“Loved the Lobby Bar”

Ranked #9 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Beverly Hills, CA
“Loved the Lobby Bar”
Reviewed November 28, 2006

My family and I stayed at The Hyatt Gainey Ranch over Thanksgiving weekend. The resort was beautiful at first sight. Check-in was simple and our room very basic. Traveling with 2 children we had a standard room with two double beds. The beds were comfortable but small. The bathroom lacking anything special and seemed somewhat worn out. The balaconies are not private at all. You basically share a balcony with your neighbor. Our view was ok with a peek of the golf course. The pool was big and very loud. The kids loved the waterslide. The service at the pool was slow and the pool area was not kept clean. I had to ask several times for our used items to be picked-up and when we returned to the pool area the next day you could see that the the tables and lounges were nicely set-up, but never wiped off. Even the ground was dirty. The Lobby Bar was the best part of the hotel. We enjoyed the entertainment and views. The decor was beautiful. The staff very friendly throughout the resort. Over all it was a nice hotel, but we wouldn't hesitate to try something different on our next trip to Scottsdale.

• Liked — The Lobby Bar
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank MMJJ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (491)
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 10, 2006

I spent one night in the Hyatt recently after several at the Westin Kierland. The Hyatt is a lovely, quiet property with a gorgeous pool area and golf course. The overall feel of the Hyatt is quiet, relaxed and understated. The decor is a combination of 90s corporate and southwest.

The rooms are a very nice size, well furnished and appointed (even a clock radio that works with your ipod). The bed was comfortable though not as luxurious as one commonly finds now. My only meal, room service breakfast, was uninspiring. The omelet had a microwaved taste to it and my $5 "fresh squeezed" OJ was in fact OJ from a carton.

The hotel itself had a quiet feel, which I very much appreciated, but the walls between the rooms are very thin, so you should expect to hear your neighbor's tv, as well as doors slamming every time other guests leave their room.

I would stay there again, especially with kids, who would love the pool.

• Liked — Pool
  • Disliked — Thin walls
  • Tips/Secrets — Require hotel to commit to a good view
2 Thank Michael4238
Washington, DC
Reviewed November 5, 2006

My friend and I enjoyed our two night stay at the Hyatt. The resort is meticulously maintained and is truly breathtaking. We relaxed, enjoyed our day at the adult pool, by which we also enjoyed our drinks and food. In addition, we ordered room service and took breakfast on the balcony, which was a real treat. We had a nice room, with two balconies, but they did overlook the parking lot, not that either of us cared. My bid was $110 / night, which for the money, we got an exceptional deal. They have ample free parking steps from the hotel. Further, it is a quick drive to a plethora of shopping and dining.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ellen28
Ft. Lauderdale
Reviewed October 17, 2006

I am always put-off when people on this board give bad ratings to great establishments. Just because they didn't get enough towels or was looked at funny by the parking valet doesn't mean a propery deserves 2 stars. I stayed at this fine establishment for a week during mid-October. I snagged it from Priceline for a phenominal $110/nt. The person checking me in was very nice and extremeley friendly (Jason). I was expecting a condescending attitude due to the price I paid, but that was unfounded. I was also expecting an un-desireable room far from the action, but was placed in a very nice one in a great location. I wasn't expecting to be placed in a room overlooking the golf course, but was pleasently surprised that my room overlooked a small garden. The room was spotless and in outstanding shape, as is the entire property. The bathroom was quite large and well appointed. The best part was the water pressure in the shower. The property is gorgeous with views of the mountains. I hadn't dined on-property but the menus looked good. The surrounding area has plenty of restauarants. I was very impressed with this resort and didn't mind paying the $12/day resort fee given that I was provided with free wireless internet in my room.

• Stayed October 2006
8 Thank MarcJordan
Chicago, IL
Reviewed October 15, 2006

Just returned from a long weekend stay at Gainey Ranch for a conference, with a few days of relaxation tacked on at the end. Overall, I’d have to say that the Hyatt is a solid 4-star resort. At my reduced conference rate of approx. $279/night, it was worth every penny. If I had to pay the full $475+ rate, however, I would probably consider splurging for the Four Seasons Scottsdale.

The Property – Common areas particularly, the property was very well maintained. The common areas were rather expansive, with plenty of nice (and comfortable) outdoor seating for morning coffee or evening drinks. The landscaping was very well done throughout the property. The separate adult pool was a great option and a way to get away from the kids at the resort. There was a “Starbucks” on the premises which could do most of the typical Starbucks beverages.

Rooms – My room was very nice with robes and a real hairdryer (not attached to the wall). My favorite amenity was the iHome alarm clock radio! I was able to plug my iPod nano directly into the top of the iHome to charge and play my iPod. It’s about time a resort caught on! The bed was comfortable, but not the best. My particular room (4th floor) was overshadowed by the magnificent view of the golf course and mountains.

Balcony/Security Issue – My room, which was a “preferred view” room, had the largest balcony I’ve ever encountered at a resort. The balcony had a large flowering potted plant, a table and umbrella, two chairs, two chaise lounges and another small table. I do have one significant issue about the balcony, however, in that it was immediately adjacent the room next door’s balcony and there was very little separation between the two. The only separation was a lattice-like “wall” that had about 3 feet between the floor of the balconies and the bottom of the “wall.” I was astonished by how easily one could crawl on the floor from one balcony to the other, accessing the adjacent room. It would have been simple for someone to crawl under the wall onto my balcony and enter my room through my sliding screen or glass door. This was a little unnerving as I was traveling alone. Therefore, if you feel security is a concern, you may want to get a different type of room.

Spa/Workout Facilities – Certainly the highlight of the property for me. The workout room was obviously very recently redone with the latest equipment (including approx. 5 new LifeFitness treadmills with built-in touch screens and flat panel TV’s, as well as new elliptical trainers) – definitely one of the better workout rooms I’ve encountered in the past few years. The spa facilities were fantastic and the services I received were excellent. The spa gardens and co-ed mineral pool were beautiful and relaxing.

Service – Service at the pools was spotty, ranging from excellent one afternoon, to slow the next. I had room service breakfast one morning and the food came hot, and right on time. The front desk staff was always fast and courteous. I checked in at nearly midnight and the front desk staff commented on how tired I must be and he had keys in my hand with a smile in about 90 seconds – very much appreciated that late at night. Room cleaning was the biggest issue I had. The first day I was there, I was literally in my room for a total of about an hour and a half, yet they managed to not clean my room until after 6:00. For the remainder of my stay, however, room cleaning service was better.

• Liked — The spa, workout facilities and views
  • Disliked — Security issue with balcony
  • Tips/Secrets — The sunsets from the preferred view rooms are spectacular, but can just as easliy be seen from the common areas.
5 Thank Attyin99
Duxbury, MA
Reviewed October 8, 2006

I stayed at the Hyatt from October 3rd to October 6th for a conference. After a long trip to Scottsdale from the East Coast, I was happy to encounter a problemless check-in. The staff was courteous and very pleasant. I was given a 4th floor room with a small private balcony which faced the main hotel entryway. The room was small but sufficient for one person and for my needs.

Since I was there for a conference, I didn't spend too much time walking around the property but it is a large lot and well kept (at least those areas that I saw). I had dinner at one of their restaurants called "Vu" one night, and I highly recommend it. The menu is eclectic and may be a turnoff for those who prefer more traditional fare but the food was imaginative and the flavors complex. Prices were high (but so isn't everything else in this resort...it is a resort, you know). I also had drinks in the lobby bar and that was also a nice experience.

The one thing I did take advantage of while I was there was Spa Avania. Do not miss this. I got several treatments while I was there and everything was great. If you go for a treatment, you are free to use the facility for the day! They have a sauna, steam room, cold plunge pool, whirlpool, etc. The best is the shower in the women's locker room...walk into a beautifully tiled private room with mutliple shower heads. You will never want to leave!

All in all, a pleasant stay, with the spa being the best part of it all. I had no issues while I was there so I would recommend to those who are thinking about it.

• Liked — The spa, the spa, the spa
  • Disliked — noise level from lobby bar for those rooms near the entranceway
  • Tips/Secrets — relax...you're on vacation
1 Thank playamongthestars
Toronto
Reviewed October 3, 2006

Great staff, large rooms, clean, excellent golfing, fabulous pool - all in all - a wonderful stay. We had the pleasure of staying in one of the suites with a large (15' x 15') patio overlooking the pools and golf course - if you can swing one of these rooms - then I highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2005, traveled as a couple