“Ticks all the boxes”

Ranked #13 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
UK
“Ticks all the boxes”
Reviewed December 15, 2009

As part of our Southern California & Arizona trip this hotel was our budget breaking treat and it was worth it.The resort has all the facilities one could wish for in a beautiful and tranquil setting.We upgraded to a casita and slept with the windows open in perfect peace.
The large grounds were well groomed and a joy to explore without following crowds of people.There is a variety of restaurants and lounges to enjoy good food and wine.The staff are attentive and helpful without being intrusive.Although we had carried out some research we were surprised at the amount and variety to do around Scottsdale.
The only negative was our stay was too short but we hope to rectify this in the future.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (661)
Cary, NC
Reviewed December 2, 2009

We stayed at the Fairmont for 4 nights at the end of October. The resort is beautiful. However, there were certain things that I feel prevent it from getting 5 stars. Our check-in was confused. The regular check-in said our room was ready, however when we arrived at the Fairmont Gold check-in, they said it was not. No one was available to bring in our bags, so we transported them ourselves.
Housekeeping was lacking. The ice bucket was never cleaned out from the prior guests, dirty cups were left in the room and the coffee pods not replenished. Additionally, the towels in the room were of poor quality & could best be described as rough.

That being said, everyone at the Fairmont Gold hospitality was wonderful and extremely helpful. The complimentary breakfast was absolutely delicious with the hot items varying every day. The Spa was also great.

If they could work out the problem areas, in husekeeping & check-in, Fairmont would rate a 5.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 29, 2009

My family just returned from 4 nights at the Fairmont. I thought it was a great resort.

We stayed in one of the 1 bedroom Cassita suites, which was very large and clean, though it could use a bit of a facelift. In walking past the main hotel rooms, it looked like the regular rooms had already gotten some newer amenities and possibly some renovations. I also saw that the room next to ours was a Jr. Cassista, which was essentially a regular hotel room with a sofa in it. If you're going to upgrade to a bigger room, I'd recommend going for the 1 bedroom or I probably wouldn't bother.

The property itself is beautiful and has something for everybody. I was there with my family, and there was a great family, friendly pool. There were 5 pools in total (one was in the spa), rafts floating in the pools, a couple of waterslides in one of the pools, and a couple of hot tubs. There was also a fishing pond! There was also a golf course.

It was a very large property, so I would not recommend it to people who cannot do a lot of walking. In fact, even though there were ramps and elevators, at times it was challenging with a stroller because I needed to hunt down those ramps. (once I figured out the layout it was fine).

The spa was stunning and I spent an afternoon there.

The restaurants on site were good; the steak restaurant was wonderful but expensive; there was a family friendly restaurant (LV Bistro), which was much nicer than the average family friendly restaurant. It even had a play area so my kids could happily play while we awaited our meals. Food and drinks were expensive, but any nice hotel will have that issue.

My only issues were that when we got there we left our car with the valet, and didn't realize they'd charge for parking (It's free if you self-park). I would've liked them to tell me that... for a hotel with over 600 acres shouldn't be charging me over $20 a day in parking when I'm already paying over $300 a night for a room. And, some room upgrades are in order. But the property and all it has to offer are great.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank dinanicj
Montclair, New Jersey
Reviewed November 28, 2009

My husband and I decided to stay here after falling in love with the Fairmont in Maui. We were in for a little bit of a surprise. While the common areas (e.g., lobby, gardens, and pools) were beautifully maintained, the rooms themselves were a little dated. The buildings are definitely showing their age. We stayed here for a higher price than the new Intercontinental hoping that it would be more luxurious. However, we did stay one night at the Intercontinental on the back end of our trip, and we wished that we spent more time there.

The hotel is broken up into three different sections: the main section where all of the basic rooms were located, Casitas (little houses) which have their own parking area and pool, and the Fairmont Gold rooms (like a hotel within a hotel, but far away from parking).

At first, we were given a room that was oddly shaped and cramped in the main section of the hotel. When we noticed that the hotel was pretty empty, we asked for an upgrade, which Fairmont gave us (many thanks to Keasha for making that happen). We were upgraded to a Casita suite, which provided much more space and a fireplace. However, the fireplace didn't work. We called engineering, and they came quickly to fix it. The next night, the fireplace stopped working again. Also, interestingly, the television in the basic room was a flat screen, but the one in the Casita was a tube.

The property has heated pools, three of which (Casita pool, East pool and South pool) are open 24-hours. There are two jacuzzis (Casita pool and South pool). The Sonoran Splash pool features two waterslides.

The property had a lot of firepits (many of them located at the Stone Rose Lounge and two located at the Casita pool). Because we were staying in November, they brought some nice warmth at night when temperatures dipped.

If you are a golfer, the TPC golf course is on the property (we are not golfers, so I cannot say anything about the course).

There are also a ton of jackrabbits on the property, munching on grass. They were very cute!

If you do decide to stay at the Fairmont, you should sign up for a free membership to the Fairmont President's Club. Some amenities are not free if you are not a member.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Ontario
Reviewed November 26, 2009

Everything about the Fairmont Scottsdale is first class. Guests are treated with respect right from check in. I was there for a Sales Conference so I didn't have to worry about the price of anything BUT if I had to use my own money.... $7.00 for a bottle of Evian water is crazy! Since you are in the desert and you are always thirsty, if you don't want to drink the tap water, $7.00 is worth it?!!!?

The food, service, ambience and overall feel of the resort is fantastic. I would highly recommend it!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
calgary
Reviewed November 19, 2009

We upgraded to the Gold Floor upon arrival and it was so nice. The service in the Gold Floor Lounge was so great. They reccomended some great restaurants, knew us by name, appetizers were excellent, and so was breakfast!!! thank you
The grounds are very nice, large resort. We went to the spa and really enjoyed the facilities. the little muffins were soooo good, that was a nice touch along with all the iced teas, loved it!!!
We preffered the fairmont over our stay at the Four Seasons, as the service and perks were better, and location is better.
the lounge is also great and they have a steak restaurant also.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Maryland
Reviewed November 9, 2009

I guess I liked my stay, but I think I would have been happier someplace else. Here were my issues. Shower had mold on all three walls and under the glass door. The water for the shower took forever to get hot. You have to turn the shower knob ALL the way and just wait it out. Remember this if you are going to stay here. Sometimes the water that came out wasn't actually hot after all of that, but just sort of warm. The room had espresso machines, NOT coffee machines. Who drinks espresso in America anymore??? It tasted terrible. The font on the directions inside the lid of espresso supplies was written in number 2 font, so bring your maginifying glass. Our room was SO far from the front of the hotel. We were back by the tennis courts. The hotel was setting up for a big event in their little picnic corral area, and all I heard from 3:41 in the morning on was back up sounds from the equipment they were using. The beds were too soft and I felt I was sinking through to the other side of the earth. I will say that the grounds were pretty. The lobby staff seemed polite, sincere and helpful. We paid 99.00 a night for our room, but a lot of nice hotels in the area have similar deals going. I don't think I had ever stayed at a five star hotel before. I have felt much more comfortable in three star hotels, and I've gotten a lot more sleep. The pools were nice. The one with the slides is furthest away, and they close down the slides around 4pm.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsdale
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
The Phoenician, Scottsdale
#19 of 75 in Scottsdale
Paradise Valley
The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa

Been to Fairmont Scottsdale Princess? Share your experiences!