“Advice For Business Traveler”

Hilton Scottsdale Resort & Villas
Ranked #27 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Portland, Oregon
“Advice For Business Traveler”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I don't want to be too hard on the hotel, in the continuim of Hiltons it's "OK" and the staff do their best. It's an older property and despite renovations appears "aged".

However, as a business traveller there are a few significant challenges. The walls are paper thin, and DO NOT get a room with a connecting door. As I sit here I can hear the chap next door on his phone and his kids yelling in the background. Given that you cannot select in your Hitlon profile "no connecting room" you need to either specify this in the comments box when you make the reservation online, or at checkin. I would have expected a little more care in selecting my room when I checked in as the hotel was desolate and so they did not have to put me in a room where there was a chance I would be staying next to "Mr. Loudy & Family".

The internet connection is horrifically slow, it literally took two minutes to download a 1 MB file from our corporate network at 4:00 am in the morning (I'm coming from the east coast). Thankfully, I did not have any online conferences to attend during my stay otherwise it could have been grim.

I'm unsure as to whether I am staying in an updated room (I would expect to be as a top tier traveller with Hilton) but the phone is out of the dark ages / speaker phone does not work and for the life of me I can't get the message light to stop flashing. Also, there's is no way to charge your phone from the bed side table... only the desk which is a little silly. These items may sound small but for someone who travels 100+ nights a year with Hilton, it's these things that matter and expect from this brand of hotel.

Location is good, and the pool area is well kept and not too busy... it is low season though. Breakfast was up to expectations and the staff performed well.

It's rare I check out of a property early due to quality of stay, however on this occasion I will be. The hotel did offer to move me to a villa tonight to ensure I got a good nights sleep, which is admirable, but really did not want to pack up my belongings and move and then pack up again tomorrow. So 10/10 for attempted recovery from the challenge, but its unfortunate that the hotel was not proactive when I checked in. Perhaps this is an opportunity for the management to learn from this experience when checking in top tier business travellers to be a little more careful as to where you put them.

Room Tip: Do not get a connecting room, make sure you request an updated room. Ask for a quiet room.
1 Thank TelfordAbroad
doubletree1, General Manager at Hilton Scottsdale Resort & Villas, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
Thank you for your business and loyalty to our Hilton Brand as a valued Diamond member. Thank you for being with us and for this feedback on your stay. I apologize that your stay was negatively impacted by the guests next to you and by challenges with our high speed internet system. I agree that we need to ensure that someone of your stature in HHonors gets the room and location you desire and I will review this with my Director of Front Office to make sure that all steps are taken to do so. We are also excited about our conversion to the new Hilton "Stay Connected" HSIA wireless solution which also brings with it much greater bandwidth than what we currently have. It will be completed over the next couple of weeks. We do hope that you will give us another opportunity to show you that we value your comments and business and did address the issues you experienced.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Wyndmere, North Dakota
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Nice hotel and great ammenities, good price on Hotwire. The down sides are that they have twins, not queens. Asked for a king but was told twice during my 3 day stay they had none. Room was cean, but would expect more from a 4 star. Would I stay again, maybe, maybe not. Nothing that special. Restaurant was the shinning star. Great burgers and breakfast.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for being with us and for this feedback on your stay. Pleased that you enjoyed the resort, the amenities offered as well as the cleanliness and service provided by our staff. The Chef, kitchen and restaurant staff take great pride in our Hilton Breakfast Buffet and, o' by the way, we make our own hamburger buns in house. I apologize that you were disappointed in the size of your bed and we obviously need to make sure that you get a king bed on your next visit. With that, we do hope that you will return again soon.
Long Beach, CA
Reviewed August 20, 2012

The hotel was a nice place to stay on business trip to Phoenix. Even though it was off season the hotel staff did not slack. The room on the ground floor opened on to the pool deck and had a small area to sit outside. The breakfast buffet was great and the staff very friendly. Attached to the hotel is a Fleming's Steakhouse. Plenty of other fine dining options are around.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for selecting our resort and for this positive review of your stay. We are glad that you enjoyed your room, patio, breakfast buffet and the service provided by our staff. We do hope that you will return again soon for business and to further enjoy all there is to see and do in the sun of Scottsdale.
Coventry, Rhode Island, United States
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We came in for a wedding. All of the guests were staying at the hotel as well. A few of us had young families. The hotel was as pleasant for the families as it was for the single adults. Good food, great staff, beautiful accommodations. The Villas were a pleasure to use. Full kitchen and laundry made staying with small children easy. The separate pool for the villas is wonderful. Close to the zoo, shopping and dining. Fantastic!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Karen L
doubletree1, General Manager at Hilton Scottsdale Resort & Villas, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Thank you for selecting our resort for such an important event and for this very positive review of your stay. We love being part of such happy family memories and will pass your compliments onto the staff involved. We do hope that you and other friends and family who were here will come back again soon, maybe when winter sets in back East and the sun and fun awaits you here in Scottsdale.
Dewey, Arizona
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Staying 6 nights, we were thankful for the special summer rates. While the room was nice and clean, it was not what we expected for an upscale chain in an upscale area, claiming to br a resort. Im sure the higher priced Villas are larger, but the bathrooms in the standard rooms are painfully small. It was 112 degrees while we were there and the AC was barely adequate. We called for maintenance and someone did quickly respond however he stated he felt it was cool enough, saying "Where you from, Alaska?". Our room was prepaid or we probably would have immediately checked out. The grounds are quite nice with a lovely pool. For the rate we paid, the room was acceptable. Had we paid their normal upscale price, we would have been very disappointed.

Room Tip: Walk out rooms or balcony rooms overlooking the pool are best.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Martha B
Thank you for selecting our resort for your stay and for this feedback. We are pleased that you found the room, pool and grounds to your liking and took advantage of our great summer deals. I apologize for the air conditioning issues in your room, an essential necessity especially during the high temperatures and humidity of your time with us. I also apologize for the unacceptable response by our engineer. I have have discussed the matter with my Director of Engineering who will address it with the team member involved. Again, thank you for your business and comments and I do hope that you will give us another opportunity in the future to do better.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed August 9, 2012

The rooms in this Hilton are nice, clean and what you would expect from this hotel chain. One of the best features of this hotel was the pool. Located in the middle of the hotel, all of the rooms surround it. After a long day of working and meetings, it was nice to unwind at the pool and enjoy some cocktails at the bar by the pool.
The breakfast buffet was good and some of the main breakfast items changed daily. There is plenty of parking and the location makes it easy to get into old town Scottsdale and downtown Pheonix.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
doubletree1, General Manager at Hilton Scottsdale Resort & Villas, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you for being with us and for this positive review of our resort and staff. We hope that if and when the rain of Seattle starts in the months ahead you will be able to come back to enjoy the fun and sun of Scottsdale and our resort.
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Very clean resort, very upscale area, great places to eat, walking distance away. Staff was great and professional. The outside pool and pool bar were times to be remembered. The Villas themselves were very homely and comfortable. I was happy to be a guest there.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank CountyFD
Thank you for being with us and for this very positive review and rating. We appreciate the many compliments and your business and do hope that you will return again soon to create more enjoyable experiences and memories here at the Hilton Scottsdale Resort & Villas.