“Wonderful Visit!”

Ranked #17 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
A TripAdvisor Member
Indy, IN
Reviewed May 31, 2006

This is a great place to vacation. The resort is right in the heart of new Scottsdale, but you feel isolated and away from the hustle and bustle. You have access to all the trendy and fine dining you could ever want within 5 miles, plus the hotel services. The Spa is a great experience. Our 7 year old loved the kids program, insisting on going back a few mornings. We had a refrigerator brough into a our room to help defer some costs for breakfast and lunch time meals a few days during the week. Nice place. Great service. Kids pool is a lot of fun.

• Stayed: May 2006
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for Fairmont Scottsdale Princess

Reviewed May 30, 2006

95 out of 100
I'll try to be succinct and to the point.
Parking: Plenty of attendants offered to help. We took in our own baggage and self-parked very close to the entrance.

Check in: Our room was promised by 4 pm and was not ready until 4:30pm and they gave us 5 coupons for free beverages for the inconvience, value $40 approx. Fine by me. Kids had a "Kids Check in" where they got $10 if Gift Certificates for the shops.

Grounds: Beautifully landscaped. Lots of Palm trees and cactus. Very Southwestern.

Room: A Casita that was very nice for $369 over Memorial Day Weekend. Private balcony, separate bedroom. Big bath and shower and walk in closet. Decor was a little out dated but nice. Very roomy for family of 4.

Pools:
Casita Pool: Small pool by the Casitas with jacuzzi, open 24 hrs. A mellow atmosphere.
South Pool: Largest pool near center of hotel. It was clean and warm. Dive in movies a night on the weekends. Service was good. Get there early to reserve a chair. It gets crowded by 930 am.
East Pool: Second largest pool, least crowded. Was clean and warm. Has bathrooms nearby.
Senoran Splash: Kids pool with 2 waterslides. Pool was kind of cold and VERY DIRTY. Not sure why, maybe lots of urine. I don't know. This pool has the most shade areas. Pool had 6 cabanas. Service was pretty quick. Girls watching the slides seemed more interested in socializing with each other than making sure guests followed the rules and kids were safe.

Restaurants:
La Hacienda: Very good. Expensive. Mariachis playing music
LV Bistro: Quiter. Very good food. Expensive

Room Service: Promised in 30 minutes, came in 30 minutes. 2 guys put down table cloth and set up dinner and silverware. Very good service. $62 for Adult Hamburger, Chicken Cesar Salad, kids hamburger, kids grilled cheese, spinach artichoke apetizer. I felt a good value. Automatic 21% gratuity and $5 delivery fee.

Drinks everywhere are expensive as well as food by the pool. Cabanas are $125 a day with mandatory 21% gratuity. There are 6 at Senoran Splash and 6 at the South Pool

Got a golf cart ride from Casita to Senoran Splash. Called the desk and they said 5-10 minute wait and the guy was there in 5 minutes. If you are walking the grounds beware of these carts, they drive them fast.

Pros: Good service, Good food. Senoran Splash was great for kids, they didn't care it was dirty water and it has a beach entrance for the real little ones. Get your chairs by 9 am on weekends. Dive in movie is good for families, but could be bothersome if you have a room nearby. Grounds were beautiful and staff is always trying to please. Bunny rabbits everywhere. The hotel was at capacity but it did not feel overcrowded, probably because of the size. Turn down service was good and room was always cleaned while we were out.

Cons: Old decor in the Casitas. Must get pool chairs early. Expensive food drinks. Very large grounds my room was on the complete opposite of the resort from the pool we used. We did see a 3 foot long snake on the path to our room at night. It was NOT a rattler. We just stopped and let it go by. Just be aware that you are in the desert and they could be nearby. They did not have enough foam pillows and my kids are allergic to the down pillows in the rooms. They got us a foam pillow the second night. Maps around the hotel are plentiful but not very good. I recommend the husband get up early the first morning there and just walk around and find out where everything is.

Tips: Get your pool chairs early on the weekend. I went to Safeway on Scottsdale Rd 5 miles from resort and stocked up on beer/wine and snacks. I bought a foam ice chest and kept the drinks on ice in my room. It'll save you $100-$200 if you like to drink kike we do. Walk along the lagoons at the back to get to places quickly.

Overall Great Resort

9  Thank kacnjmcsdad
Reviewed May 30, 2006

I stayed here over Memorial Day Weekend for two nights. Everywhere else in the country during this time is pure madness, except everything was completely tranquil at the Princess. This is truly a 5 star hotel with all of the bells and whistles. I was traveling with my 2 young children (ages 2 and 4 years) and I had the most relaxing time. There was a casual restaurant with amazing food and there was a huge room adjacent to the dining room for the kids to play in while we ate our dinner. It was equipped with a big screen tv, tons of toys and plenty of space to move around.

The pools were amazing. There were two waterslides and a zero entry pool. They even had a dive in movie where you watched the movie on huge screens at the pool area. The staff was very friendly and always professional. My only complaint was the housekeeping staff - they were banging on our door while the kids were napping. They had no consideration for the occupants.

Stay here, you will not be disappointed.

5  Thank Kameron101
A TripAdvisor Member
Nebraska
Reviewed May 18, 2006

We stayed at the Scottsdale Fairmont Princess on our honeymoon in June 2003. We loved everything about it. The resort itself is very attractive and elegant and the staff does everything to make the guests feel at home. The three main pools were great to lounge by and were never too busy. The waterslide was a favorite for the kids at the pool. We especially liked how helpful the conceirge was when helping us book outside excursions. The trips were somewhat pricey but well worth it. Our highlights of the trip were going into Sedona on a day trip, hot air balooning and attending a Diamondbacks baseball game in 10th row seats thanks to the Scottsdale Fairmont Princess. I would highly recommend this hotel if you want a relaxing vacation spot where you are treated like royalty. My husband and I enjoyed it so much that we are planning on going back in July. (Tip - if you decide to go and can stand the heat, June and July are the cheapest times to go. In July you can get a room for $149 while in October the same room is $489)

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 16, 2006

My wife and I headed to the Fairmont Scottsdale Princess after reading the great reviews on this website. (We love Trip Advisor!) We went for five days and four nights, and we took advantage of "The Girlfriends' Package" (doesn't matter the sexes of the guests to take advantage of this promotional offer). The package included our room, breakfast, lunch, and one spa treatment per person **each day.** I think we paid $850/night...and it was definitely indulgent...but we LOVED it!

Let's just start with the staff: Perhaps the friendliest staff we have ever encountered anywhere. EVERY SINGLE STAFF MEMBER we saw or passed in the halls would acknowledge us with a smile. It became a game between my wife and me to see if we could pass a staffer who wouldn't speak to us. Never happened.

As you will read from other reviews, the rooms are not new. They look between 15-20 years old, but they have been updated. We found our room quite comfortable and *very* clean. We also appreciated how quiet it was at the hotel. We slept great!

THE SPA IS THE MOST AMAZING SPA WE HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The spa is brand new, and it is *breathtaking.* Even on our last day at the spa, we were still in awe of the beauty (and size) of the facility.

While there, I had the very best massage of my life (twice!) with a therapist named Bryan Buchanan. I strongly recommend him. Very strong...and his deep tissue massages will...well, I can't come up with the words to describe how amazing they were.

We never ate dinner at the hotel. (Our favorite off-site dinner place, btw, was a super fun restaurant near the hotel called "Sapporo," located on Scottsdale Road. One of the most fun restaurants we have ever visited. We wish that they would open a branch in Los Angeles.)

We ate breakfast in the restaurant or via room service. Was always good. Ditto for lunch, which we ate at the spa or at the pool.

In closing (and this may sound silly), I need to give props to the front door staff: They were great. Just super friendly and charming young men who made sure that, whether coming or going, every guest had a smile on his/her face. I don't know how the hotel finds -- and hires -- the most charming guys in Phoenix, but they do.

The Fairmont Scottsdale Princess is not a hotel that we can afford to visit often...but we look forward to our next, special viist there.

• Stayed: April 2006
9  Thank dcdude
Reviewed May 14, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Princess two nights for a business convention. In case you are considering paying their $475 per night rate, consider the fact that conventioneers only pay about $215 to $220 per night (plus some other fees). It is immaculate, and staff was everywhere and tending to your every need. Maybe too much so for me. It seemed pretentious, but then I generally don't like this type of hotel. I have simpe tastes, and don't mind carrying my own luggage and tending to my own needs. The worst part was the food. Nothing special here in any way, shape or form. I had high expectations for the food, but was very disappointed. The best part was the rooms, they are very spacious and well appointed. We also liked the birds and rabbits, they are everywhere. If you love being pampered, love perfection, love going to the spa, love golf, and are of the country club set, this is your place. But for the rest of us, we will keep it simple.

Stayed: May 2006
6  Thank docdiamond
Reviewed May 8, 2006

Stayed here for 4 nights in a Casita room - absolutely beautiful room. The staff here is so friendly and accommodating. They cannot do enough for you. The hotel grounds are so gorgeous and peaceful. I cannot wait to return here.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business