“Maybe a 3 Star at best”

Fairmont Scottsdale Princess
Ranked #16 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed June 14, 2007

We stayed here a year ago but I feel obligated to share my views. The place is very outdated. It makes me question the people who hand out the service awards. It might have been a 5 Star 10 years ago. I think that is the last time it was updated. The Bathrooms were pathetic. The airport 3 Star hotel had nicer bathrooms. The rooms are small and ugly. (Very outdated.) The shampoo and soap they give you smells like something an old lady would wear. The pool was very dirty and there were groups of kids throwing footballs across the pool. I witnessed a newborn get hit. There was no one to tell them to stop. The food was ok. There are much better places to stay.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank stjames55
Write a ReviewReviews (3,513)

Reviewed June 11, 2007

We stayed here during sprink break. The resort appeared to be fully booked and there was a large conference going on. But the service was excellent. We felt like we were the only people staying there. Whatever service we asked for, we heard yes. Every employee we encountered, including maids, groundskeepers, service people, waiters smiled and said hello. Many times we were asked if we needed anything. Bellman in golf carts offered us rides. The rooms are large, beautiful and quiet. Beds are very comfortable. The onsite restaurants are very good. The Mexican restaurant was wonderful. Concierge service great. It is expensive, but I didn't regret spending the money. You get what you pay for here. We were sorry to leave. If you are visting Scottsdale or Phoenix for any reason, this is a top choice.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank John-n-Cindy
Reviewed June 5, 2007

My wife, 7 year old daughter, and I spent 5 nights at this hotel and had a absolutely great time. We had booked a swim/fun package at $249 per night, which included a deluxe room $100 per day in food/beverage charges. The weather was hot, but not unbearable, and the pools made all the difference.

Check in was flawless, and even included a check in desk for our kiddo, where she completed her registration and got a free stuffed bunny. Valet parking was free during the day, but there is an overnight charge of $23, so most days we valeted during the day, and then moved the car to a convenient self parking lot at night. The valets were very helpful and offered information on the local area and restaurants.

Our room was large and overlooked the lagoon and golf course. LARGE bathrooms, and nice balconies. The only complaint is that the rooms, and the hotel are a bit older, and show a little age, but they were just fine for us. The TV's could use an upgrade, but we didn't watch very much TV. Great maid service and turndown service each evening.

The pools were great. All are open 24 hours, and cater to different crowds, so everyone seems happy. The main pool is more for adults; the sports pool is a mix of adults and kids; and the Sonoran Splash pool with huge water slides and "walk in" end was mainly for kids and adults that wanted to have fun and make some noise. All had great service from friendly servers. There were friendly life guards at the end of the slides to help if any youngsters needed it.

The kids club was perfect! We felt a little guilty dropping her off there the 2nd day we were there as we had a tee time, and hurried back afterwards to "rescue" her. She didn't want to leave, and wanted to go each day from 9am to 4pm, which gave my wife and I a chance to re-connect - a pleasant surprise that we weren't expecting.

While the package was nice, you can burn through $100 quick in food/beverage at this place, but it did minimize the blow. We ate like royalty at the hotel for breakfast and lunch/drinks by the pool, and then each evening tried some great local restaurants. We did eat one dinned at The Grill at the TPC, which is the course associated with the Fairmont. It was good, but expensive. Try Roy's at the JW Marriott for dinner: Great food, and kid friendly. There are also numerous shops and restaurants within a 2 mile drive - Kierland is amazing.

The staff was perfect. Absolutely everyone was helpful and friendly, and wanted to make sure we enjoyed ourselves. Every request was met with a "its my pleasure" or "absolutely". The kids club workers were excellent and the concierge was very helpful.

We stayed away from the spa....way too overpriced. I recommend Massage Envy down the road if you want a massage.

There was alot to do here for everyone. There was bocce ball, ping pong, basket ball, volleyball, badmitton, croquet and evern fishing in the lagoon - rent the poles at the sport shop and catch some fish! We caught 6 good sized pan fish in 30 minutes. Great fun for my daughter! On Friday and Saturday nights they have a "dive in" movie at the main pool. You can float in the pool while watching a movie. They showed Toy Story and Herbie Fully Loaded while we were there.

Golf was great, and cheap at this time of year. Only $70 per round at the TPC Stadium course!

Here's a tip: complete the registration on the Fairmont website to become a Presidents Club member. This gets you free internet and use of their Taylor Made golf clubs for free as well. Priority check in and check out too. This saved us the hassle of bringing our clubs with and these complimentary clubs are very good.

While the hotel is showing her age a little, it is a beautiful place with well manicured grounds and a great staff. Be prepared to spend some money, and tip well, and you will be rewarded with great service and friendly smiles.

We can't wait to go back! Don't be afraid of the poor reviews - this place is still great and is Five Star in my book.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
8  Thank djstraveler
Reviewed June 1, 2007

Our first visit to the Scottsdale Princess lived up to our expectations. I say first visit because we are sure we want to go back.

We arrived a few hours before normal check-in time. The desk agent answered my question about a room with a view by saying we had a deluxe room (a free upgrade since a standard room had been booked) with a nice view of the lagoon. We did have to wait a little over an hour but they took our cell phone number and said they would call us. He also directed us to the Fairmont President’s Club desk should we need anything else during our stay. We got a map of the extensive hotel grounds and wandered around until we found a perfect place to relax and wait while we checked our e-mail (wireless is free to President’s Club members).

Our room was as promised with a great view. We were in room 3084 on the top floor in a wing overlooking the lagoon and golf course and in the distance of the mountains. I had requested that we not overlook the pools since we prefer a quiet atmosphere while sitting on our balcony. Based on my many walks around the resort there is no such thing as a bad view from any of the basic or Deluxe rooms. The gardens are lovely. None of the rooms has the remote possibility of overlooking a parking lot or other ugly area. I would think that the least appealing view might be that of the rooms that overlook the tennis courts but even those have a buffer of the garden, cactus, palm trees or other greenery. However it is possible to get a view obstructed by foliage and ground floor rooms patios have less privacy.

Actually the rooms that I thought had the worst views were the most expensive, some of the villas or casitas have patios that are adjacent to the sidewalks and overlook other casitas. The best casitas overlook the golf course.

We did have the extra long hallway into our room from the front door that was mentioned in a previous review. We didn’t find that to be a problem. We actually liked that the hall give us more of a buffer between the bathroom area and the bedroom.

The room had a large bathroom with two sinks, a deep tub and a separate shower. The toilet was enclosed with a rather clever door arrangement from the main part of the bathroom. The bathroom had nice toiletries, a big basket of extra towels, a scale, a hairdryer, a lighted shaving/makeup mirror and two plush robes.

In the entry hall to the bathroom there is a good size dresser and a walk-in closet (with an iron and ironing board). There is also a linen closet with extra shelves and a keyed safe. Someone in a previous review mentioned the insecurity of the safe. I left all my cash and credit cards in the safe and my husband put his computer equipment in it. One day when he removed his computer he forgot to relock the safe. We left it all day standing wide open unlocked with my belongings and nothing was disturbed.

In the hallway to the bedroom there was a wet bar with the typical overstocked minibar fridge so there was no room for our snacks. I never checked the prices since we don’t use minibars. They did provide free coffee and tea along with a small coffee maker and a small hot water/tea maker. It was nice to have the extra sink in the wet bar since it was a distance from the bathroom.

The bedroom was well configured with a seating area and a large wall unit for the TV with lots of shelf space. It did not have a newer flat screen TV but there was a CD player on the desk which we liked having. The very comfortable king size bed was in an alcove on the side of the room that made the room more spacious. There was a work desk with two chairs.

The balcony had two chairs and a dining table. It was very comfortable to sit out there in the morning and evening (even though it was in the 100s in early May). But our room faced southwest which made it quite hot in the direct afternoon sun.

The hotel grounds were beautiful with a walking trail winding through the gardens and lagoon area. The trail is adjacent to the golf course and lagoon so views are nice. There is a large green lawn that is set up for lawn games such as putting, volleyball, badminton, croquet, etc. The games were removed from the lawn one evening so it could be set up for a corporate party.

There were a number of convention groups at the hotel but since the grounds are so large the convention activity does not bother the other guests. The hotel has a large convention building that is separate from the lobby and other hotel buildings.

We wanted to try the famous Hacienda restaurant but it was closed on the only night we had available. We did eat breakfast and dinner as the Bistro and thought the food was good. We had tapas and drinks at the outdoors patio café that were good. My only food complaint was the breakfast we had at the patio café (two pastries and a bowl of cereal for over $16) was only so-so. We had room service for a late lunch one day that was good but not great. I thought it was odd that they did not wheel in a normal room service table but brought the food on a large tray assuming that we would be able to put in on our room table. Well, our room table was in use with my husband’s computer equipment and the room server seemed confused and simply left the tray. I did like that the server presented the bill in a small envelope telling me that gratuity was already included. Most hotels charge gratuity and a delivery fee for room service but the server still asks you to sign a receipt that has a place for a tip. I think for some people this can be confusing and they add a second tip.

We were attending one of the conventions and the convention buffets were exceptionally good food. It is hard to pull off food that good for large groups and these were some of the best meals we've had.

The pools are very nice and were not overly crowded during our stay. They did fill up quite a bit on the weekend but we were still able to find lounge chairs. I do think they should either put up more umbrellas or add some cabana style lounge chairs since the Arizona sun is quite intense. Many people were looking for chairs in the shade.

All of the staff was extremely polite and pleasant. They are apparently very well trained and it shows. I contacted the hotel to inquire about a car service from the airport and the concierge handled that for me and just added the charge to our room. I did prefer the Execucar service that I booked for the return trip better than the service they chose but it was convenient for me not to have to deal with it.

If we were not there for convention we would definitely rent a car. The free self parking lots are easy to get to and it necessary to have a car if you want to do any sightseeing, shopping or restaurant hopping without incurring huge taxi fares. I asked about transportation from the hotel into Old Town Scottsdale and the car transportation they recommended was very expensive. There is a free shuttle to the TPC golf club house and The Grill restaurant.

This was a lovely, well-maintained and well-staffed hotel. We would love to return.

8  Thank babygoon
Reviewed May 20, 2007

We stayed at this resort in May 2007. It was through my husband's company so I can't comment on the price of the rooms. We had a room in one of the villas which was very nice and also quiet. The bathroom was huge. Another poster complained about the towels and yes some were not that soft. The pool towels were very soft. The resort is huge and very clean. There are birds and rabbits on the grounds. The food was really good, but expensive. Breakfast for 2 at the LV Bistro ran about 45$ with tip. The La Hacienda restaurant was also very good and about 135$ for 2 people. There are several pools to use. Some of our friends used the spa and loved it, but it was way to pricey for us. The hotel is located right in Scottsdale so there is alot of shopping and restaurants right outside the grounds. The only negative was that housekeeping would come into our room even when the privacy sign was on the door, so be careful leaving valuables in your room or use the safe. The staff there were extremely helpful. I would defenitely stay there again.

2  Thank Egan4569
Reviewed May 14, 2007

We had a marvelous vacation at the Fairmont. We stayed in a Casita Suite which had a living room that was seperate from the bedroom. I think the woman that previously stated that the rooms were all together had actually booked a signature Casita Suite. I made sure that the living area and bedroom were separate upon booking and was not disappointed. Our stay lasted six wonderful days. Our only gripe is that we wished we could have stayed longer. From the time we arrived until we left we were treated like royalty. We were not charged extra to have the bellman bring our luggage to the room which was stated in a previous review. We were quite happy that we did due to the fact that we were traveling with our two children, ages 5 and 7, and would have had to climb stairs to our room with the children and bags. The room was very nice. The resort is very spacious but we really enjoyed walking around the grounds. My children were so excited to spot bunnies, turtles, and Blue Herons on each of walks to the main area and pools. They had no problems walking the distance. The resort also offers golf carts to bring you from one place to another but we never took advantage of that because we loved exploring( especially the fragrant garden full of beautiful roses and the lawn games). Overall, our stay was terrific! The towels were fine, the beds were great, and the grounds are just gorgeous, Very nice hotel with a great staff. Especially the Casita Butler who took time to teach my son each of the types of birds that fly (doves, sparrows, and others) around the resort. He also let my sun feed the bunnies pears. A very nice touch!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank scoutLouisiana
Reviewed May 3, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Scottsdale Princess for three nights during a conference, and we liked it very much -- so much so that we are going back on our own for a week next spring. We've stayed at the Camelback Inn, the Phoenician, and the Arizona Biltmore, and the Princess was our favorite. It is, first of all, in a more dramatic area of Scottsdale than the other places, as it is pretty far north where the land is not so flat. It is also a large resort that doesn't feel like a large resort, so there are lots of pools, activities, and dining options. Our room was larger and nicer than the rooms we've had at the other places. And the staff was extremely nice and helpful in all respects.

5  Thank CamboIII