“Big resort with nice pools, spacious casitas”

Fairmont Scottsdale Princess
Ranked #12 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
melbounre
“Big resort with nice pools, spacious casitas”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We were here for a convention. I cannot comment on any food served in any outlets of the hotel. But we had a casita and several rooms booked. Our casita could do with new curtains and cushions. There was a musty smell and I discovered on almost the last day that the floor near one window was saturated with water shaping in from the ground. I could not open my windows on the first night, the next day maintenance said they were broken and the would have to order new ones, but the guy was great within ten minutes he returned with two bits of wood and we propped the windows open like that for the whole 8 days. The golf course view and location of my casita 5334 was wonderful, quiet and not near a walkway. It was spacious and had a fantastic closet and bathroom. I was easy to live in this room for so long the bed was great with nice linen but very high of the floor and was a source of amusement at the dinner table. The have lots of towels at all the pools and lots of chairs at most pools. If you don't like walking around a lot then don't stay here as everything is spread out. I had my hair done at the Salon and was very happy she did a great job, I also used the spa and had a fantastic massage from Chicco who has been massaging for17 years. It was one of the most expensive treatments I have had anywhere$169 for 60 min but I could not fault it and I am very fussy with massages liking deep tissue and a therapists with lots of experience and knowledge. I was very happy here except for the decor of the room looking a bit tired, I would love to select new fabric for drapes and fix the musty smell.

Room Tip: Look online at the map , depends where you want to be near
Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (657)
Dakota Dunes, South Dakota
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I will be brief, as I use these reviews and do not like to see ones that go on and on.

We stayed for one week. It was only family (two children 10 yrs, wife and myself). The resort property is beautiful and well maintained. We upgraded our room at arrival and the larger room was nice, but nothing more than a larger room with a small divider.

For the upgrade, we had several benefits. These include free WIFI, use of the spa facilities and the Gold Club Lounge. The lounge was nice for breakfast as it was buffet style hot and cold with several items for adults and children. Breakfast, snacks and non-alcoholic drinks were all included while in the Gold Club Lounge.

The food was average, but the service was very good while at restaurant and poolside.

We chose this location so our children would enjoy the reort too, but there is little for them to do exept go down one of two slides or swim. The kids club appeared to appeal to younger children and had lots to do for the little ones. We did rent fishing poles one afternoon, which was fun - but a one time sort of deal.

The front staff was welcoming and the shuttle to golf courses was quick and very helpful. The staff was very good and made tee times and helped us find things to do off the resort.

My wife had spa treatments and really liked - spent the whole afternoon there! I golfed both the Champions Course and Stadium Course and was impressed with the staff and course management.

The only reason I did not give 5-stars was because I felt like prices were almost to enormous for alcoholic drinks and food. When paying this much for a room, it seems that a company could be more reasonable in pricing. We did not mind paying more, but $7 for a beer and $11 for a mixed drink was steep in my book. Plus - the lack of activities on the resort for kids in the 10-yr range was somewhat disappointing.

Room Tip: If I had it to do over again - I would have asked to see the room before upgrading.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Chadly7883
westchester, ny
Reviewed April 5, 2013

This is our 2nd time visiting the Fairmont. We visited March 2013, the week before Easter.

Our room with 2 double beds was in the main building. The room was large enough for a family of 4 to spread out and the bathroom was plenty big (separate shower and tub, double sinks).

We appreciated that you could find space at the pools pretty much any time of day (unlike our experience at the Phoenician). The Fairmont has a lot of space around the pools so they are able to set up more chairs, and the chairs are not always right on top of other guests, so it's not a crowded feel. I love that they have many other areas just outside of the pool area where you could sit in a chair with a book, or even find a chair out of the sun, perhaps under an open-air area with ceiling fans. The waterslide was great for the kids. Pools were the perfect temperature. There's a small shop that sells pool toys and you're able to buy inexpensive floats or beachballs to use in the pool.

At night there are fire pits all over the property where you can just sit down and relax. (I was disappointed to read another reviewer mention that guests could buy a s'mores kit because we didn't know anything about that and my family would've loved it.)

We weren't crazy about the security at the pools. They check your bags as you walk in and there are several men in security t-shorts walking around the pool area. With so many security people it gives the feel that there's something to be concerned about. It is good that they're ensuring the pools are only used by registered guests but perhaps they could handle it more discreetly.

Service at the South Pool was great. Food is pretty good.

We ate dinner at La Hacienda and despite previous reviews and our own previous experience there, this year we were not impressed. It was just ok.

We ate breakfast at the restaurant near the south pool (I think it was Ironwood). Poor service and disappointing food although the kids breakfasts are fairly priced (maybe $7?). The Prickly Pear gift shop sells Starbucks coffee and pastries.

Nearby, we found great restaurants at Kierland Commons. AJs Fine Foods was about a 5-minute drive where you could pick up pastries or bagels for breakfast.

Overall the Fairmont is a really lovely sprawling property. We enjoyed being able to get up and take a walk around the property if we were tired of sitting at the pool. Every staff member (with the exception of one or two waitstaff) was friendly and accommodating. We would love to stay there again.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed April 4, 2013

My wife and I, together with our children, ages 18, 16, and 12, returned to the Fairmont March 27 - April 1, 2013.

Rooms. We stayed in the casitas. Our casita was in the Prickly Pear complex, ground level. Rooms are a bit dated. Our casita was average size, 2 full beds and a pullout couch. We also had room for a roll-away. The only complaint was the size of the beds, as they were on the smaller side for sure. We would much prefer queen size beds, especially at a resort like the Fairmont (and for the price that is paid each night). On the positive side, the bathroom, shower, and tub were all nice. The large closet provided space to store luggage, etc. out of the way from the main living space. Some casitas are closer to the pools, spa, spa fitness center, tennis, etc. than others so check this out in advance (area to stay will depend upon what you are looking for). The resort grounds are beautiful.

Food. We ate by the pool every day. We had good experiences from both the pool bar menu and the restaurant that is adjacent to the main pool. Customer service was always top notch and the food was good. We found the pool-side service to be good as well. They kept the drinks/food coming as often as we liked. We also ate at La Hacienda. We had heard many great things about the restaurant so thought we would give it a shot. While it was good, we did not find it to be great. We would recommend advanced reservations and securing outside seating if the evening weather is pleasant. We also spent a late afternoon at the TPC Stadium golf course bar/restaurant. We really enjoyed this place. Great atmosphere, good appetizers, wonderful drinks, and they had live music on the patio. Very nice! The resort shuttle will take you there anytime! The Scottsdale Quarter is very close to the Fairmont and we had a great time spending some evening time there as well. We would highly recommend the IPic Movie theater. While we never would have thought we would go to a movie on our vacation, it was a great experience. The theater is incredible and they serve great food from Tanzies and an adjoining establishment, as well as drinks during the movie. It is definitely worth checking out.

Pools. We spent most of our time at the pools during the day, as the weather was incredible. We found the main pool to be the best for our family. Service was always good around the pool. We did find it best to get up fairly early to secure good chairs along side the pool by at about 7:30 a.m.. While this might seem a little strange, it was the thing to do Easter weekend because the hotel was busy. In any event, my wife and I really enjoy the mornings in Arizona (so peaceful) so my wife and I had no problem going to the pool early, letting the kids sleep in a little, and securing chairs for the rest of the family. Because it was Easter weekend, chairs were difficult to find by around 10:30 a.m. Only complaint is that we wish the volume for the music at the pool would have been turned up a little more as it was fairly quiet.

Spa. The fitness room at the spa has been improved over the past year and the equipment is excellent and they offer a variety of fitness classes. The spa is incredible. Customer service was excellent! The resort also has a fitness area that does not have a day charge. The fitness area is definitely adequate (treadmills, elipticals, weights) but not nearly as nice as the spa fitness area. If you are going to the spa anyway, use the spa fitness room (all included in the charge of $45).

Fire pits. The main bar has a very nice fire pit/lounge area. Fun place to relax in the evening. Also, there are numerous firepits scattered throughout the resort. We would recommend purchasing the smores kits and roasting marshmallows. We had a great time with this. One evening one of the main fire pits was not lit. We made a call to the front desk and within minutes there was someone there to take care of it, which was really appreciated. On that note, we found the service to be top notch. If we needed anything, they were available - and friendly. Nice work Fairmont!

Cost - like any resort of this caliber, the rooms were pricey, especially over Easter weekend. The drink/food was typical of a higher end resort and a little on the pricey side. However, in fairness, we knew in advance what to expect and just wanted to focus on having great family time.

We would return to the Fairmont!

Room Tip: Whether you are staying in a room or casita, check out the location before you book. There is a dif...
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed April 2, 2013

My husband, kids (6 & 10) and I stayed at this hotel over spring break. It's a lovely property that feels secluded, yet, close to everything we wanted to do. I had requested a room away from the main pool (the one without the water slide) and away from the bar area because of reviews I'd read about it being loud. They put us in the "B" wing, and it was perfect. If you don't like noise, and having your door open to the outside, definitely request one of these rooms! Our room was B2094, and it was perfect. The rooms are very nice, the bathroom is spacious, our balcony overlooked a fountain and it was great for us. One complaint - "oversized" full size beds. Not really. Definitely a full, no oversized here. My husband and son slept in one bed, and my daughter and I took the other. Tight fit, even with the separation of the adults! Like another reviewer said, this is a little ridiculous. Queen size would be a million times more comfortable and better - especially for the $387 price tag a night. Having read the reviews, I knew that the Starbucks coffee cost extra, so I just used the "house" coffee. And, I agree, $6 for water is ridiculous, so we didn't buy it. Like everywhere in America, if you have a car, you can drive in any direction and find a Target, so that's what we did for snacks, etc.
The pools and pool areas are very nice. Plenty of lounge chairs to go around. The water slide is fun for the kids, but it's pretty tame. Fine by me, but, my 10 year old got a little bored. Those two pools are crowded with families, but, obviously, that's why we chose this resort! The other pool (I think it's the south pool) is larger and we never felt crowded there. Now on to my only other complaint. NO KIDS under 12 in the hot tub. And, there is only one hot tub. This seems ridiculous to me if you're a family friendly resort. And, in my mind, if you have a water slide (and no designated "adults only" pool), you are family friendly. And, guess what? My family loves hanging out in the hot tub. Thankfully, security kicked us out of it (and made us aware of the rule) on our last day, so we enjoyed it our whole trip. This might seem like a stupid point to make, but, it just struck me as ridiculous. I mentioned it to the front desk (because I can think of many families I know who would not pick this resort because of that), the lady, who was very nice, said, "I've heard of kids dying the the hot tub from the heat". Well, it sounds to me like there are some very stupid parents out there, then. Either have two hot tubs - one for adults only, and one not, or have it so that kids have to be with an adult. Just my two cents.
The food on the property is very good. We ate at La Hacienda the first night and it was fine. Oh, only other minor complaint, they served up the weakest margarita I have ever had! I don't drink all that much, so I have never felt this way about a drink - ever. It tasted like lime juice and that was it. And it was $13. The staff was great there, though, and the bill was big. Every employee we encountered was fantastic. They do a great job in this regard. The grounds are lovely, and the fishing is just okay. $5 to rent a pole for 2 hours, and everyone catches the same poor catfish. Fun for the kids, but it's not as exciting as it sounds. Would I recommend this resort? Yes. Are there a couple of things I wish were different here? Absolutely. But, it was nice to not be in Phoenix (we've stayed at resorts in Phoenix, and you really feel like you're just off the freeway) and we had a great trip. With the minor changes of the hot tub rule, the bed size and that margarita, this place would be perfect!

Room Tip: B wing, with an interior hallway.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this property for 5 days in June 2012. It is far and away the best resort we have stayed in.

We won our hotel via Priceline and because it was low season and because we were President's Club members received an upgrade.

Our suite was breathtaking, absolutely spotless and was fronted by the East (?) pool. Customer service was exceptional, from the fantastic front desk reception staff who checked us in at 11pm to the valet guys who were quick to the draw in offering complementary ice cold water or carrying your golf clubs.

The property itself is quite impeccably maintained with ample (and well disciplined!) wildlife abound. For the off-season, the tennis courts were also very well maintained. The Willow Springs Spa is also unbelievable. Anyone who reads this review MUST visit the spa. Even if you don't book any of spa service and just buy the daypass, it is well worth it to just visit the waterfalls and enjoy the robe and the snacks :) !!!

One very very minor complaint is the quality of the toiletries. I guess given how hard Arizona's water is, Fairmont offers the finest and sumptuous milled soaps and toiletries, but I found the scent of Le Labo Rose 31 toiletries a bit overwhelming. I should've probably said something after the first night...my loss, but still a very positive experience overall.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Arpee P
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Dated room decor with a musty smell. Wish we had not accepted the "upgrade" to a casita part of the resort. It is a poorly marked maze of buildings. Anything on the first floor is a privacy challenge, as people are walking by constantly trying to find their room! Windowsills are dirty. Western theme here appeals to children, but seems hokey. Mexican restaurant, La Hacienda, is very good, authentic, upscale casual. Guest services has been unable to deliver me a newspaper in 2 days despite my call. Grounds are quite nice, but it's all about the room for me. This one stinks, literally.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SR22
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsdale
The Phoenician, Scottsdale
#18 of 75 in Scottsdale
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,140 reviews
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Paradise Valley
The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa

Been to Fairmont Scottsdale Princess? Share your experiences!