“Lovely grounds, friendly staff, great location”

Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch
Ranked #10 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
USA
“Lovely grounds, friendly staff, great location”
Reviewed March 29, 2010

This is a lovely hotel with amazingly beautiful grounds. The different pool areas and lagoons situated near the golf course provide gorgeous scenery. We happened to be fortunate enough to enjoy perfect warm and sunny weather for the February week that we stayed so my son was in the pool every day.
The staff couldn't have been more helpful or friendly and we were upgraded to a room with a quiet location and a lagoon view upon arrival at no extra cost. The room was an adequate size to share with our son, a little tight but definitely liveable. We booked the Regency Club amenities which were convenient especially in the morning - food was adequate, nothing special but plenty of fresh fruit, breads and cereals (nothing hot unless you count using the toaster for bagels). The coffee was good though! In the afternoons they provide rather uninspired snacks such as granola and dried fruit, and the moderately priced self serve bar was on the honor system with sign up sheets for name/room numbers. This seemed a bit unsafe to me since anyone could see your name and room number and copy it on their form. All the Regency Club food offerings were exactly the same every day except for one evening when they had a special chef - it would have been nice to have a little variation! I guess they mostly cater to short stay guests who wouldn't notice :-) The Southwest Bistro restaurant is pretty reasonably priced and the food is good. It's very pleasant to sit outside to dine. The fancier restaurant was okay, probably not worth the extra money though.
We were at the hotel during a quiet time. Judging by other reviews, I think it might be less pleasant to be there with a convention happening - best to check if you are looking for peace and relaxation.
By the way, we found that we got wireless access outside on our balcony so we never needed to pay for that. Also there are two computers in the Regency Club.
The location is great for shopping, restaurants and visiting Old Town (a little depressing - not much to see there except shops with cowboy type apparel and art, lots of closed businesses). I did not go into the mall although it looked nice from the outside - lots of high end shops if that is your thing. You will want to rent a car though or use the hotel shuttle. Park yourself at night to save money.
We took one long day trip to the Wild Animal Park on the way to Sedona. It was pretty amazing! I also attended the Scottsdale Arabian Horse Show which was awesome. The Green Zebra Tomcar trip was fun but the drive to and from was way too long and the cost was too expensive and for those reasons I can't recommend it. Our guide was really nice though. Apparently the best areas that they usually visit were inaccessible due to flooding. If you go, you will get very, very dusty so wear old clothing! The Frank Loyd Wright Taliesin site was well worth the visit.
The reason I took points off for value/rooms is that it is very expensive if you don't get a "deal".

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Flightnurse

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (495)
alabama
Reviewed March 26, 2010

hotel grounds are absoloutly wonderful, but the service, food and noise are not comparable with the suroundings. The convention that I attended has a three year contract beginning this year, but I will be looking for a different place to stay next year. If you must use this property, request a room as far from the lobby as possible, maybe that will be quieter.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Huntsville Alabama
Reviewed March 20, 2010

My husband and I and our two teenage boys returned from a Spring break week at the Gainey Ranch Hyatt. The resort was so beautiful. Our room was quite and everything was perfect. The grounds were well manicured, the staff friendly, and the pools beautiful. I cant say enough good things about this resort. We didnt want to leave. The only bad thing was that we had to leave!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank 500PlacestoSee
Austin, TX
Reviewed March 17, 2010

Beautiful property and a staff that works hard to make every guest's stay perfect.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed March 17, 2010

Wow, am I ever glad I didn't read these recent negative reviews before coming to the Hyatt. We loved our 3 nights here! I've never rated a hotel 5 stars before but this place deserves it and especially since we got an incredible deal with Hotwire. Yes, there was a convention and the bar/band area was hoppin' at night but I never found it intrusive and certainly never heard a thing but maybe that was because our room was on the third floor facing the courtyard. No crowds at check-in or check-out so no complaints there. I agree with all the comments about the beautiful pool area (too bad we weren't able to use the pools much because of the bad weather! -- cool slide though). Mornings were relaxing in the lower sitting area with a coffee and complimentary WSJ, NYTimes, and USA Today. Staff at the Hyatt Kids area were very friendly-- nice idea for kids 10 and under. Internet access was free (typical sign saying "...complimentary so limit time to 15 minutes...") at business centre desktops but maybe that was because of the convention crowd. We loved the bathroom amenities and decor and especially the large "rain" shower head. I would definitely return to this Hyatt !!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank GuinnessGuy
new york
Reviewed March 17, 2010

I recently stayed at the Hyatt Gainey Ranch to get out of the cold weathr and enjoy the sun! I saw great reviews on this site and decided to make a reservation. We had a great time! We landed in PHX in the morning and we had hoped to get in our room early. Their check-in is at 4 so we were grateful that we were able to check in to our room by noon. The front desk even called me on my cell phone to let me know the room was ready! The food was great and grounds were lovely! It seemed that everyone we encountered that worked there were always smiling. The concierge were also very helpful in gathering information for Spring training games since our favorite baseball team was playing nearby. I was happily surprised that my fiance and I were able to get sandwhiches and desserts in the middle of the night at their market they have. We look forward to returning next Spring!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong
Reviewed March 15, 2010

This hotel has beautiful grounds with amazing views and sights. However, the service is not good whatsoever, if it wasn't for the giftshop ladies and the one lady in the restaurant I would of the hated this place.

We had to wait over 3 hours to check in. During that time they never offered us anything or said sorry.

When we went to brunch on sunday they wouldn't seat us, because we did not book a table. When I said that we were not told that we need to book when we checked in the host said that wasn't her problem.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business