“Gold Lounge experience unforgettable”

Fairmont Scottsdale Princess
Ranked #16 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

I traveled to Scottsdale for a conference, and my fiancé accompanied me. When we arrived after a long red eye flight, our room in building F welcomed us w an indiscriminate odor...so bad that our bellman called the front desk to get us moved. However, the story gets better. :) The front desk clerk apologized and immediately upgraded us to the Gold Lounge area. My, what a difference! The room size is considerably larger (a separate living area, 2 TVs, sizeable outside patio), bathroom is twice as large, and the amenities are priceless. After the golf cart delivered us to our room, we were introduced to the gold lounge. Five-star breakfast that changes everyday, cocktail hour each evening, welcome discount to use at the wellness spa, concierge onsite to assist w your every need... the list goes on. Wonderful stay once we seemed into our room. We will def return

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank wileyccoyote

Reviewed March 2, 2014

I have stayed here a few times in the past but not since the mid 90's. This February, I was back for a business conference. The place is still really beautiful but starting to show it's age and in need of some upgrading.
My room was very nice except for a couple of things. The bed was somewhat uncomfortable and pillows were cheap for such an expensive resort. However, I could get past this. The one thing I had a major issue with was the vent in the bathroom. You get in the shower and have no choice but to see this vent. It is caked with dirt and dust. You feel as though it has not been cleaned in years, and I honestly do not believe it has. It was disgusting and made me wonder how clean the rest of the room really was.
As for the resort itself, the people and staff were very nice. Being from NY I am somewhat used to overly expensive food and drinks but the Princess still managed to shock me, and that is not easy to do. Keep in mind that I was there on business and most of my food and drinks were purchased by other associates, or part of the conference. Well, one Sunday morning, I met with three associates, and we had some drinks, and lunch. Nothing crazy. The bill was over $500 for a personal pizza, a couple of chicken wraps and a dozen or so drinks.
This place is insanely expensive. Still, it was 82 degrees, and 10 back home so while in the moment, I really did not care. I won't even bring up the luggage handling fees (whether they handle them or not) or the hotel fees for the use of the amenities. You pay these whether you use any of them or not. They include the gym, use of facilities, and a host of things the typical user will not use. In other words, just a way to charge you for nothing.
To sum it up, this resort is still a beautiful property, and I would not hesitate to stay here again but to command such excessive prices for the amenities, food and drink, and services, it needs to be better.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Hotel and Grounds-Lovely atmosphere, landscape and service. Rooms nice but average for a 5 -star hotel. Also, keep in mind that actual room rate will go up $100-$200 when you see the final bill. A $29 tax and resort fee is added to the daily room rate AND separate taxes on the room. My personal feeling is that hotels should be upfront and honest about rates when you call. Fine print explaining additional fees is not OK. My first impression was that the resort fee was for use of the spa roof pool and those amenities above and beyond

However, beware of excessive "authorization fees" on your credit cards at desk. An authorization of $3,600 was put on my credit card for a $1,333. stay. Is that legal? Plus other authorization charges on my bank/debit card as well. Caused unnecessary angst and inconvenience. Tip Ask ahead what they will be charging and get it in writing. Also, check out in person rather than leaving putting yourself at the front desk staffs mercy.

Food- Fresh and Tasty but over priced. Breakfast $40-50+ for two

Steak House-Over Priced and Over-rated. Steaks $36-86. No veggie and potato included. No need to take advantage of guests at hotel who have limited options without a car. Suggestion: Rent Car and drive to local restaurants that are reasonable and provide good food and service.

Mexican-Nice if you like Mexican. Son and I had Chirros (sp ?) dessert... yum with three sauces (Chocolate, caramel and vanilla)...in edible chocolate cups. However, if you take a dessert to go another night the sauces are in plastic...same price but not chocolate cups.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 26, 2014

My husband and I stayed here the night of our wedding. The grounds are beautiful and the hotel is lovely, but I think it was overpriced for the suite itself. When you spend well over $500 for one night, I guess you expect a bit more than just an "average" room with granite in the bathrooms. We stayed in a suite with a view, and also had the romance package with champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, and roses. The view of the grounds was gorgeous, but I do not think I would pay as much as we did for a similar experience again. Maybe I was slightly unimpressed since I am an Arizona native.. but nonetheless, the rooms are just average. The staff was very friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 21, 2014

We stayed at the Fairmont Scottsdale in mid-January. I had stayed in this hotel 10 years ago and it was lovely then, but it has been wonderfully updated. Our room (we stayed in a deluxe king) was spacious and clean, and very quiet. While the hotel seemed to be fairly busy, there was a peaceful quiet vibe that we enjoyed very much. Breakfast was good, both the buffet and ala carte menu. The Mexican restaurant was also excellent. The overall service level was outstanding....everyone was extremely helpful and pleasant.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I got to the Princess about 5 hours before the Superbowl. In time for the lat few holes in the Phoenix Open. This is an A plus property. The maintenance, service food an amenities are top notch. My "Casita" room had a gas fireplace and anything else (including a view of the 7th green) you could want . Tye service was near perfect. The food excellant. The fitness center very good. One of the better places I've stayed. (I still protest the charge for wi-fi but.... I hope to return.

Room Tip: Stay in a Casita
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 18, 2014

This hotel coins itself as being a luxury hotel, when its really just a large hotel that hosts a lot of business conferences. Room was fine, small, up to date. They forgot to clean our room one day after calling to ask if they could nicely, they forgot again. After 2 calls it was cleaned. The service at the South Pool was like pulling teeth to get someone to come around to bring us a drink/food. The food at the pool was awful, paper thin, microwaved quesadillas. Would expect more from a Fairmont to have friendly pool staff who would want to keep serving guests to make $$/tips.

The spa got my appointment time wrong and then called me five times the week leading up to the trip to switch it back and forth 15 minutes. Each time I kindly explained I already received a phone call, so please make sure its marked right so I don't receive another call. When I arrived at the spa, it was still the opposite time of the fifth phone call. My massage was excellent though and the spa beautiful. The service is lacking of what a luxury resort should be. Overall, nice hotel, probably great for families due to 3 pools and one with a waterside. Just not a five star luxury resort.

Room Tip: Ask for a room by the south pool. Good views, close to restaurants and lobby.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank WineGolfSun
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsdale
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
The Phoenician, Scottsdale
#21 of 75 in Scottsdale
Paradise Valley
The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa

Been to Fairmont Scottsdale Princess? Share your experiences!