“Great New Year's Stay”

Ranked #10 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Houston, Texas
“Great New Year's Stay”
Reviewed January 2, 2007

We just returned from a wonderful stay at the Hyatt Gainey Ranch over New Year's Eve and for the Fiesta Bowl! Only complaint is that the Oklahoma Sooners lost the game!
We would recommend the hotel for anybody looking for a great resort in the Scottsdale area. The staff was wonderful and helpful and the resort was beautiful, plus my husband really thought the beds were comfortable.
We really enjoyed the large fireplaces outside and the smell of pinon in the air. I would say the only complaint was that you couldn't get a seat next to one on New Year's Eve.
There was plenty of activites for childern too. The pool was very impressive and my daughter was able to make a New Year's Eve party hat and picture frame in a craft area they set-up for families and kids.
All in All, great stay! Boomer Sooner!

2 Thank Sooner85

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
Laguna Beach, California
Reviewed December 26, 2006

We have enjoyed this Hyatt in the past for its great location and sandy beach, but sadly, management has allowed the facility to deteriorate to a deplorable state. The open drywall cuts in the lobby ceiling exposed the electrical conduit. We might have missed that given how dark and dank the lobby and hallways. The pool/slide were closed. Our room looked like a dated "Best Western" room with mismatched, tired drapes, no artwork and a tiny old bathroom. The light switch for the room was a makeshift switch hanging from a cheap "armoire". We were shocked and very disappointed. We left and moved to the "Phoenician" and had a fabulous stay. Expedia was very easy to deal with the check-out of the Hyatt and check-in to the Phoenician. I understand from Hyatt management that the hotel is slated for a full remodel in '08...I might try it again then.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Deplorable condition of the Hotel
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay at the Phoenician
9 Thank ValiSoCali
San Diego
Reviewed December 25, 2006

Being a Hyatt Gold Passport member fro 15 years, and spending around 40 nights per year in various Hyatt Hotels all over the world, I feel I know what to expect from a Hyatt resort.
However, this short 3 nights stay at Scottsdale was such a disappointment that I will reconsider where to stay for my next 15 years of travelling.
The resort itself is really nice, several fire places, nice bars, excellent concierge assistance and nice people at the tennis area.
That is nothing but the normal level to expect from a Hyatt resort in Scottsdale....
The room was under standart, the balcony was full of water due to some leaks, the view (I requested nice view room) was over the empty children swimming pool with a piece of mountain view.
And then, the first day we went to the main swimming pool for half an hour. In the evening, one of my kids had his vision troubled for 2 hours, the 4 of us smelled chlorine for the next 24 hours and all our bathing suits lost their colors.......
Some problem with the maintenance of the pool I would say, OK it can happen. However, what is not acceptable is that I still wait to hear from the hotel management after I put a claim over the phone, by e-mail and by fax, the day after all this happened.

They did not even bother to give a call to present some kind of explanation to the insane level of chlorine used in their pool on this day.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — room, room view, level of chlorine in the pool, responsivenss of the hotel
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank Grichka
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed December 11, 2006

My husband's office party was at this resort and so we were excited to stay here as locals in the hopes of a romantic weekend away. The resort is BREATHTAKING...truly something to see!! Unfortunately not much else went well in terms of service. I called the resort directly and was told that we'd have a large room with king size bed, jacuzzi tub and a view...we get there and first we couldn't get the king bed...then we could get a king, but no view and no jacuzzi tub either way...we were left standing there for 20 minutes with no resolution...so we took the double beds with a view since she wasn't giving me any other choice. We asked where the party was, and she had no clue...apparently the golf club has no part of the main hotel...so they have no information about it and you have to have the valet bring back your car so that you can drive over there because although they will take you to shopping and other restaurants...they will not drive you to the golf club on the property!! The next morning I order room service and ask them to please just leave it outside the door and not knock so as not to wake my husband...they not only knocked loudly-they insisted on coming in so that I could sign the check. The rooms are marginal, the service mediocre....the resort is worth having dinner and drinks at though-it is spectacular.

• Liked — It's beyond beautiful!!
  • Disliked — Absolutely no customer service and you expect that when staying at a resort of this caliber
  • Tips/Secrets — dine...have drinks...watch the sunset...but don't stay here
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TravelerM
Beverly Hills, CA
Reviewed November 28, 2006

My family and I stayed at The Hyatt Gainey Ranch over Thanksgiving weekend. The resort was beautiful at first sight. Check-in was simple and our room very basic. Traveling with 2 children we had a standard room with two double beds. The beds were comfortable but small. The bathroom lacking anything special and seemed somewhat worn out. The balaconies are not private at all. You basically share a balcony with your neighbor. Our view was ok with a peek of the golf course. The pool was big and very loud. The kids loved the waterslide. The service at the pool was slow and the pool area was not kept clean. I had to ask several times for our used items to be picked-up and when we returned to the pool area the next day you could see that the the tables and lounges were nicely set-up, but never wiped off. Even the ground was dirty. The Lobby Bar was the best part of the hotel. We enjoyed the entertainment and views. The decor was beautiful. The staff very friendly throughout the resort. Over all it was a nice hotel, but we wouldn't hesitate to try something different on our next trip to Scottsdale.

• Liked — The Lobby Bar
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank MMJJ
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 10, 2006

I spent one night in the Hyatt recently after several at the Westin Kierland. The Hyatt is a lovely, quiet property with a gorgeous pool area and golf course. The overall feel of the Hyatt is quiet, relaxed and understated. The decor is a combination of 90s corporate and southwest.

The rooms are a very nice size, well furnished and appointed (even a clock radio that works with your ipod). The bed was comfortable though not as luxurious as one commonly finds now. My only meal, room service breakfast, was uninspiring. The omelet had a microwaved taste to it and my $5 "fresh squeezed" OJ was in fact OJ from a carton.

The hotel itself had a quiet feel, which I very much appreciated, but the walls between the rooms are very thin, so you should expect to hear your neighbor's tv, as well as doors slamming every time other guests leave their room.

I would stay there again, especially with kids, who would love the pool.

• Liked — Pool
  • Disliked — Thin walls
  • Tips/Secrets — Require hotel to commit to a good view
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Michael4238
Washington, DC
Reviewed November 5, 2006

My friend and I enjoyed our two night stay at the Hyatt. The resort is meticulously maintained and is truly breathtaking. We relaxed, enjoyed our day at the adult pool, by which we also enjoyed our drinks and food. In addition, we ordered room service and took breakfast on the balcony, which was a real treat. We had a nice room, with two balconies, but they did overlook the parking lot, not that either of us cared. My bid was $110 / night, which for the money, we got an exceptional deal. They have ample free parking steps from the hotel. Further, it is a quick drive to a plethora of shopping and dining.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends