“Great place, BUT.........”

Ranked #12 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Pennsylvania
“Great place, BUT.........”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2006

Our stay at the Fairmont Scottsdale Princess was wonderful. It was a beautiful resort and very relaxing. The pools are gorgeous and there wasn't a million little kids running around like maniacs. It was a great place for couples. BUT, don't think for a minute that your valuables are safe, not even locked up in the safe. I locked my purse in my room safe and my credit card was stolen out of the locked safe, which I didn't realize until I got home and the credit card company called to notify me of suspicious purchases made in Arizona. As soon as I found out I called the Fairmont Scottsdale Princess to report it to security, they took my information, and that was all. We never heard from them again, not even an apology. So, I recommend if you take something valuable with you keep it on you at all times. Also, the housekeeping staff could do a better job cleaning the rooms, our floor was never swept and we had a stain on our sheets. Other than that it really is a nice resort.

• Liked — It was relaxing
  • Disliked — Personal items taken from my locked safe
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't leave valubles in your room
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
6 Thank MD100

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (650)
Danbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2006

My husband, daughter and I spent two nights at the Princess following a 1,349 southwest road trip. At this point we were dusty tired and needed some TLC. The Fairmont fit the bill!

Got a great deal from travelzoo for $99 a night, and when asked by the reservationist, we decided to join the hotel's Presidential Club. A good idea because we were upgraded to a huge 850 sq. ft. villa and got a discount off our spa bill.

The room had a huge bathroom with sunken tub and two-person shower. There was a large sitting area and a terrace. Very comfortable. We used room service once, and the food (pizza and a stir fry) was good, better than expected. Also, they were serving pastries at poolside one morning and they were delicious!!

The Willow Stream Spa was a wonderful, soothing respite. Yes, you will pay dearly, but you will get what you give. A big hit for us was the aromatherapy room. Simple but very refreshing. We treated our daughter to the Havasupai Oasis treament and she really enjoyed it.

I got a manicure and pedicure at the spa from a charming local woman named Sylvia who has been doing nails for years. It makes me feel good to help working people like her make a living (speaking as a working woman myself). And she did a wonderful job with my aching feet.

Concierge services helped us a great deal with directions to a restaurant (Roaring Fork, highly recommend!!), and a hospital when my husband took ill with what turned out to be Lyme disease. (He's better now.) The hotel offered a private car service to take him to the hospital but it was so close by I was able to drive him. When I needed to extend our stay an extra day the Fairmont just charged me another $99.

What can I say? It's those qualities that will make me a Fairmont fan...when I needed them they were there.

Would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Soothing spa treatments.
  • Disliked — Expensive, but worth it.
  • Tips/Secrets — Join the (free) Presidential Club and get perks.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
6 Thank Voyagereuse
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2006

I can't say enough about this resort and spa. I was looking for a place to do absolutely nothing but eat, spa and be waited on. And that is exactly what happened! They pick you up at the airport in an SUV, you're greeted like you're a Queen when you arrive; and we got everything and more that we asked for during our entire stay. We stayed in a villa with a private pool which we didn't use because we loved the service at the big pool. The restaurants are five star and the bellhops went over and above their jobs! It's pricey, but worth it!

• Liked — Service
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank skifamily
Denver, CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2006

This was my second visit to the Princess and my best one so far!! I stayed in a Presidential room (I highly recommend the extra money for this elegant room with fireplace, canopy bed with sumptious linens and a marble bath to die for!! ) I spent time at Willowstream Spa - I highly recommend the facials and don't forget the amazing massaging waterfall - one of my favorite things of all! Service is awesome and definitely plan to spend time at the rooftop pool at Willowstream if you like quiet and comfort !

• Liked — top notch resort and service
  • Disliked — cannot think of anything - I am going back!!
  • Tips/Secrets — don't stay in the Fairmount Rooms next to the Valve Room - too noisy
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
4 Thank LUVVSTravel
San Francisc0
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2006

This is a delightful hotel first and foremost from the standpoint of service. I stayed in the casita suites, and there is a casita butler assigned to your room. I was contacted by him prior to even arriving at the Fairmont. They were available to book reservations, print out boarding passes, make spa appointments, and much more. The housekeeping staff was super attentive, and any issues were immediately addressed. One morning, around 9:00 or 9:30, I wanted to have breakfast out on the patio, however, there was a service cart outside and a gardener with a gas powered blower. One quick call to the front desk, and both were gone.

The rooms are more than adequate for the price - quite spacious - about 650-700 square feet and very well stocked. Room service is 24 hours, and contrary to what the previous reviewer said, there are numerous high calibre restaurants within a very short distance - less than 2 miles.

I would definitely stay here again.....

• Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
3 Thank Denny1234
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2006

This was my first visit to a spa resort for a little quality "me-time," and the Fairmont Princess certainly lived up to all the images I've gleaned from television and movies in my 38 years. I especially loved my luxurious room on the ground floor with a lanai overlooking a fish pond, a perfect spot to read the Sunday paper or nibble on a snack. However, I spent most of my time taking advantage of the spa--exercising in the morning, enjoying a massage or facial in the afternoon, and relaxing in the steamroom and sauna in the evening. In three days, I felt rested, rejuvenated, and ready to book my next spa vacation! Previous reviewers have mentioned that the resort and restaurants can be expensive. If you are like me, a first-timer on a budget, I can offer some tips on how to stretch your dollar at the Fairmont. First, join the President's Club when you book--this will give you a 10% discount off all spa services, free access to the fitness room, and complimentary high speed internet access. Don't eat at the breakfast buffet--the LV Bistro is cheaper and the meal is quite large. (Since I was by myself, I ate only half and saved the rest for my dinner a la' college student days.) Skip lunch--the spa offers complimentary, healthy snacks and drinks that can tide you over until dinner. (You are there to lose a few pounds anyway, right?) And oh, yes, leave the mini-bar locked! Enjoy your stay!

• Liked — Willow Stream Spa
  • Disliked — Housekeeping was a bit fanatical--they knock even if your privacy sign is up!
  • Tips/Secrets — Rooftop spa pool is quieter than main pools, but get there early or it's just as crowded!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
5 Thank aster_blue
Oxford
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2006

My partner, son and I stayed at the Fairmont Princess in August 2006 and having stayed at quite a few 5 star hotels in the US had high expectations. We were somewhat disappointed!
For the first couple of days we were having a great time and the actual facilities at the hotel couldn't be faulted. However, it soon became apparent that the hotel just hadn't got enough staff and the ones that were there were not of the standard one would expect for the prices we paid.
Problems started when my partner played 18 holes on the TPC course. We were warned that there was some construction work on the 17th & 18th but were assurred this wouldn't affect play. However, when my partner went to retrieve his ball he stepped in newly laid concrete, to add to his woes (new but now dirty shoes) he was shouted at by one of the contractors who had omitted to cordon off the area!
I myself had trouble at the spa when I was asked to sign my bill, including gratuity, on the way IN, no one had even laid a finger on me and I was asked to part with $329! I also had a bad reaction to the Tranqwillow treatment but the spa promised to withdraw that treatment as others had also suffered bad reactions. They also gave me 50% refund.
Only three out of the five restaurants were open which was not obvious until we had checked in despite the hotel assurrances that it was posted on their website. This was annoying because the hotel is some 30 minutes from the centre of Scottsdale so eating choices were limited.
Lastly, we were looking forward to the dive in movie on a Friday only to dicover that the hotel stops serving food and beverages 30 minutes after the movie starts. When I pointed out to the manager that we had frequented their almost empty bar/restaurants all week and this was a golden opportunity for them to make an honest buck to a captive audience I was told that they 'didn't want to spoil everyones enjoyment of the movie by serving food/drinks - but we could order room service to be delivered poolside if we wished'!
Not impressed!

• Liked — Room
  • Disliked — Service
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't expect too much for your money
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
7 Thank KLaser
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsdale
The Phoenician, Scottsdale
#16 of 75 in Scottsdale
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,128 reviews
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Paradise Valley
The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa

Been to Fairmont Scottsdale Princess? Share your experiences!