“Wow. Wow. Wow. Superb!”

Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch
Ranked #12 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed September 13, 2010

Business took me to Scottsdale in September, 2010, and I made a reservation at this amazing Hyatt resort after considering many options in the area. I expected a pretty nice hotel based on the pictures on Hyatt's website. Of course, pictures on a hotel's website can be a dangerous game, and I am thrilled to report that the hotel did not disappoint -- it's even more beautiful than the pictures make it seem and, in fact, the property exceeded every expectation not only with its design but its services. This is a truly fantastic hotel, and it was even more fantastic because of the amazing room rate (..the advantage of having to come to Scottsdale in the off-season). I have paid much more money to stay in hotels (including other Hyatts!) that, while fine, nowhere approached the level of quality of this property. Frankly, I would feel comfortable paying at least $200 more than I did for this room given the quality of the facilities and service (and I'm pretty sure the hotel commands that sort of premium during the on-season). This was the sort of hotel that, I did not want to leave, even as it was over 100 degrees outside and the stay was in the midst of tons of business travel.

The room was fantastic -- a roomy space with a king bed that was very comfortable. The rooms all have balconies, and my balcony felt completely private, thanks to the flowering plants, which also shaded the balcony from the Arizona sun. The patio furniture was comfortable, and it was a great place to get some work done with morning coffee before the heat set in. I appreciated that the patio had a screen door that allowed me to let in some of the fresh air without the risk of bugs entering the room. Inside the room, the great work space continued with a large desk with bright lighting and ample plugs. There were also outlets next to the bed and plenty of space on the nightstand for iPod, cell phone, etc. There was also a refrigerator and in-room cofeee maker (I appreciated this, as I sometimes find that these touches are removed at resorts so you buy more). The bathroom was large, with a roomy walk-in shower with an incredible rainshower head. Bath products were Eucaplytus-scented and very nice. The robe was the perfect weight for the Arizona heat.

Best of all was the room's fantastic design -- appropriate for the desert-Southwest, but completely understated. It was thoroughly modern without feeling cold or contrived. A muted color scheme of browns and greens and clean lines everywhere -- truly fantastic -- it felt very modern (without needing to feel "hip"), very elevated, and very Hyatt, all while retaining a locally appropriate charm. There were some design elements I was truly blown away by, from the stylish (and substantial) wooden door (how nice to stay in a hotel without bland, design-less doors!) to the cool desk lamp to the thoughtfully designed shower that featured the temperature control on the opposite wall from the showerhead so that you could turn on the water without having to get wet or get cold before the water heated up!

The great design continued throughout the public spaces of the hotel, which are ample, both inside and out. The hallways are wide and open, with little atriums that look down to the lobby and open staircases. There are multiple restaurants, all of which have great decor. When I rolled in late, I appreciated the 24-hour shop, with sandwiches and gelato. The lobby is very open, especially in the area with the staircase leading down to the bar, and lets in lots of natural light. I loved the various surfaces, from the deep woods to the mosaic tile. There were great places to get work done in the lobby and other public spaces while enjoying the atmosphere of the hotel. Outside, there were multiple courtyards that all offered a slightly different feel, from poolside to one with a lake and creek to a lush green field.

The pool area deserves special mention -- "pool area" feels inadqeuate. It is HUGE, with multiple pools that are well-designed for swimming and sunbathing, a sand pool, waterfalls, and an awesome (...very fast!...) water slide. There's also poolside drink and food service. The pool furniture is stylish, just like the rest of the place. The pools were very quiet during my stay, but during the busy season I can see that the separate adults-only pool would be a welcome retreat.

The resort offered many services I didn't try, like a full-service spa (it was very tempting), tennis, golfing, etc. Outside of what's mentioned above, the only other facility I used was the fitness center, which was very nice and fully-equipped with a great array of cardio equipment, free weights, and weight machines. The small touches continued with lightly-scented chilled towels in the fitness center to help cool you down after a workout.

I had 3 meals at the hotel; all were excellent. I had a business meeting over breakfast in the main restaurant off the lobby; my client enjoyed her food and I loved my smoked salmon on a bagel...fresh and elegantly presented. I had a poolside lunch that was served quickly. I had a dinner meeting with a colleague, and we sat outside and with some trepidation ordered sushi that was thankfully very fresh and of very high quality.

Service was superb all over the resort. Upon check-in, the clerk offered me my choice of room location, which was thoughtful. At the pool, the staff was very happy to open up the water slide for any guest who asked despite the lack of a crowd. The service at the poolside restaurant deserves special mention -- I was brought refills to my iced tea with compliments, without asking. Valet service was polite and speedy, and I was even offered a bottle of water with the hotel's compliments as I left upon check-out.

Wow. Wow. Wow. When do I get to go back? I highly recommend this hotel, whether it be for business or a rejuvinating retreat. Every detail was correct, and best of all was the hotel's gorgeous and thoughtful design. I cannot wait to return.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank brmusicman

Reviewed September 12, 2010

I selected this resort for its positive reviews on both the resort and Spa Avania, which is on the grounds, and my husband and I were not disapointed. Staff at the resort and the spa were genuinely friendly and helpful, prompt, and knowledgeable, without being intrusive.

The rooms were comfortable, with ample amenities and comfortable beds. The only thing that I didn't care for was the shower fixtures. It took me awhile to figure out how to use the shower without scalding myself (I wish that we would get over this obsession with chic hotel bathrooms and understand that function is critical in this area. It annoys me when the plumbing is smarter than I am. - rant over). The resort is well organized, with most of the common areas, restaurants and activities surrounding the central lobby. The gounds were lushly landscaped and gorgeously lit at night. Designated smoking areas outside would be helpful to those who prefer to enjoy a nighttime stroll smoke-free. The pools were large and lovely, and open from 6AM to 1AM. We saw many people enjoying a moonlight swim.

Spa Avania is now among my favorite. The spa offers a variety of features promoting relaxation including steam and sauna rooms, plunge pools, hot tub, and a co-ed spa-only mineral pool. We found the mineral pool to be the perfect temperature. Flavored water, tea, and fruit was readily available. Lunch could be ordered poolside from a limited menu. When my spa experience was over, I didn't have to worry about forgetting any amenity. The locker room had it all, including sunscreen for the chairs at the pool. Service was seamless and professional during spa treatments as it had been throughout our resort experience.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JeanfromBNA
Reviewed September 12, 2010

love Arizona!!!! Although it was CRAZY hot the Hyatt was AMAZING!!!! We have taken several family vacations and this, by far, was one of the best! I have three girls, ages 8, 6 and 3, and we had a blast.
First of all, every morning we woke up to the sound of the waterfalls at the poolside and the beautiful sunrises of Scottsdale. We would walk down to the GEORGEOUS SWB Restaurant and have the most AMAZING breakfast. The first few days, since it was the holiday weekend, they offered a buffet fit for a king! The freshest fruit and breads and the BEST bacon, perfectly crisp every day! Even an omelet station. The rest of our stay we ordered from the menu and it was still so fresh and perfect! The best part was the service. We had a waitress named, Brenda, who was more like a friend then someone serving you. She got to know us on the first day and we asked for her every day after! We loved it!
The Pools are beautiful and clean and there is a 30 foot slide you can go down, SO FUN!!! Also a beach area so the kids could play and stand!
The girls went to Camp Hyatt every morning, had craft time, games and lunch. By 1pm we were able to pick them up and have family time. It was absolutely perfect and relaxing! I loved it!!!! I highly suggest Hyatt Regency Gainey Ranch in Scottsdale, AZ for your family vacation!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 6, 2010

We went to Hyatt Scottsdale over Labor Day Weekend to do a "getaway" - things had been hectic at work and we just wanted to unwind. I had been here before for a work event and having seen the resort had tucked it in my mind for a possible romantic getaway. It was a perfect choice.

First of all the hotel is very stylish and beautifully appointed (in southwestern colors - bronzes, quartzes, oranges) but laid back and friendly enough for families. Rooms- large bed, comfortable patio with plush chairs, big bottles of toiletries & rain showers in the bathrooms. 10 pools were great- though they tended to get bath-tubbish warm in the heat. In 10 pools, I would have liked to have at least one deeper than 4 feet but the sandy beach, spa tub and water slide made up for this. Warning to adults: the pools can get PACKED with kids but its fun and there is also a separate adult pool. There was a fitness center as well - comparable to other hotels and well maintained. At night, the Flamenco / jazz performances were wonderful and romantic to listen to in the lobby. There were lots of couples and families staying and the performances drew many people out to watch.

We splurged a little bit to get the Club upgrade and it was worth it in my opinion. The rooms are the same as others, but there is a club suite which has food, couches, tables and a TV. They had enough food during the day for breakfast, coffee and snacks that I estimate that the club paid for itself. We also had free access to Spa Avania which was a terrific experience. It's a large, serene and very fragrant place with all amenities laid out for you - even things like hairbrushes and extra hairbands. There are 9-headed showers, toiletries, saunas, steam rooms, hot & cold plunges and outside showers. The mineral pool is laid out next to a lotus pond like body of water and feels very decadent. The service was hush hush and impeccable. I didn't get a service but all the women I saw getting services looked glossy and beaming. I would love to come back for a girlfriend getaway.

All in all, a great experience. I'm normally picky and was very grateful that the whole experience was so smooth and hassle free. We will continue to look for deals at the Hyatt for future R&R visits.

Note: there are also gondola rides available that ride over the lagoon surrounding the hotel. This was a waste in my opinion as I kept slapping at flies the whole time and the boat ride just took us around the hotel periphery.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MohitaJ
Reviewed August 30, 2010

I stayed at the Hyatt in Scottsdale for a Travel Agent workshop for 4 nights. The hotel itself is beautiful, the grounds are impeccable, and the staff was very nice. But, there were some issues that I encountered that would keep me from going back. The first and most important was the security charge. At check in, I was told they would be holding $400.00 on my credit card for 4 nights. The man at check in advised this was for hotel "incidentals". This could be a problem for others as it was for me, because I don't use credit cards. I refused to let them hold $400.00 of my money on my debit card, and was given a very hard time. Like most of us, I budgeted spending money for my trip, and it was very upsetting to show up and be told tthat half of my spending money was going to be held for a security deposit. You definately want to check on this before you book this hotel.

The next issue of concern; stolen items from my cosmetic bag. This is a common problem in hotels. They believe that if they take the small items, you will not notice, or you will think you forgot to bring it. I can 100% guarantee you this was not the case. I knew exactly where the items were, because I used them earlier in the day. When I came back that night, they were gone. I did'nt even have to think about if I put them somewhere, I know they were gone. It was reported to the hotel, but rarely do they ever do anything about it when the items of of little value.

The Positives;
Great Fitness room, coffee shop, pool, and lounge areas.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
4  Thank kelleyt
Reviewed August 18, 2010

Stayed for only one night and was very impressed by this resort. We had a flight from Phoenix, so this place was quite close to the airport, so we used it rather than getting a short flight from Tucson to Phoenix and then going home. On arrival we were greeted by a very speedy check in, which is always a great sign. We went to the room, which was spacious and very clean, as was the bathroom! The shower door a little too clean as I walked straight into it!!!! The staff always said hello and had a general politeness about them. I was a little shocked when I asked for some complementary milk and a tea bag and was told to buy some in the shop! Of course I was astounded when I was told this, as there were tea and coffee making facilities in the room, which did contain a single tea bag, but was simply not enough to make two cups from it! However dont let that put you off, because we really enjoyed our one night there and found the surroundings wonderful. We were particularly impressed by the Gondola boats in the evening which take you up to dinner at the Italian restaurant along the lake at the back of the resort. This was a nice touch, just a shame we did not get to use them. Would stay here again because the complex was so nice. Also plenty of shops nearby.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mr_America
Reviewed August 15, 2010

Really enjoyed this hotel. Booked online with the AAA discount and requested two doubles. When we checked in, they only had rooms with one king. That was a drag, but we made the best of it. Breakfast was the best Eggs Benedict I've ever had. Pool areas were clean and fun and not too crowded for a Saturday. I would go back for sure. Room was spotless.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family