, the fall/winter seasons provide our adult guests with a more relaxing, uninterrupted escape to the desert. We hope you were able to experience some R&R during your stay, with perhaps a visit to The Centre for Well-Being spa. Its signature Meditation Atrium and daily complimentary meditation classes are a great way to unwind and reconnect. Other areas of the resort, such as the two-acre Cactus Garden and the lush Orchid Lawn, provide quiet sanctuaries for guests. We hope you will try The Phoenician again in the future to enjoy the peaceful, legendary luxury for which we are known.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsdale
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa
Paradise Valley
The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa

Been to The Phoenician, Scottsdale? Share your experiences!