“Nice hotel, excellent service”

Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch
Ranked #9 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed December 31, 2010

Traveled for a few days over Christmas. Nice hotel but service is especially friendly. Extended a day due to storm with no problem. Not luxury but nice, beds a bit soft for my back.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,967)

Reviewed December 23, 2010

I booked this hotel for a December 2010 stay through Hotwire.com (it was the 4.5 star property in North Scottsdale) for $83/night, a healthy discount off the $229/night lowest published rate at the time (on Hyatt.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, and Expedia). For the price, I would definitely stay here again but if I had to pay the $229/night, I would be less inclined to pull the trigger on this booking.

First, you should know this hotel charges a $20/night mandatory resort fee for Internet, phone, bicycle rental, fitness center access, and a few other minor things. With the Internet charge, this Hyatt property has two tiers of Internet speed you can choose (the slowest one has a data cap); the resort fee only covers the slow, data-capped Internet. The fitness center is very nice with state-of-the-art LifeFitness equipment which is accessible 24-hours a day (yea!). I do think there is a charge to use the other spa facilities like steam room, sauna, etc. since the doors to the men's and women's areas are locked and my hotel keycard did not work.

Also, the hotel was undergoing some construction during the middle of December 2010; part of the front entrance is being renovated, and the adult pool area is also closed for renovation. This did not affect me one bit, but I thought I would mention it if it matters to anyone.

As far as the rooms, I was very pleased with the size of the room, quality of the bed and bedding, and Portico toiletries. The room was about 400 square feet with a balcony, the bed was Hyatt's upgraded bed, and Portico eucalyptus toiletries were amazing. However, the housekeeping was hit or miss. I tipped the chambermaid $5/day, and I had excellent service some days, good service others, and poor service one day. Also, there were some very noticeable (and one disgusting) stains around the floor and sitting couch. I did not mind since the excellent and clean bed made up for the stain problem. Kudos to Hyatt for installing a non-mini bar refrigerator in the room for your personal stuff.

The staff at the hotel was just ok. Some of the staff were very friendly and accommodating, while others were just clearly going through the motions. I did not eat at the hotel since I was a solo business traveler and ate less expensive with the other many choices around.

Location: Excellent. The hotel is 1/2 mile from Scottsdale Road which takes you direct to Old Town Scottsdale, Fashion Square Mall, and downtown Scottsdale. Travel north on Scottsdale Road and you will hit Scottsdale Quarter (shopping and dining with Apple Store, West Elm, etc.), Kierland Commons (more shopping and dining), Scottsdale Airport, and the Fairmont Scottsdale hotel. The 101 highway is about five minutes drive away if you need to travel extended distances.

FYI, this hotel is about 30 minutes drive from Phoenix Sky Harbor airport.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel if you get a great rate, but I would try to book elsewhere if I had to pay the $229/night published rate.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 22, 2010

I am not an expert about the resorts and golf courses in Phoenix/Scottsdale area, but I can certainly say that I was very pleased and impressed with Hyatt Regency at Gainey Ranch. The resort is located in a very good location. It is an open and lovely resort. The rooms are very nice. The food is quite good. In fact I found the quality of breakfast in the restaurant very good. The Regency club is located in a nice area of the resort by the lagoon and very pleasant to sit there.

I was very impressed with the quality of the service and the staff. As a Hyatt Diamond member it certainly exceeded my expectations. A few days before my arrival, I received a call from the Concierge asking if they could help me with any arrangements. Upon arrival my room was ready and in fact I was upgraded to a wonderful suite, without even asking for one. The room was spotless clean, and it was cleaned twice a day. The response time to any request was immediate. Their Golf concierge is excellent. They are very well knowledgeable about almost all golf courses and can make arrangements for you. The golf course associated with the resort is nice. The golf course charges $15 for the entire day for using the range and putting and provides the cart and the clubs. You can take a break and come back again. The spa is excellent with its own swimming pool. The resort is perfect for both couples and families. The swimming pool is large and designed both for adults and families with children. My only criticism is that I found the pool rather cold for my taste during my visit in December of 2010.

The management and staff of this resort deserve enormous credit. I strongly recommend this resort. I hope you enjoy your stay there.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 15, 2010

We have just returned from Hyatt Regency Scottsdale and can't say enough about the staff who helped us. The hotel is a beautiful property, but it was the people who made it special.
We had dinner off site and had the misfortune of having our car broken into. When we returned to the resort to wait for the police to examine the damage, the valet staff helped us clean up the broken glass and put some plastic over the missing window. They also alerted Security and allowed us to park in the garage overnight. Upon hearing of our plight he woman at the front desk gave us breakfast vouchers and was extremely helpful and sympathetic. I could understand their concern and caring treatment had the loss occurred on their property, but it did not. They truly went above and beyond ex[ectedl customer service.
We will most definitely return when we are in the area.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 4, 2010

Stayed for 3 nights in Nov. Purchased as a package deal on orbitz for flight/4 star hotel. Room was good except that it was next to ice machine and had a view of the front of hotel drop off area. We were told no other rooms available unless we paid $$$'s for upgrade-odd for a sun/mon/tues stay. Grrrr...Pool is nice but weather wasn't cooperating. High 60's topped out at 72. Pool was supposed to be heated but was cold the first day and warm mon/tues. Staff was A+ throughout except a few issues with waiter mon night. Happy hour was good but prices very high otherwise. Seems to be an event/business place and was geared to that clientel. Two conventions, a wedding and several seminars were going on during our stay. Parking was easy and free. Hated the 'resort fee' added on at the end of stay on the bill. You don't have a choice so why not just put it on to the room fee? Hotel/spa with golf course next door you can view from the pool. Gondola available after 6pm but we were out for dinner/on town by then and unable to take a ride. Grounds were very very nice but had many ducks wandering around pestering guests for food and leaving poop around outdoor seating. Staff was kept busy making sure grounds were clean as possible. Even had ducks in the pool! lol..Didn't even get a morning (USAToday) paper at the door. Pointed it out to desk when checking out and they took it off 'resort' fee. Also, you need to pay for internet wifi. Room was well cleaned everyday. I was impressed at how often staff came around to make sure we had everything we needed-by far the best service to date at any PHX hotel. Nightly live entertainment was excellent. Lounges were cozy and inviting. Staff throughout resort was 100% friendly and helpful. We felt out of place as a couple with most people there for business/events. W e had no one to converse with at the property. Kids are welcome (there's a slide at the pool) but we only saw one family at the pool in 4 days. We would go back if the price was right and had a better room/view.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank WhirledTravelor
Reviewed November 13, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel twice before and knew what to expect. As always, the rooms were very clean. Excellent valet, dining, and pool service. Everyone in the hotel greeted you and you felt very welcome with exception of the front desk which resembled something of a Motel 6 service level. My bill is still incorrect and I can't get anyone to resolve. (still waiting on a call from in-house Accounting as the front desk has no idea what the $172 charge on my credit card is for). I had to grovel for a late checkout (1 hour) in one of our three rooms. My party arrived on different days and early check-in before 4 was a major request. Be forewarned not to expect anything before the 4pm check-in time. I had the kids stay one night with us to enjoy the pool. They were thrilled. The pool is everything that everyone says it is on this site and probably the main reason to stay at this property. It's minor but, looking back, you may want to ask for a room with a shower, its considerably better than the tub in some of the other rooms.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank carnivalcruiselover
Reviewed November 13, 2010

My wife and I started plotting our return eight nanoseconds after checking out. It's hard to say what was the best part... eating tableside-made guacamole while listening to flamenco music and staring out at the gorgeous courtyard would have to be up there. The pools were huge and seemingly empty (we split the time between the adult and family areas, felt like the family area was just as relaxing). What's nice about the place is that it's luxurious but also really casual... people treat you great whether you're wearing a suit or a ripped Led Zeppelin T-shirt. Canyon Market has great coffee and ice cream, and the prices felt reasonable.

I did not feel nickel and dimed while here, but maybe that's because I was mentally prepared for the daily resort fee ($20). Even with that fee, I feel like staying here was a bargain, maybe because of the "fourth night free" promotion.

And not to wax too poetic about the guacamole, but the stuff they make at SWB is un-freakin'-believable. Seriously, you are missing out if you don't order it at least once while sitting out in the courtyard during the live music.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple