“Scottsdale's Hidden Gem”

and 1 more site!
SmokeTree Resort & Bungalows
Ranked #61 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed October 6, 2008

I had the opportunity to stay at the Smoke Tree Resort this last weekend to celebrate a friend's birthday. Although I have lived in Scottsdale for many, many years, I had never been to the Smoke Tree Resort and, boy am I sorry I waited so long. The place is fabulous! My fried having the birthday, stayed in the very large "Presidential Suite"... it had two bedrooms, a full kitchen, a formal dining area, a den, a large Great Room, a pool table room and a very large patio. There were about 35 guests at the party and the suite held everyone comfortably. I stayed in one of the nearby King Bungalows (#8) and it was great. Very, very clean and well appointed. The Resort doesn't have a restaurant, but that is not a problem at all as you can easily get to the many restaurants in Scottsdale. Several good ones are within easy walking distance. The property is very nice.... we spent a good amount of time on the patio just watching the stars... totally unaware that you were in the heart of Scottsdale. I wouldn't really recommend this resort for people with little kids as the pool is smaller than your typical "mega resort" (think more the size you would find in an average home). I think it is really better suited to adults who just want a beautiful and relaxing resort. Try the Smoke Tree... believe me, you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank latecheckin
There are newer reviews for SmokeTree Resort & Bungalows

Reviewed October 2, 2008

We booked three rooms at Smoke Tree for two single night stays before and after a Grand Circle tour. All 6 of us were positively tickled by how nice our rooms at Smoke Tree were! For just $95/night, we had what were, essentially, apartments, with full living rooms, dining room areas with nice tables and chairs, full size coffee makers, fridges, and microwaves, and in one, a HUGE walk-in closet. Furnishings were lovely, obviously new. All rooms had a very large flat screen TV, and some had 2 TVs. And the beds were extremely comfortable with great linens.

While there is no restaurant yet, the resort is right next door to a gourmet grocery store, with fantastic prepared foods and a big selection of wines and beer. There is also a Trader Joe's and a very decent Mexican restaurant.

The grounds are very nicely done and it's quiet and private, even though located on what appears to be a major thoroughfare.

And the folks who own and run the place are friendly and helpful. We all wished that we were staying at Smoke Tree longer and all commented that it would be a great place to visit again.

In all, Smoke Tree was a great find and a very lovely surprise (we're all from Baltimore, and for rooms like those we had at Smoke Tree, we'd expect to pay $300/night).

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank MB_Baltimore
Reviewed September 24, 2008

We stayed at the Smoke Tree resort on our last day of a trip to Sedona and the Grand Canyon before heading back home via the Phoenix airport. The property is undergoing construction and the promised restaurant is not yet complete, so it was a little off-putting at first but the room is wonderful. It's an older property but beautifully renovated and very quiet. The pool is small and not really useful for swimming, but it's pretty. Here was my problem: Wireless internet was advertised, and because we had been gone a week I had a great deal of work to catch up on. We could not get wireless in the room, and when I called the front desk I was told "Gee, I don't know what to tell you. My husband has gone out." We went to bed and at 6 am I called the front desk to see if I could use the wireless in the office because I absolutely had to have a contract in by 10 am Eastern time, but I was told no, I had to instead go around the corner to the market and use their wireless. When I checked out the woman I had spoken to the evening before was there and I tried to communicate to her that if you advertise wireless and people depend on that for business, they really need to offer it in one form or another. She just shrugged her shoulders. I requested a concession of some kind to compensate me for having to get up at 6 am and drive to a wireless point and she became irritated and said that the rates are low anyway, which wasn't really my point. I generally get along well with everyone, but I found the attitude at this place to be terrible and would not recommend it for that reason.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank Lynn-in-Chapel-Hill
STmanager, Manager On Duty at SmokeTree Resort & Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2009

The free wireless signal was having an issue
during this guests stay and their computer
could not find any of the three contact points on the Resort. We regret that there was this problem and have taken steps to fix the issue.

Reviewed June 30, 2008

I have been staying at Smoke Tree Resort in Scottsdale - actually in Paradise Valley - for about 30 years and have seen it grow by leaps and bounds!! The newly remodeled rooms and landscaping are wonderful with a very attentive staff. A.J.'s Fine Foods is a short walk away and the new REM restaurant will open during the summer of 2008. I can't imagine a better place to stay. Many of us who have been going to Smoke Tree for years and have become good friends - and newcomers are always welcome. We usually meet by the pool in the evening for a glass of wine and review the days activities. All guests at the Resort are invited to our Pool Parties - a great way to meet new people!! Many baseball fans come out in March for Spring Training. The Williams Family take great pride in their resort and are always available to answer questions and give suggestions for activities!! I highly recommend a week or so at Smoke Tree!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed June 1, 2008

I travel 75+ nights a year on business. I am reluctant to post about Smoke Tree Resort because it is such a hidden jewel that I selfishly want to keep it secret from the masses and all to myself. But, alas, I have to be honest and say this is a very unique place to stay. You are in the Paradise Valley - Scottsdale area, yet the feel is that you are in a secluded oasis in the desert. There are 26 bungalows (recently remodled with flat panel tv's and wireless internet (free). The place is family owned and managed and the owners really make you feel welcomed and that your business is appreciated. Each unit has its own patio with table/chairs. You can sit out in the morning drink your coffee, read your USA today, and watch the rabbits graze nearby. Something you can't do in my hometown of Houston (sweat, sweat) In addition, AJ's Fine Foods, a very up-scale grocery, is a 5 minute walk away. Has a GREAT deli! A new restaurant was being built on the 5 acre grounds. All of this for a VERY REASONABLE price. I give them 5 stars!!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank hitektex
Reviewed May 22, 2008

I was scheduled to visit a client on Monday and decided to arrive Saturday and spend a few days exploring the Phoenix area. Location was an important factor as was value ($100/night).

After many hours reading reviews on this and other sites, I stumble accross the Smoke Tree Resort in the Scottsdale area. I made my reservation through their website. It was a good choice.

The property is familiy owned and operated. Their restaurant is presently undergoing renovation (May 2008). The rooms are bungalow type surrounding a lovely heated pool and large shade trees (In Arizona?). The property is comfortably maintained and the rooms appear recently remodelled. Colin was helpful with advice on a few good local hiking trails and how to find them (Camel Back Mountain & 32nd Street) along with driving short-cuts through Scottsdale. I enjoyed the easy access to Scottdale, Downotwn Phoenix, The Botanical Gardens & The Heard Museum. I plan to visti again and next time bring the family along. A solid 3 star rating in my book!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank bf67
Reviewed May 8, 2008

Absolutely the best place to stay in Phoenix, and, no, I haven't tried any other hotels. This is old-school with old-style desert landscaping, eucalyptus and pine trees, cactus and citrus. Nice patio with table and chairs, screen door for the days you don't need the air conditioner.
I would really encourage out-of-country guests to stay here, this is very much what I grew up with back in the day, only nicer.
Very recent renovation, good beds, very nice linens, plenty of square footage. Small pool, bocce court, lounge chairs.
The dog of previous review is retired, too many tidbit-generous guests made for a couple of trips to the vet due to pancreatitis. She is home and on regular old dog rations.
Grocery store one-half block away with all the goods for hanging out on the patio including an excellent wine selection, espresso, fresh fruit, salad bar and cheeses galore.
A bit of road noise from the front, but not of any consequence. Not a place for those who need to be pampered, but if you're happy sitting in the sun, drinking a glass of wine, and painting your own toenails on the porch, this is for you.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple