“Overall, quite nice”

Ranked #12 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
New York City, New York
“Overall, quite nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Was recently at the Fairmont Scottsdale for a conference. My room was spacious and clean and the spa was amazing with absolutely fantastic customer service. All the meals I had at the hotel were tasty as well and the salesladies at the Prickly Pear shop were very helpful when I needed to purchase some additional clothing items when the weather turned out to be colder than I'd expected. The only negatives I have to report are: 1) the gym equipment is pretty old and, given the size of the property and number of guests they are able to host, they could stand to add more because everything was taken when I arrived at 5:30 am one morning; 2) I was shocked to find that the steakhouse was closed on Sunday nights, so that my only option was the Mexican place; 3) the floors are tile, so I was routinely awakened (usually around 4:00 am) by other guests dragging their suitcases to the lobby to check out; 4) the cleaning staff is very slow -- twice I left my room before 7:30 am and returned around 3:45 pm to find the maid in there. The weirdest part was that both times she had deadbolted the door so that I couldn't get in. I saw no evidence that she had taken anything but remain quite curious what she was doing in there that she didn't want anyone walking in on..... In any event, by and large my stay was very enjoyable.

Room Tip: Because I was running back and forth to the conference center, I was happy to have a room that wasn...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (650)
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

We recently spent two nights at the Fairmont Princess in Scottsdale while participating in the Barrett Jackson auction. They were fairly sold out so we were upgraded to a Casita. That made it a "suite" deal for us.
Though quite a distance from the main hotel, we appreciated that each unit felt like your own small condo without a kitchen. The units were very clean, spacious and comfortable.
I might recommend that you request a 2nd floor unit because we were surprised by a young, feisty scorpion in our shower the first morning. Frightening! Perhaps a higher unit might not be as susceptible to those critters crawling in. I did call the front desk and ask that they thoroughly check our room while we were gone that day-just to be sure more were not lurking in a corner or under a bed. They did follow through with their apologies and left a message that it had been accomplished while we were away. I guess that just comes with the territory in Arizona! i must admit, it put a slight damper on the stay. I made sure all my belongings were up off the floor and never walked bare-footed.

Walking the grounds along the waterway was very nice. We saw bunnies, too, as another reviewer mentioned. Cute.
We had breakfast included and opted for the Country Club dining room a short drive away. It was good food and a nice view overlooking the golf course. The onsite, casual dinner area near the pool was just okay. I would rate this facility "Good"...if it were available.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view of the golf course are nice. The Casitas are very comfortable and spacious. Quiet...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Leawood, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

I am not sure why there are any negative reviews of the princess. My husband and I bought a 2nit getaway at an auction and added a third. We would have stayed longer if we could have. The staff was warm and helpful, the room very large, nice, and had and a beautiful view, and the food excellent. We also played golf every day at the three nearby courses--topic champions, topic stadium, and gray hawk. The concierge setup all of our tee times, and the hotel shuttle took us to each course. The pool was lovely as well. I would definitely go back again--today if I could!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

This is a lovely resort, very large and spacious. The gardens are beautiful and it's lovely to walk around the duck pond and the cactus garden. You even see bunny rabbits on the lawn eating. The bar area is spectacular and wonderful to have a drink in the outdoors while next to a little fire to take the chill off. The rooms are of good size (standard room), with a large bathroom and balcony - so very comfortable. The one gripe I have is that we went down to the main pool (the only one heated in Feb) and there were no spare sun lounges (all gone). There were some spare in the tented area, but of course you have to pay for that privelege. So we went without a swim. Then we wanted to eat at Bourbon Steak (on site restaurant) and was fully booked till 9.30pm, so we didn't get to eat there that night. A good alternative was the bar area and the food was very good. I did enjoy staying here, but it seems you have to get up early for you sun lounge and you have to book in advance for your dinner - sometimes you just want to 'go with the flow' and not plan everything...guess you have to here. I always find it amazing that a hotel/resort cannot cater for all of its guests at the same time....

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Peteshell12
Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

My husband and I recently returned from a stay in a Fairmont Gold room at the Scottsdale Princess. We chose to stay at this section of the hotel because of the 'conference nature' we had found on past visits in other sections of this hotel. Although a beautiful location with lovely desert landscaping, the Princess is clearly focused on supporting convention guests and we thought the Fairmont Gold might cater more towards the vacation traveler such as ourselves so we chose to give it a try.
Alas, this was not the case. Unlike our many experiences on Gold floors at other Fairmont hotels in the US and Canada, this one does not hold up to room quality or service we have come to expect and enjoy at Fairmont. The rooms, although in a nice location on the property, are in great need of renovation and were quite dusty and dirty. The towels and sheets were old and rough on the bare skin and we had to call housekeeping several times for items that were missing in the rooms. The service of the Gold staff was spotty - some personnel were friendly and helpful (thank you!) while others were simply rude. The food for breakfast and early evening appetizers was surprisingly poor and not fresh or interesting which was very disappointing. This unfortunately fits with the food in general on the property as we found our dinner (and service) at the Hacienda restaurant quite dismal as well although our lunch (hamburger) at the property's main restaurant was satisfactory.
Our one positive experience at the Fairmont Princess was the Spa. It continues to be an innovative, relaxing, and lovely way to spend an afternoon in the Arizona sunshine (by the pool) or receiving a treatment. The personel working there were professional and helpful and clearly enjoyed their work. We highly recommend a visit to the spa as it is a special place.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Happy_Vacationers2
FairmontScottsdale, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Scottsdale Princess, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Happy Vacationers,

We thank you for staying with us and we appreciate you sharing your candid feedback. We are certainly disappointed to hear about your experience, as that is not the level of service we pride ourselves upon. I will be sure to forward your comments to the departments mentioned. We are delighted you enjoyed our spa. Well & Being at Willow Stream is a very special place. I hope you got to try one of our new classes or treatments!

The next time your travels bring you to Scottsdale, we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back and make your stay absolutely perfect!

Kindest regards,

Valerie Lee
Director of Public Relations
Fairmont Scottsdale Princess
Omaha, NE
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Spent a few days here with my spouse in Feb. From the instant we pulled into the hotel the service was impeccable. From the valet to the bellman to the front desk everyone was great. The grounds are beautiful including the restaurants, bars, pools, etc. the food was as good or better than most restaurants in Scottsdale. The fitness area was good also. The rooms were nice but are in need of an update. They aren't terrible but they look tired. The hotel is about 25 years old and although they've done some updating the rooms need it again. Would definitely stay again.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank thoff
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

This resort was out standing. We were there in December and everyone was wonderful. Our room was perfect, the grounds were beautifully decorated for the holidays. We played the golf courses the Stadium course was outstanding but the Champions course was in bad condition. But we still enjoyed our stay. We will be going back.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsdale
The Phoenician, Scottsdale
#16 of 75 in Scottsdale
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,128 reviews
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Paradise Valley
The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa

Been to Fairmont Scottsdale Princess? Share your experiences!