“Way over-rated - dated - loud”

Fairmont Scottsdale Princess
Ranked #13 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Sedona
“Way over-rated - dated - loud”
Reviewed October 14, 2011

It mystifies me that this hotel is a 5-Diamond resort. We have stayed in many hotels and resorts in Arizona and the Fairmont Princess falls short. The good: employees were unfailingly helpful and cheerful and personable.
The rest: The rooms are very dated and worn; our room in particular was configured wierdly. A very long hallway from the entry door down to the bedroom (the bathroom a long walk from the bedroom) - the room was furnished in such a way that the television was to the left of the bed. The only way to watch if we were in bed was to crane our necks or lie on our sides. Ridiculous.
The property is confusing - yes, we had a map, but there are few directional signs pointing guests in the right direction. Wandered around a lot trying to find things.
The NOISE LEVEL throughout the property is almost deafening. Inside and outside alike, there is pounding pulsating high volume music playing. It's like being at a club or at a party but there's no one there. We had a drink in the bar before dinner and couldn't get out of there fast enough - it was dark (couldn't read the menu) and although our bartender was terrifically personable and chatty, we couldn't hear him or speak with him unless we all yelled.
To make matters worse, there is an OUTDOOR LOUNGE situated beneath guest rooms - the noise and music carry up and are amplified by the stucco walls so that when we were in bed, with the door closed, down that long long hallway away from the entry, with the TELEVISION on, we could STILL hear the music and people laughing and screaming.
We wear ear plugs when we sleep - but the noise still penetrated at times.
This is totally unforgivable.
The resort was also very expensive all things considered. We live in Sedona and spend time in Scottsdale/Phoenix frequently. We return to those places we enjoy. We will NOT be returning to the Fairmont Princess.

Room Tip: Request a room FAR FAR away from the outdoor lounge. Don't stay in the E building unless you wan...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank PatsyKB

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (661)
Colorado Springs
Reviewed October 13, 2011

Stayed here during a business conference July. The paint on the walls was peeling, the carpet in my room stained and musty smelling. Grounds are nice, staff helpful, but to expectations, not exceeding them. For the price, I would not recommend. They need to pay attention to details. I'd give them a four star. Next time in the Valley of the Sun its the Phoenian or Squaw Peak Hilton.

Room Tip: Casita's looked nice, but stay in a room near the pool, Casitas are not worth the upgrade price...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank PeakValentine
FairmontScottsdale, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Scottsdale Princess, responded to this review, October 14, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us this summer and posting your review. We are sorry to hear that your recent stay did not meet your expectations. We did want to make you aware that all of our main building accommodations have been renovated, a multi-year project which began in 2009. We just started the final phase of refurbishment for the Casita buildings, updating all soft-goods and carpeting, which will be complete by the end of the year. We do hope you will visit us again. We greatly appreciate your feedback. Sincerely, Valerie Lee - Director of Public Relations
Morgan Hill, CA
Reviewed October 11, 2011

This is exactly what you'd expect from a Fairmont. The grounds are huge and luxurious. The pools are fabulous. If you are a swimmer, there is even a lap pool just for you. There are restaurants, plus the spa.
I have special dietary restrictions, and the staff did not miss a beat. They had exactly what I needed at all meals.
Beautiful surroundings, beautiful service and the rooms are large and wonderful.
No complaints.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank debo-ro
Dear Guest,

Thank you for visiting the Fairmont Scottsdale Princess. We are delighted you had a wonderful stay and thank you for sharing your experience. Since you were last here, we have added a new Lifestyle Cuisine Plus menu in LV Bistro, which offers even more choices for specific dietary needs. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon! Kindest regards, Valerie Lee - Director of Public Relations
Surprise, AZ
Reviewed October 10, 2011

From the valet, to check in, to the beautiful casita overlooking the TPC golf-course every moment at The Princess was perfect. Service always makes the difference at this type of resort and I found the staff to be friendly, helpful, and motivated to ensure every want and need was met, even some needs I had not anticipated.

The Casita is decorated in a mix of Old-Spain/Southwest motif and perfectly captured the casual yet upscale atmosphere of The Princess. Nothing formal or snooty but very nice and relaxed. Several restaurants and bars on property all of which were fabulous. My wife said the spa was one of the best she had visited.

Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Casitas with balcony or patio are delightful.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 8, 2011

I stayed at the Fairmont Scottsdale just two weeks ago and was terribly disappointed with the room I was given in "C" building. Being a business traveler, I will primarily review the room, main grounds, and exercise facility.

When entering my room, I noticed a heavy musty smell coming from the carpet. Since I only was staying for a couple of nights and was also very tired, I did not complain. However, the carpet in this room definitely needs to be changed or heavily cleaned. Also, two of the phones in the room did not work properly (pushing the preset buttons on one did not work; on the other, the handset cord was broken).

Besides these problems in the guest room, my other main complaint was the plumbing. These rooms have the terrible problem of when someone next door flushes the toilet, you need to jump away from the shower water otherwise you will get burnt. Old, terrible plumbing. Also, the bathroom itself is in need of a tile replacement overhaul; these bathrooms have not had a major overhaul in at least 15-20 years.

More complaints:

--Housekeeping tried to enter my room twice with the Do Not Disturb sign on the door. This made me very concerned about security since housekeeping might enter a room with DND on the door thinking the guest is just not there (and therefore try to steal).

--Housekeeping would also leave a menu to a local pizza place in the room. This is terrible for a supposed 5* hotel. Whether it is the maid or someone ordering her to do this, the hotel should have its own eateries patronized.

--You cannot see the TV from the desk area (and part of the couch area).

--The exercise room is poor. There are not many cardio machines, and the cardio machines in the fitness room are at least 10 years old.

Positives:

--There is no resort fee. However, if you want a refrigerator for your personal belongings, the hotel charges $25 per stay for a rental.

--The television has many stations which are true HD quality.

--The WiFi is 802.11n (see note below about obtaining free WiFi).

--The location of the hotel is excellent if you need to be in North Scottsdale. You are close to many shops (see below) and the 101 highway. However, if you want to travel to Old Town Scottsdale, it is at least a 20-25 minute drive.

Overall, I would not stay here again unless I got a very aggressive rate. What bothered me most was the very dated condition of the room, housekeeping trying to enter the guest room twice with the Do Not Disturb sign on the door, and the poor workout room.

I have stayed at the Hyatt Regency Scottsdale (Gainey Ranch) and Four Seasons Scottsdale before and prefer them both to this place.

Tips:
1)Request a room in "C" building if you stay here to be adjacent to the self-parking lot. Please note this hotel charges $10/night for self-parking (yes, this is ridiculous when you are paying these high room rates).

2)In-Room WiFi is FREE if you sign up for a Fairmont President's Club membership (loyalty program) before checking-in (membership to the President's Club is free). Then, you can logon to the WiFi daily using your President's Club membership number and last name.

3)There are plenty of shops (WalMart, Sam's Club, Costco, Whole Foods, Staples, Best Buy, etc.) adjacent to the Scottsdale Airport (5 minute drive from hotel).

Room Tip: Request a room in the "C" building to be adjacent to the self-parking lot.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
6 Thank traveler927534971
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. Your feedback is very important to us. We were disappointed to read your experience did not meet the level of expectations we pride ourselves on. If you would like to discuss this in further detail, please contact us directly at the hotel. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back. Best regards, Valerie Lee, Director of Public Relations
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed September 29, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 5 days, while my husband attended a conference. This place is huge, but still walkable. They do offer cart rides if you require. The grounds are beautiful, with fountains, lagoons, numerous pools and restaurants, and very tranquil areas to relax. The guest rooms are very large. We stayed in a Gold room which is well worth the extra charge. The Gold rooms include a very nice breakfast, evening snacks, and free access to the spa (which I believe costs $35/day without a treatment). I spent 1/2 day at the spa, which has a beautiful roof top pool. We went to 2 restaurants on site which were very good (La Hacienda, and Bourbon Steak). I had the Lobster Pie at the Bourbon Steak which was delicious and unlike anything I have ever experienced.
Both concierge in the Gold Lounge are wonderful people, very helpful and pleasant (I believe Kaycee and Marty?). They were always cheerful and inviting. Kaycee provided very helpful check-out service.
Our Gold room was very large with 2 TV's, and living area with couch, and bar. We were on the second floor, with a lovely patio overlooking the golf course (which my husband golfed, and had an amazing time). The main hotel concierge service is also great and they arranged the golf game, and my day trip to the Grand Canyon. They offered a selection of tour choices when I asked generally about a desert tour, and were very helpful. My tour my perfect.
This hotel is approx 20 minutes outside of Scottsdale. The hotel does offer cab rides into town for $80 round trip. We decided to walk to the end of their lane and hopped on a local city bus which got us into town in approx the same amount of time, for $1.75 each way. The hotel does not share this information, but we think local transportation is a pleasant and usually efficient way to travel.
I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the golf course, away from the center courtyard which is noisy at night (due to th...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank donna036
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed September 29, 2011

Beautiful resort and very friendly staff! Location is great, close to Kierland shopping/dining and Scottsdale Quarter. The rooms/suites are very well appointed and the view from the 4th floor overlooking TPC golfcourse and Camelback mtn. is amazing! Went to the La Hacienda restaurant (@ the Fairmont) twice during my stay and the food/service is wonderful! The Tequilla Goddess is awesome! Hope to go again soon!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsdale
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
The Phoenician, Scottsdale
#18 of 75 in Scottsdale
Paradise Valley
The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa

Been to Fairmont Scottsdale Princess? Share your experiences!