“Mostly excellent!”

Fairmont Scottsdale Princess
Ranked #17 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed April 2, 2013

My husband, kids (6 & 10) and I stayed at this hotel over spring break. It's a lovely property that feels secluded, yet, close to everything we wanted to do. I had requested a room away from the main pool (the one without the water slide) and away from the bar area because of reviews I'd read about it being loud. They put us in the "B" wing, and it was perfect. If you don't like noise, and having your door open to the outside, definitely request one of these rooms! Our room was B2094, and it was perfect. The rooms are very nice, the bathroom is spacious, our balcony overlooked a fountain and it was great for us. One complaint - "oversized" full size beds. Not really. Definitely a full, no oversized here. My husband and son slept in one bed, and my daughter and I took the other. Tight fit, even with the separation of the adults! Like another reviewer said, this is a little ridiculous. Queen size would be a million times more comfortable and better - especially for the $387 price tag a night. Having read the reviews, I knew that the Starbucks coffee cost extra, so I just used the "house" coffee. And, I agree, $6 for water is ridiculous, so we didn't buy it. Like everywhere in America, if you have a car, you can drive in any direction and find a Target, so that's what we did for snacks, etc.
The pools and pool areas are very nice. Plenty of lounge chairs to go around. The water slide is fun for the kids, but it's pretty tame. Fine by me, but, my 10 year old got a little bored. Those two pools are crowded with families, but, obviously, that's why we chose this resort! The other pool (I think it's the south pool) is larger and we never felt crowded there. Now on to my only other complaint. NO KIDS under 12 in the hot tub. And, there is only one hot tub. This seems ridiculous to me if you're a family friendly resort. And, in my mind, if you have a water slide (and no designated "adults only" pool), you are family friendly. And, guess what? My family loves hanging out in the hot tub. Thankfully, security kicked us out of it (and made us aware of the rule) on our last day, so we enjoyed it our whole trip. This might seem like a stupid point to make, but, it just struck me as ridiculous. I mentioned it to the front desk (because I can think of many families I know who would not pick this resort because of that), the lady, who was very nice, said, "I've heard of kids dying the the hot tub from the heat". Well, it sounds to me like there are some very stupid parents out there, then. Either have two hot tubs - one for adults only, and one not, or have it so that kids have to be with an adult. Just my two cents.
The food on the property is very good. We ate at La Hacienda the first night and it was fine. Oh, only other minor complaint, they served up the weakest margarita I have ever had! I don't drink all that much, so I have never felt this way about a drink - ever. It tasted like lime juice and that was it. And it was $13. The staff was great there, though, and the bill was big. Every employee we encountered was fantastic. They do a great job in this regard. The grounds are lovely, and the fishing is just okay. $5 to rent a pole for 2 hours, and everyone catches the same poor catfish. Fun for the kids, but it's not as exciting as it sounds. Would I recommend this resort? Yes. Are there a couple of things I wish were different here? Absolutely. But, it was nice to not be in Phoenix (we've stayed at resorts in Phoenix, and you really feel like you're just off the freeway) and we had a great trip. With the minor changes of the hot tub rule, the bed size and that margarita, this place would be perfect!

Room Tip: B wing, with an interior hallway.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Fairmont Scottsdale Princess

Reviewed April 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this property for 5 days in June 2012. It is far and away the best resort we have stayed in.

We won our hotel via Priceline and because it was low season and because we were President's Club members received an upgrade.

Our suite was breathtaking, absolutely spotless and was fronted by the East (?) pool. Customer service was exceptional, from the fantastic front desk reception staff who checked us in at 11pm to the valet guys who were quick to the draw in offering complementary ice cold water or carrying your golf clubs.

The property itself is quite impeccably maintained with ample (and well disciplined!) wildlife abound. For the off-season, the tennis courts were also very well maintained. The Willow Springs Spa is also unbelievable. Anyone who reads this review MUST visit the spa. Even if you don't book any of spa service and just buy the daypass, it is well worth it to just visit the waterfalls and enjoy the robe and the snacks :) !!!

One very very minor complaint is the quality of the toiletries. I guess given how hard Arizona's water is, Fairmont offers the finest and sumptuous milled soaps and toiletries, but I found the scent of Le Labo Rose 31 toiletries a bit overwhelming. I should've probably said something after the first night...my loss, but still a very positive experience overall.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Arpee P
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Dated room decor with a musty smell. Wish we had not accepted the "upgrade" to a casita part of the resort. It is a poorly marked maze of buildings. Anything on the first floor is a privacy challenge, as people are walking by constantly trying to find their room! Windowsills are dirty. Western theme here appeals to children, but seems hokey. Mexican restaurant, La Hacienda, is very good, authentic, upscale casual. Guest services has been unable to deliver me a newspaper in 2 days despite my call. Grounds are quite nice, but it's all about the room for me. This one stinks, literally.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SR22
Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in a casita with 3 others. Space was ample. Rollaway worked well for a teen. Grounds are absolutely beautiful. Pools offered something for all ages. Weather was perfect. If you are willing to splurge, this is the place.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Attended a 2 day conference in March. The weather was great and my room was lovely. The food provided for the conference for breakfast and lunch was outstanding--lots of fresh fruit and healthly options. Dinner was OK, nothing special. The property would be great for a vacation, except that the large groups of guests attending business conferences detract from the resort type atmosphere.

1  Thank frugalshopper_9
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I attended a conference here recently and was very impressed. On the downside, it feels like a huge sprawling hotel and given the large number of conference guests, I think it would be a tough leisure location except at the weekend. It is also quite a long way from downtown Scottsdale. As a conference venue though it worked very well with plenty of comfortable areas to have quiet conversations and a buzzy bar area. The shops and restaurants are good and the spa and tennis facilities excellent.

I wouldn't go there with my family during the week but at the weekend it would be a blast.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

This resort is truly stunning. My husband was there for a conference and I was there to relax and enjoy the Scottsdale weather. The 3 pools were spectacular and staff was more than attentive. We did stay 3 nights, however, after the first night requested a room move due loud noise and music from the outdoor bar/lounge area just off the lobby. Staff was more than happy to provide a quieter alternative.

Unless you choose to valet park your vehicle, customer parking was a short 5 minute walk.

The room was large and roomy, with the bathroom and its many amenities around the corner and private from the sitting/sleeping area. Walk-in closed...now that's a treat!

Room Tip: Request a room away from the outdoor lounge/bar situated just off the lobby.