“Great value and location, comfortable spacious rooms”

Howard Johnson Scottsdale Old Town
Ranked #38 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Great value and location, comfortable spacious rooms”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We had to travel to Phoenix in the high heat of August for medical appts. but our stay at this hotel made what could have been a miserable trip very comfortable! Before arriving we had researched a few resorts near Old Town Scottsdale that looked nice and were priced around $65/night for low season. Upon arriving however, we learned that any property with "resort" in the title charges an additional "resort fee" PER DAY which is not advertised online with room rates. The ones at properties we had considered ranged from $16 to $25 additional a day to have a parking space and use the pool, literally. So we went hunting for hotel properties and happened to see this 2 story Howard Johnson's well located near the corner of Indian School Rd and Scottsdale Rd (with a pool), a GREAT area in the heart of Old Town Scottsdale with many restaurants, art galleries, bars, and Fashion Square Mall. There's a Paradise Bakery right across the street. The rate was approx. $40 per night (low season rates) and our room had a king size bed, flat screen TV, fridge, microwave, iron, hairdryer, coffee maker, desk, nightstands and dresser. On top of that, continental breakfast is served in the lobby each morning and coffee is available all day. My husband had no trouble getting up for coffee and muffins every day! The A/C was cold, shower hot, bed very comfortable (and double sheeted with a down comforter and six fluffy pillows) bathroom counter large enough and a very spacious room. The staff has basic toiletries in case you forget anything and loaned us a wine opener when we needed one. It is very quiet and we slept soundly. Our trip became extended for nearly a week (became a two week stay) and we would have felt like we were suffering in the stifling heat if not for knowing we had the comfort of our room to return to each night. There were four grocery stores (Trader Joe's, Sprouts, AJ's & Fry's) close by and we used a toaster oven to make some healthy meals interspersed with eating at a variety of restaurants. We walked every day in the Fashion Square mall since it was too hot to exercise outside and took advantage of Labor Day sales and going to a few movies. A 24 hour Walgreens pharmacy is just blocks away. The staff (especially Karen who we saw a lot) were very pleasant and helpful. Housekeeping responded quickly to every request we had for more towels, etc. This property has only recently become a Howard Johnson's and the rooms were completely remodeled. For two days, we had initially stayed at a Motel 6 a few blocks away on Camelback near Scottsdale Rd. Great location also but VERY basic - NONE of the amenities of this Howard Johnson's FOR THE SAME PRICE! We'll definitely come again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
KristyL710, General Manager at Howard Johnson Scottsdale Old Town, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of the Howard Johnson's Old Town Scottsdale. It has been a true pleasure having you with us for the last two weeks. I hope that when your travels bring you back to Scottsdale you will stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Sioux City, Iowa
Reviewed August 4, 2012

We were very happy with our stay at this Howard Johnson, Our room was NEW, clean and very comfortable. The Staff there and their hospitality was worth more than the room rate itself. They helped with directions and made us feel very welcome. I would highly recomend this hotel to anyone traveling in this area, Incredible rates too. We used the swimming pool outside a few nights and it was peaceful , private and relaxing. Cool pool lights too! We walked alot of places because the malls and old Scottsdale was so close. We also went to some great eating establishments within walking distance, they also have golf carts that take you where ever you want to go if you dont want to drive or walk. I will most definately be back.

Room Tip: I liked the lower floor the best, was closer to the car.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Tootsie238400
KristyL710, General Manager at Howard Johnson Scottsdale Old Town, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Howard Johnson's Scottsdale. It pleases me even more to know that my staff went above and beyond to exceed your expectations with their hospitality. I hope that you will join us again soon.
Nevada
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Ok, it is in great location and yes it has been recently renovated, has new flooring, beds etc & opened as a new howard Johnson, but that's it. Remember this is AZ, most of the rooms face east- hot from 7 a.m., the towels are thin, few power cords , no vent in bathroom, pillows are hard. There was no working security latch on the front door.
We tried to call the front desk that had been staffed by a very nice guy but for 15 -20 minutes there was no answer on their phones .
The breakfast area was the size of half a room with very limited options. My wife was traveling with me and I was frankly scared to leave her alone with the other characters that were most single guys with tattoos and questionable looks. Sorry but this is one place I would skip.

Room Tip: Select a room facing south.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Ralph R
Thank you for taking the time to review the Howard Johnson Scottsdale. I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible.

Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. We are very proud of our hotel and the total rennovation that was completed last winter.

Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I planned a trip to play in a tournament in Scottsdale. I had friends who lived in Glendale, South Phoenix and Mesa. I didn't want most of my traveling to be in a car to/from my games. I opted for Howard Johnson on Indian School.

I normally stay with Hilton hotels, but this time around I was on a budget. When I came across Howard Johnson, I was a little skeptical of their $34.00/night room price. I read the recent reviews and felt I should take a chance. I am glad I did.

The location is right in the heart of Scottsdale. You are within walking distance to great shopping and restaurants. The staff here are friendly. The room was very nice. The bathroom was clean, there were complimentary toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, lotion), a mini-fridge and microwave in the room. I did not have any noise issues here. The pool was okay. My daughter loved it at night since the lights change colors.

Since you're not spending very much for the rooms here, use your extra cash to get breakfast elsewhere. The complimentary breakfast entails oatmeal, toast, bagels, yogurt, muffins and cold cereal. No meats, no eggs here. Again, you're minutes away from excellent dining options.

I enjoyed my stay and would gladly return to this same HoJo for future stays in the Scottsdale area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
KristyL710, General Manager at Howard Johnson Scottsdale Old Town, responded to this review, July 28, 2012
Thank you so much for your great review of the Howard Johnson's Old Town Scottsdale. I am so pleased that we were able to exceed your expectations. We look forward to serving you again in the future.
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Nothing to write home about...but if you are looking for a convenient and clean motel for not a lot of money (hard to find in Scottsdale) this is a good place. It was apparently just renovated, and it was nicely done. The front desk clerk was very nice and friendly. He told me there was a free breakfast included, but I did not try it so I am unable to comment on that. The pool area is marginal at best, but I am sure the water would feel good enough in the summer.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank jimmaty
KristyL710, General Manager at Howard Johnson Scottsdale Old Town, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Howard Johnson Old Town. I am glad your stay was a pleasant one. Our goal is to provide our guests with a great room at a great price. Please come back and see us again.
Temecula, California
Reviewed July 3, 2012

WOW......okay this might be a little winded but follow along. My wife and I travel quite a bit and its normal for us to do the red roof inn, best western and sometimes motel 6. we bypass the ultra fancy places preferring to spend our budget on resturants. Okay so we were making plans to travel to Scottsdale and decided to check out prices on Priceline. We were looking in the 60-80 price range which in the hot summer gets you a little better than Red Roof. But oh the horrible reviews everywhere. so then we run across this jem listed @ 34.00 bucks a night. normally even on a budget this price screams "run down-run away" But the reviews told a different story. So believing the reviews we took a chance and booked the room. First impression was our call to the front desk to reserve the room. Donna took our reservation and was so friendly and nice it almost seemed wrong. the kinda of friendliness that says "hey I am buying a ferrari for cash.These guys love me. Yeah serious that kinda of friendly. And it was the same on check in. Never.......... and in almost any interaction with people who work with the public have we been treated so well. Andrew also at the front desk actually brought menus to our room after we called to see who delivers in this area. ... The Manager Krystie truly cares about the travelers who stay here and has made sure her empolyees are the very best in customer service and its a total pleasure. The service is so good the place could have been a s**t hole and we would have been happy. Yeah its that good. But rest assured the place is exceptionally nice. Most places that we stay if you get a No Smoking Room" all thats seems to mean is recently No smoking" The smell of old smoke in the carpets and walls. Well not here. its all new. Carpet, paint. Beds everything. Super clean and smells awesome. And OH the beds......I can not even explain how soft and comfy these bed are.....No crappy thin pillows either....fat and fluffy........Was a total pleasure how quiet and laid back this place is......and I never call anyting perfect....but if the shoe fits.....super close to old town, good eats and bars everywhere...perfect.........So HONESTLY due yourself a favor dont be scared by the $34.00 price tag......just pretend its $60.00-$70.00 a night and you will be impressed. and best of all its really not.....

Room Tip: *also includes a free continental breakfast
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Howard Johnson Scottsdale Old Town, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Thank you so much for posting this wonderful review about the Howard Johnson's Old Town Scottsdale. I am so pleased that you and your wife enjoyed your stay. I hope this will be the first of many visits to our hotel!
Burnley, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2012

We stayed here for two nights, while touring Arizona, it has been newly updated it is clean and modern, with a fridge and microwave. The pool area is very nice with plenty of sunbeds we stayed there in June so the pool was really appreciated. Breakfast was continental style with plenty of choice, cereals bagels fruit yogurt coffee. The staff were polite and helpful, and I would stay there again

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Howard Johnson Scottsdale Old Town, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Howard Johnson's Scottsdale. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.