“Most Incredible Family Vacation”

Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch
Ranked #9 of 76 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed June 24, 2009

Our family came from Massachusetts, Montreal, and Sedona for a small reunion at Hyatt Gainey Ranch for four night and five days. We are a challenging and picky group, a few of whom work in the hospitality industry.
Our stay was prefect.
We traveled with one person with a mobility disability as well as a one year old and two year old and each of our needs were met with grace and ease. The family pool is even better than the pictures show and can't be beat if you're looking for an afternoon volleyball game or just lounging and ordering great food and drinks. The adult pool was a perfect hideaway for time away from the kids. Poolside dining prices were appropriate and the staff was more than attentive. Dining at SWB was delicious, and we loved the gondola ride on our last night. The rooms were tasteful, clean, and modern. Each staff member we encountered was incredibly friendly and professional.
One Tip: Our room was considered "Regency Level." I would highly recommend this upgrade as the English-style breakfast and appetizers in the evening are well worth it, especially if you are looking to have the ease of complimentary beverages and low-priced self-serve cocktails.
This is, by far, our favorite family location in Scottsdale and we look forward to returning later this summer.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (3,017)

Reviewed June 24, 2009

Upon entry we were greated by the courteous front desk staff, we inquired about upgrading our room for a better view and we were taken around to two or three other rooms which they were offering for $50 extra a night. In the end we decided to just remain with our lake view which was a standard room.

The hotel is very open to the outdoors and natural wildlife. It's located in the massive upscale housing development called Gainey Ranch, about 10 minutes from downtown Scottsdale. There are plenty of activities for families. There are great childrens programs. And quite frankly the best pool of any hotel I've ever. There's an artifical sand beach connecting to the various pools and even a two story waterslide. The landscaping is beautifully manicured and the hotel overlooks the golfcouse with the mountains in the backdrop behind it. The room were closer to those of a four star hotel. The beds weren't as comfortable as most five star hotel I've stayed with and the a/c just never seemed to cool the room as well as it should have with the dry Arizona heat. However the bathroom was large, spacious and seemed to be nicer than the room.

I highly recomend you book this hotel with free breakfast as they have a true five star restaurant downstairs (it's overpriced if you actually pay for it). The package we booked included free breakfast for two days for everyone staying in the room (a total of four people). The breakfast was gourmet and about $20 a person if it's not included.

The Hyatt Gainey Ranch is a great choice for a weekend getaway and has an extremely relaxing atmosphere. Never have I see a hotel which caters to couples as well as families in such a high caliber.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank AGrandFloridian
Reviewed May 26, 2009

Spent a busy 4 day weekend at the Hyatt Regency with a group of about 50 colleagues. Rooms were lovely, different sizes but all with two very comfortable double beds, armchair, balcony (some huge, others not so), fridge, safe, table etc. Bathrooms quite big and with "rain" walk-in showers, although lighting not great in there.

Great cocktails in the main bar, breakfast was good, and always some live entertainment in the lobby area in the evenings. There is a waterslide and beach area around the pools, but not enough sunbeds (we had plenty of room on the grass though).

Great staff all willing to help where they could. Location - buses / taxis required to get into town, about $10 each way in a taxi.

The area is well worth a visit - we went on a cattle drive, flat water river rafting and sampled a few of the live music bars.

• Stayed: May 2009
Reviewed May 25, 2009

We had planned to divide our time in Scottsdale between this hotel and the Arizona Biltmore and the new Montelucia Intercontinental, but we ended up canceling the latter two and stayed the whole time at the Hyatt. The Intercon is nice but on nowhere near the scale of the Hyatt, and we received a rather cool reception at the Biltmore.
The Hyatt 's main plus is its grounds, which are beautiful.
For various reasons we had 3 different rooms whilst we were there. First we had two adjoining rooms, which were of a decent size with a nice little patio; these were nice but a bit of a trek from the lobby etc. We then moved to a casita which was just fantastic. They are located near the pool area and we had a large bedroom with an enormous living room/ dining room/ kitchen. The kitchen had a combi oven/microwave and a Nespresso machine. The contents of the minibar were complimentary. There was also a huge terrace with loungers, table & chairs and umbrella, all overlooking the lake.
Finally, on our return form a sidetrip to the Grand Canyon, we had a Fountain Court suite. This was basically two adjoining rooms with one fitted out as a living room, but it meant we had two full bathrooms which was nice. We were worried about the noise from the live music in the lobby bar below, but it finishes at about 10.30.pm
We would like to commend Brett Ambrose in the Front office for his endless patience with us and his real professonalism.
Our only gripe was that the changing facilities at the pool are way under par.
For eating out, I would recommend the Market Kitchen at the shops at Gainey Ranch 2 minutes from the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 21, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for 9 days in April 2009 and have no major complaints. The hotel has a beautiful pools area, is very clean, and adjoins an excellent private golf course that is open to hotel guests. The service in the lobby bar was typically slow, but we had no other issues. They only had rooms with two double beds our first night and happily accomodated our request to be moved to a King room for the duration of our stay. The hotel also has an excellent assortment of live entertainment in the huge open air lobby bar each evening. Both of our rooms were very large with huge bathrooms and balconies that offered an excellent view. The hotel location is also an attractive feature, located very centrally in Scottsdale and close to many high-end restaurants, golf courses and malls. Self-parking was conviently located beside the hotel so no need for the valet service. I didn't see or hear any of the construction other posts refer to, nor was noise from the lobby bar an issue even though our room was located directly above it.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 19, 2009

I am currently on a little roadtrip in the southwest with a friend from Germany - and the Hyatt was our initial location from May 9th to May 13th. What a wonderful beginning it was!! I came along the Hyatt amongst other Scottsdale locations through a German Travel catalog and based my final choice on the ratings & reviews here at Tripadvisor. Frankly speaking I did not have the highest expectations. But what shall I say? They simply overexceeded every single expectation I had - and that is what good service is about in the end I think. Front Desk, Valet Parking all staff were always kind and helpful. Rooms spacious and spotless clean; great bath with walkin-shower (I really like a good bath). Balcony with nice view, great vicinity, not too far off. The location (lake, mountain view, palm trees) is outstanding; as is the pool area. We really enjoyed that a lot. Additionally a hugh balcony will give you some privacy. The best thing on the location: Even if fully booked it never looked crowded anywhere. Another plus: The hotel seems to be undergoing continouus improvement; for example during our stay they replaced the whole pool furniture. The (small and rather unmportant) downturns from my point of view: Breakfast offered is a little bit too fancy for me. A breakfast buffet would have been better. Valet parking quite expensive; save your money and walk the approx. 500 feet to the parking lot yourself. Beside those admittedly small things - a great stay, I would definitely come back and recommend to friends...

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 14, 2009

I spent a considerable amount of time reading reviews and conducting research to ensure our vacation to Scottsdale May 2 - 6, 2009 (two adult couples) would be fabulous! And I am happy to say it was.

I may have had unrealistic expectations for the Hyatt and I would not say they were fully met, however, I was very satisfied with the overall experience. When I return to Scottsdale on vacation, which I know will happen because I love it there, I will likely go to another resort (the Westin Kierland has appeal to me) to experience something different because I was not absolutely in love with the Hyatt, but I would still recommend it to others.

The Hyatt is in a great location nestled on beautiful grounds. I found the grounds to be very well maintained. From the pool one morning we enjoyed watching men climb up the palm trees in order to trim some of the branches. The lobby area is very open and beautiful. It extends out near the pool complex.

Rooms:
We stayed on the club level in a double room (it is the same size as a non-club level room). It was clean and well appointed but very small. The beds were double size. By the last night we were all very uncomfortable in the beds. They were a little lumpy, and small. The bathroom was very nice but I wish they would have had a vent in there because it would get steamy with the shower and also could have used more lighting. There is a lovely walk in marble shower with plenty of places to store your toiletries. While a staff member brought us a hanging shoe rack for the closet the second day (we did not request, the maid must have noticed our shoes all over the place), we found storage space to be at a premium. There was one drawer, but definitely space to have furnished the room with more. Hotels are much more pleasant to stay in when you can unpack your things in drawers instead of live out of a suitcase, which three of the four of us had to do. I am marking the room at 3 stars because it was too small, lacked storage space and the bathroom needed a fan. The design was great and look was great though.

Regency Club:
I highly recommend having club access. The club area is off the lobby and in what used to be a restaurant so it is very large with nice patio seating around a lagoon/pond. The breakfast offering was delicious! Assorted fresh pastries, fresh fruit, cheese to cut off the block, salmon, cereals, toast/bagels, juices, tea and Starbucks coffee. It was the perfect way to start the day. Beverages and snacks are offered all day long, with appetizers in the evening. We never had the evening appetizers but liked being able to get some water and sodas there throughout the day.

Pool:
It is an impressive pool complex where they boast 10 pools (or some high number) but they are kind of chopped up and do not connect in places. Overall it is kind of hard to get around the pool area as there are all these water filled moats so you can only cross in certain places. I think I would prefer a smaller number of pools but having them larger in size. There are some umbrellas scattered about and a few covered cabana type areas available first come first serve. The adult pool is next to a bar and overlooks the golf course. Elsewhere there are two volleyball nets and a basketball hoop. There is also a slide and many of the kids congregate by the pool that has the sand beach. The pool is open unitl 1 a.m. so you can take a midnight dip if you like. The chairs were a little worn. We rented a float which was very nice. $5 for an hour or $20 all day. We always went off site for lunch so never had any food from the pool grill.

Golf:
The men in our group golfed at Gainey Ranch and really enjoyed themselves. The course was beautiful, they said.

Spa Avania:
My sister and I spent the day at the spa and enjoyed ourselves. It comes at a VERY. HIGH. PRICE. Facials start at $165. They offer seasonal packages that do provide some savings, but still very steep. Then on top of that you have 19% gratuity added to your services. We each did the following:
Facial - $165 (60 minutes)
Desert Bliss Package - $190, including the Avania Signature Wrap (60 minutes) and Manicure (30 minutes)
Combine all this with a $14.50 lunch for each of us and then $135 in sevice charges and our total bill together was $875!!! This made golf look like a steal!

Was it worth it? If I did it all over again I would probably limit myself to selecting one service and still spend the whole day enjoying the spa facilities, which are lovely. The mineral pool (co-ed) was a favorite. They had very comfortable padded chaise lounges and the pool is beautiful and very private and quiet. The separate women's and men's areas also include whirlpools, cold plunge pools (we did this and it was invigorating), outdoor showers, and indoor shower facilities and sauna/steam rooms.

We loved the lunch. Very spa-like menu where you feel you are eating healthy and it was delicious. Great fresh vegetables. The hard part was it tooks us at least 15 minutes to find an attendant to order from (I think they should have staff more present for those using the facilities to address any needs) and then about 30 minutes for it to be delivered and no one found us when it arrived, we noticed it sitting at one of the tables.

There is a snack mix and fresh ice water flavored with different things throughout the day (like lime/lemon and nuts) to enjoy.

Restaurants:
We are serious foodies and spent a lot of time researching restaurants. Following is everywhere we dined with a short synopsis of our experience.

- Delux Burger: Cool joint with great burgers and is not going to break the bank

- Noca: OUR FAVORITE! Located in the same strip mall (everything is in a strip mall) as Delux. No weaknesses anywhere at this restaurant. Inventive menu, amazing food, the most attentive and focused staff and so friendly. LOVED Noca.

- True Food: At the Biltmore Fashion Mall. This place was so fresh feeling and happy and we loved the health-focused menu and offering. A very unique experience and left us wishing we had one in our hometowns.

- Blanco: Very cool modern Mexican place. Great happy hour! Excellent food. My sister claimed the best fajita of her life. This is a Fox Restaurant Group establishment (same as True Food) and we are huge fans of this group. We would eat at any of their restaurants.

- Uncorked Wine Bar - a cool place for drinks and also some great food (loved the flatbreads) as a pre-dinner outing. Only thing is it was a Saturday night and we were one of the only groups there.

- Sweet Republic Ice Cream - inventive flavors and a very friendly staff (the owners I believe). Enjoyable treat.

- Houston's - we love this chain and always eat at them in Boston, Kansas City and San Francisco. Scottsdale did not disappoint. They are a class act.

- Quiessence - Of our whole trip this was by far the most disappointing. The food was delicious but it was overshadowed by very poor service. This at a place where we expected the service to be top notch. The staff lacked passion, attention, the basics really. We expected more, and definitely should have given the price.

Other:
The men hiked Camelback Mountain. They said it was rigorous and not for the novice or out of shape individual, but felt it was well worth their effort and loved the views. Do it early in the morning before it gets too hot.

Weather:
The weather was amazing. When doing leisurely activity (even golfing in the first half of the day) we were all very comfortable and not sweating. The weather was such that you could be outside at 6 a.m., 1 p.m., 5 p.m. and 10 p.m. and be perfectly comfortable.

I loved Scottsdale/Phoenix because everywhere we went it was clean and well kept with one nice looking area after another. There were so many great restaurants to choose from, I realize we just tapped the surface. I can't wait to visit again.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple