“OUTSTANDING AS ALWAYS!”

Fairmont Scottsdale Princess
Ranked #17 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed May 17, 2012

See my previous review of the Fairmont Scottsdale and you can see I feel this hotel sets the standard. 5 star all the way but doesnt have the stuffy feel. If you can and have the option upgrade to Fairmont Gold. Rooms are larger and breakfast is included, plus the gold lounge is great! Sarah and her staff go out of their way to ensure your stay is very enjoyable. Overall its going to be a good stay while you're in Scottsdale no matter what room you've booked at the Fairmont. Please check out Hacienda for dinner. Best Mexican food you can get.

Room Tip: Ask to upgrade to Gold. :-)
There are newer reviews for Fairmont Scottsdale Princess

Reviewed May 15, 2012

Arrived at this resort after hearing about how nice it was from a friend, was really looking forward to some work and relaxation.
The conference I attended was in a great location to my room. The hall was great, food better than average for conference food.
The many pools were great, was nice to explore all the options avaliable. I wished by daughter was there, she would have loved it.
The valet, bellmen, front desk people were very helpful.
Parking and resort fee's a little heavy, but they do call this out on their website, so you know going in what to expect.
My only issue was where my room was located in building E which overlooks the Stone Rose Lounge.
The room was really nice. Overlloked the waterfall, firepits and Lounge.
Wednesday night was not to bad. A little loud but I thought okay I can deal with this.
Thursday night they had live music. It was loud. Called the front desk twice, they did crank it down finally but was not a peaceful night of sleep.
Friday night was just over the top. They had a wedding that night, I believe most of the noise was from this group. They were hooping and hollering. The music got louder and louder, I guess tring to drown out the hollering. Made several calls, nothing was done. They did offer to change rooms, but this was at 1:45AM.
To their credit a manager on duty did call and email me to see how they could make it up. And they have satisfied this issue with me.
I did suggest they give future guests a heads up about the noise. She said what a great suggestion. Come on, you could not think of that by yourself?

Bottom line I would stay here again, I would just be careful of what room I accept.

Room Tip: if you dont mind the noise room 4056 was great.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank 16weekayeartraveler
Reviewed May 13, 2012

This is a hard review to write as I will , no doubt, run out of superlatives for this resort. It was our first time here and we were are all still left in awe at this beautiful palace. It's a large resort, yes, but every inch of the grounds are manicured and fragrant, and at every turn and in every nook there is something appealing and unique. Although the resort may be nearly full, the impression you get is that there is barely anybody there. The pools are expansive and each has it's own atmosphere, from the child friendly splash and slide pool, to the large and formal Eastern pool, to the South pool and it's bar, food and music and finally to the pool in the Casita area, where peace and quiet seem to be valued above all else. At all locations you can find an area to yourself and often the pool is yours and yours alone for the day. I'm not a golfer (it has all the appeal of rectal surgery )and perhaps most guests go off to the PGA course, or others shop in the high end outlets in Scottsdale, or many probably have to go to meetings ; this is all fine, as it means that families have the run of the place all day long!
The interior of the rooms are tastefully furnished and you aren't left wanting for much. A lot has already been written about the fabulous dining, so I won't add any more other than to say that it's all true and that a visit to the Mexican themed restaurant is a must. I begrudgingly eat fish, but the Salmon dish in there was mouth-watering. Many thanks for the staff for suggesting something that I would normally eat only under major sedation or upon threat of death.
Our kids spent hours and hours just wandering the beautiful gardens. Otherwise the pools and the kids club kept them happy. Initially the 8 and 5 year old were reluctant to go to the club, but after one morning there we had to let them go every day as the consequences and temper tantrums would have been too much to bear. Worse , probably than golf or seafood. Or surgery.
Again, the club was often empty and the kids have the run of the superb facilities. They can pan for gold, catch fish in the beautiful ponds, or just play all day on the waterslides. (42 inch limit, I vaguely remember...although smaller kids seemed to be allowed down if held by an adult). I still hear about the catfish that got away, and how big it was etc.etc....
So...fighting back the tears now that we are home, I will endeavour to say "thank you" to all those whom I remember. Firstly, Amy on the front desk...you welcomed us with such a smile and such a helpful nature that we can never forget you. Erin...your enthusiasm for the area was addictive and you were a wealth of knowledge on all things from Malls, shoes, native history to Frank Lloyd Wright. Rebecca from Derbyshire at the East pool...you are outstanding and I hope you achieve your dream of nursing. Your humour and insights into the area were priceless. Well done, lass! Julio , at the Hacienda restaurant...pure class, and the beautiful waitress who was pregnant and who came to say hello to us on two occasions....thank you! Sorry we never got to know your name, but you made our nights there very memorable. Never again will I run away screaming from fish....maybe. Jessica, down in L.V Restaurant....THANK YOU! The kids loved the club so a big hello and thank you must also go to Ethan and Mike and Diane down there. You put up with my "ankle biters" , so you deserve a medal, boys and girls! Both of my girls adored you all.
What makes this place so extra special is the staff. Not one bad thing to say. They all looked happy and went the extra mile to make sure you,too, were happy. Nothing was too much for them, from the blonde haired chap who first met us, to the pool cleaning dude who was having a Hell of a problem with the filter in the Casita pool. All were magnanimous and gracious. How do Fairmont do it...? They must offer some damned good pay package and pension scheme, or else their staff are the best treated in the area. Maybe they offer free beer to the staff. Whatever it is, please keep doing it as it bloody well works!
We will definitely return. Best holiday thus far. The previous trips have all been "all inclusive" affairs in Mexico and the Caribbean. This appeals to us Canadians as you don't feel guilty about the volume of beer you drink. This is, obviously, NOT all inclusive, hence you get a bill at the end of the stay. This makes to overall costs a little higher than the All Inclusive options. However, the standard of luxury is far higher, the food is better and not just re-heated and mass produced, and you are treated as an honoured guest and not just a paying tenant. I totally understand both options, and for us, at this time, with our family (and...er...cheap flights from Canada), this was the better option.
Confession time: we upgraded to a Casita. It was well worth it and made us feel like we were Lord and Lady Muck. Hence, this review may be a little biased as it is the best area in the best resort. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
PS Thank you to Debbie in the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver as she suggested that we would like this place. Damn it! She was right!

Room Tip: Gather up all the Fairmont upgrade certificates you can get and get a Casita, or ask the staff if t...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Richard T
Reviewed May 13, 2012

Well were do we start with this one! This has to be the most enviromently damaging hotel I have ever stayed in. They have dozens of out door gas fire pits as well as water features that incorporate burning huge amounts of natural gas. Yes its spectacular, I struggled emotionally between being wowed by it and distressed by the waste and damage being caused to the enviroment. Now in the hotels defence it may have some kind of carbon off setting programme, but I saw no evidence of this! It does however offer free parking if you drive a hybrid (LOL) Anyway, the pools are lovely, the spa one of the best I have ever seen. Food in the restaurants we tried was good, service overall was fine. We had a casita suite, freinds had a faimont room. don't waste your money on the casita. Standard room was more modern and may have been made over more recently. Especially the bathroom. Comparing this hotel to the Hyatt Gainey Ranch there is no contest, Hyatt win hands down.

Room Tip: This a very spread out resort, some rooms are quite a hike from reception and restaurants. Ask to b...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank fussyrob
Reviewed May 11, 2012

This was my second stay at this location. The first in 2010 was excellent and the room overlooked the rose garden, a fabulous stay for 4 days. This trip for 3 days was not as ideal. The resort is fast becoming a mega resort with expansion that is ongoing so if you are looking for a smaller more quaint location this may not be good for you, it did not bother us. I was not thrilled to be given a room facing the tennis courts with the bright lights and the constant sound of the players and was told there were no other rooms available. It was worse the following morning when we were wakened by the sound of the construction and beeping of backing trucks at 6:45 a.m. They found a room later that day and we went to the older side but a bed that was not nearly as comfortable as the newer ones. This is a beautiful location with a great pool and friendly staff. The restaurants are very good and there is a nice fire pit area to sit at night if the temperatures are cooler. My rating is based on the more recent stay which was not as good.

3  Thank whataboutthecustomer
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Although I was out in Scottsdale at the Fairmont Princess for a work conference during the month of April, I couldn't help enjoying my experience at this destination. It lived up to my expectations of a first class resort while receiving the highest level of service. The villas were very spacious and nice, the pools were great, and La Hacienda was one of the best Mexican restaurants I have been to in recent memory. Too bad I am not a golfer, but there seems to be a lot of quality options nearby. Perfect warm weather also. Finally, the bar at the center of the resort is a fun place to socialize in the evening. Can't wait to return with my family.

1  Thank BRITOPSPIN
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Recently stayed here for a family event .
The rooms were very nice and because we were members of the Presidents Club I got free wifi.
All of the facilities were first class.
We have traveled all over the world and the staff at this resort were among the friendliest,helpful I have ever encountered.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family