WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Fairmont Scottsdale Princess

Fairmont Scottsdale Princess
Ranked #11 of 76 Hotels in Scottsdale
Eugene, Oregon
“Nice resort, but room was loud and desk inefficient”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

The Fairmont Princess is a very nice property with beautiful lobby area, great pools, a handsome outdoor bar and a large, well appointed room. The staff was wonderfully helpful and friendly. But the room we had was overlooking the outdoor bar and music was playing loudly there until early morning - so avoid the bar side of the main building if you want a quiet night. Also, we personally asked the front desk for a rollaway and still had to call for it to be delivered. The same thing when we requested a second rollaway. Worst: we asked the desk in person for a wake-up call the night before our departure: it didn't come and we had to rush like mad to make it to the airport. Also, it appears they charged us minibar fees for using coffee pods in the Keurig - ? We didn't have time to haggle over the bill before we left!

Room Tip: Stay as far away as you can from the outdoor bar unless you are a night owl.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
FairmontScottsdale, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Scottsdale Princess, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear Hvos,

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are glad you found our property beautiful and our staff friendly. Our sincere apologies for the mishaps in your requests for a rollaway and a wake-up call. This is not the typical level of service we pride ourselves upon. In regards to the coffee, we do offer complimentary coffee in the rooms, although there is charge for the Starbucks brand. Please contact me or the resort directly at 480-585-4848 and we would be happy to resolve this for you. Again, our sincere thanks for visiting the Fairmont Scottsdale Princess.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (618)
Midway, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

I wish we could have doubled our time there! We were there Dec 21st to Dec 26th. We decided to do something new this year. Our kids are grown and childless so we decided to relax this Christmas---no shopping, no wrapping presents, no decorating, no cooking--well you get the picture.This resort made us forget our usual Christmas. We felt like we were treated royally. First of all the resort outdoes itself with the Christmas display in and around the lagoon. Tons of light displays, and a large 30 ft "dancing light and sound" Christmas tree. Fabulous. We had the Fairmont Gold experience which gave us a Junior Suite in the Gold villas with a dedicated concierge service, a wonderful breakfast each morning and hors d'oeuvres in the evening and an honor bar in the Gold Lounge. The food in the Lounge was different every day, beautifully presented and delicious. I could not wait to see what they were going to offer next. Our room was spacious and well decorated with 2 flatscreens, a very large bath area with a large walk in shower and jacuzzi tub.Everything was sparkling clean. Turn down service in the evening gave us fresh towels. The bathrobes were among the nicest we have had anywhere---very cozy. The room heat and air conditioning was very accurate and quiet. My only minor complaint was that I found the bed to be too soft but that is a personal preference and you can't please everyone.The rooms were quiet but after the first night we noticed that there was smoke coming into the bath area although it was supposed to be non smoking throughout. They immediately helped us move to another room and gave us some wine. The concierge was extremely helpful in planning a trip on Christmas Day to Sedona and even organized a box lunch for us to take with us because as expected there were not many places to eat that day. Although the grounds are fairly large, getting around was not much of a problem for me even with a cane. I was able to walk to most places but ordered complimentary golf cart transportation from our room to the spa. The spa facilities are to die for including a heated roof top pool, sauna, steam room and hot tub. Admission to the spa was complimentary with the Gold Experience and you could book any number of treatments at an additional cost. We ordered room service on Christmas Day for breakfast. It arrived on time, warm and had everything we could want and they did not skimp on condiments. We had Christmas dinner at the Bourbon Steak restaurant. We ended up not choosing the Christmas menu as it was a little too gourmet for our tastes but opted to order from their regular menu. The food was very good but a little pricey. But it did not really matter as we were there on a special promotion that gave us $100 a day, food, beverage and spa credit. They were very cordial applying this credit---not like the promos in Vegas where you have to use up a credit on each day or loose it and limiting the credit to $100 a day even if you used nothing the previous day. The Fairmont just took $500 off our bill at the end of our 5 day stay---no ands, ifs or buts. Very very gracious and first class!! Our visit was pure pleasure and I can't wait to go again.

Room Tip: Go for the Gold!!(Experience--that is). You will not regret it.
1 Thank pammcgarry
FairmontScottsdale, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Scottsdale Princess, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience during "Christmas at the Princess." We are honored to have you spend the holidays with us and value your thorough feedback. We hope to see you again this year at Christmastime or for any of our "Legacy" holiday events throughout the year. Sincerely, Valerie Lee
nyc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

I do extensive research before I book any hotel and this trip came down to the Fairmont over the Phoenician. Although I did not visit the Phoenician, I was completely satisfied with my decision to spend 2 nights at the Fairmont Princess and here's why:

Being that I was only there for 2 nights, it offered enough that I didn't have to leave once. If I was there say 4 or 5 nights...I may have gone with a larger resort or made some trips into downtown Scottsdale. You have 4-5 options for dinner and we ate at Bourban Steak one night and Hacienda (Mexican) the other evening. Bourban steak, although an amazing meal, was a little overpriced. Two apps, Two small filets, a good bottle of wine, and one dessert set us back about $300.00. The food was really, really good though and the server and sommelier very both friendly, and quite knowledgeable.

Hacienda was great in every aspect if you like Mexican food. It was about half the price of the steakhouse but still had a really nice vibe inside and terrific drinks and eats. We also had lunch at the "Grill" overlooking the TPC championship golf course. It's high end pub food with an amazing selection of craft brews and killer views of the links. The golf course looked like one of the best course I have ever set my eyes on. The Phoenix Open is actually being held there at the end of the month. I didn't get to play, not enough time, nor do I deserve to play a course of that caliber! Apparently Tiger Woods has vowed never to golf there again because woman threw shoes at him last time he was in a tournament there. True story, the waiter told us.

We were upgraded at check in and I highly recommend you sign up for the Fairmont Presidents club online for free. It'll get you complimentary wifi, free golf club rental, and a better chance of an upgrade where you check in. Our room was in D block # 3179 and was a good size, offered lagoon views, had a good size balcony, and a huge bathroom. Most of all, it was private. I noticed a few rooms that you could basically look into and I would hate to be in those. We were also about a 3 minute walk to the main reception area and main pool. I found promo codes online for many various groups, I choose the "Scottsdale Young and Active" promo code even though I'm from NYC and snagged myself about 25% off for a rate of $216.00 per night. Reserved a standard room but was upgraded one level to a deluxe, I believe. Sweet!

If you forget anything small, there is a little gift shop on site that has toiletries, water, snacks, souvenirs etc, and the prices are actually very fair. A bottle of water might be $2 but that same bottle they leave in your room to consume is $5. It's open until 9pm. We ordered room service breakfast one more and it did the job. Room service will ALWAYS be overpriced, but the quality of the food was great. Things are generally expensive at this resort but come on people... It's a Fairmont. In Scottsdale nonetheless! Go with a Sheraton or a Holiday in if you want to sacrifice on quality but save money on dinner, lunch, or that late night drink from the mini bar.

Word of advice - even if you are not getting a treatment, pay the 35 bucks and use the spa for a few hours or all day.. Eucalyptis Inhalation rooms, ice plunge, hot tub, massage waterfalls, sauna, steam rooms, free snacks / beverages, private roof deck pool with mountain views - well worth it! Any spa treatment will obviously include the free spa entry anyway we got two facials for about 175.00 each. Not cheap by any means but I don't regret the purchase.

It was so relaxing on that spa roof deck pool area I actually dozed off for about 20 minutes which is not like me, especially at 2pm in the afternoon. It was total bliss, no kids running around, quiet, the mountains just a mile or two away, etc. We also hit the regular fitness center one day (the non spa one) and although it was small for a resort of this size, it was clean and had everything you needed.

Speaking of kids, it's a VERY kid friendly resort (kids club, water slides, ice skating rink) but they are not annoying / in your face / crying babies everywhere that ruin your romantic time. I love kids, no beef there, but this trip was supposed to be some time to "recharge the batteries" with my wife and relax and the kid situation was fine.

Stone Rose Lounge - This place is the Bomb and center of nightlife for the resort. Basically closed in the day, it transforms into a outdoor lounge with fire pits, specialty cocktails, and and attractive people (myself excluded, of course) in the evening. There is also a pool table, putting green, and cigar stand. I could honestly hang out there every night after dinner.

It was cold when we where there and dropped down to the 40's but there must be 25 fire pit areas / tables so it was perfect. I had many drinks out there just listening to the music and being warmed by the fire as well as my scotch. The Desert Ice (outdoor skating rink) area has a similar set up with fire pits and seating where little Johnny can grab a hot cocoa and Daddy can grab something stronger.

There are a couple of pools and they are all big, heated, and well maintained. The entire property is decorated really, really beautifully for the holidays and that's something I rarely notice or say. Most of the reviews will say how good the service is and how people bend over backwards at the Fairmont but I must agree... they take service to a whole other level here.

I called around to local car service companies and it is about the same price to use one of the hotel Sedans / SUV's to take you to the airport. No reason to set it up in advance, you simply tell the bellhop and he'll have you wheels in about 2 minutes. I cost $55 and was about a 25 minute ride to Phoenix Sky Harbor International and the fare as well as gratuity can even be put on your room. The resort is about 15 minutes from Old Town Scottsdale if you plan on hanging out, eating out, or shopping in that area. We visited Old Town on the way up to the resort, it's got a really authentic old Western town feel.

Don't worry about it... you'll really like the Fairmont!

Room Tip: Ask for an courtesy upgrade and something close to the main area.
5 Thank Crumz32
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write an in-depth review. We very much appreciate your insights and travel tips and are pleased to hear you enjoyed our various dining outlets and amenities. We wish you happy travels in 2013 and that you will come visit us again soon. Best regards, Valerie Lee
castle rock, colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stayed here for New Year's Eve with family and it could not have been a better stay. We had access to the "Gold Room" and Clara was wonderful taking care of our every need. We were with little ones who enjoyed the ice skating rink. The adults loved the spa and the beautiful Christmas Light displays all over the property. I would highly reccomend this property!

Room Tip: Make sure you get access to the "Gold Room" for snacks.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Madras, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

I stayed here for two nights before the Fiesta Bowl, it was colder out than normal. The property is very nice, well landscaped. Its a large complex with lots of walking to get around. My room was fine, large and worked out fine. Overall my only beef is the place was pretty boring, not much going on. The prices were too high for drinks and the steak house. I found i spent most of my time off property, i would not spend the extra money to stay their. I assume if its warm out and an event is going on, there is some activity to keep things fun.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank JohnDayRafters
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

We booked a Casita Signature King for 5 days up to and including New Years day.

The resort grounds and staff are outstanding. The ice rink and Christmas lights were impressive.

However, booking the Casita room was a BIG mistake. These are 2 story units and if you are on the first floor and have someone above you, be prepared to hear EVERY STEP THEY TAKE.

We were awakened several times every night by what sounded like someone beating on the floor. After a few times it was obvious they were just walking around upstairs.

These units are constructed with no regard for sound or privacy. DO NOT WASTE YOU MONEY.

In addition, in my opinion, the resort caters to those that do not want value but NEED to spend their money. This may sound judgemental, but there were a large number of guests that obviously had a desire to pay more just so they can say they did.

We tried it once but will not return.
There are much better deals and resorts for the money. Do not stop looking here.

Room Tip: Do NOT pay for a Casita Suite unless you want to hear every step taken by the guests above you. The...
1 Thank Aggowl
Fahaheel, Kuwait
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

Large grounds where I felt safe and taken care of well. Beautifully decorated for Christmas with the finest touches. Families will feel welcome here and appreciated. Very efficiently run and executed well by conceirge staff.

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room during Christmas due to ice skating rink and children running from place to pla...