“More than wonderful!”

Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch
Ranked #11 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Barrington, Rhode Island
Reviewed September 1, 2004

I really had no idea what I was booking when I chose this resort to stay in because I was looking for the closest place to my daughter and her future inlaws home and this seemed to be the place. I did call days in advance and request a non smoking & QUITE room (my mom was with me and needs it quite) When we arrived at the resort to check in we were 3 hours early and because our room was ready and available, we were allowed to check in then! A+... The room was really perfect for just us and the best part was the balcony where we enjoyed our morning coffee! We both hate a/c and in Rhode Island you can really live without it so we turned it off at night to sleep and just kept the screen door shut onto the balcony....it worked perfect and we had 2 excellent nights sleep. It was quite and the bed comfortable! We were probably the only 2 people in August in AZ sleeping without a/c!! I had read other reviews and heard complaints about the price of the food but hey...your in a 4 star resort....need more be said? We did eat lunch in one of the restaurants and it was very good, the waiter was very friendly and the service good. The girl that works in the small coffee shop in the morning was just the most pleasant person ever! I found the staff very helpful and friendly and even the early morning workers in the pool area were very nice. The place was very clean and we saw firsthand how hard they work every morning to get ready for another busy day and believe me, the place can get busy but with 98+ degree weather....the pool is the place to be! It was hard to find a chair to lay on but even if they had more, they would of been taken....they did have alot, could of used more, but it wasn't more than 5 -10 minutes we did find a lounge chair and it was so hot after 3 minutes you had to get into the water so the chair was not that big of a deal to us. If I had to get really nit-picky and find something to complain about i'de say, change the lighting in the bathroom....it makes you look like your skin's yellow! Out side of that, it was a more than wonderful stay!! Thank you to all the staff and people seen and unseen. GOOD JOB!!

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed August 24, 2004

Stayed at the resort for 5 days with my 2 daughters (7 and 11).

The Not So Good:

Room was not ready at check-in time, so we had a snack at the pool cafe - 2 shakes, 1 beer and an order of fries were $32.00! I'm used to "business/vacation" prices, but even that raised my eyebrows.

The room we were given was very nice overlooking the outside foyer/patio area. However, since that area is always "open air", all those rooms are subjected to the live music until 2:00am. I complained bitterly to the desk clerk at 11:00pm and was grudgingly given another room at the far end of the hotel. Of course, that room had a tremendous view of the 2nd floor roof and I had to move everything myself.

Service at both the pool cafe and restaurant is horribly slow.

If you get to the pool late in the day (after 4:00pm), the towel area is closed and you'd be lucky to find a clean towel.

The Good:

The pools are great for kids and even "private" ones for adults only. All the pools are smallish, so I can see if the place were packed, it would not be a nice experience. The sand pool was a favorite of my kids.

The bellhops and valets are first rate and first class. They remember your name and always offer things to do or places to eat, etc. I never had better service from these front line employees. The Hyatt should commend every one of them.

Same can be said with the concierge as well. They will try to accommodate you if at all possible (one note, though - they will try to steer you to their "preferred" companies so beware). When I insisted on booking with a company I had used in the past, then they stopped pushing and did what I asked.

Overall, it is a very nice resort, but just be aware of other resorts in the immediate area.

Would I stay here again? Yes.

• Stayed: January 2005
5  Thank gbtour

Reviewed June 20, 2004

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 13, 2004

4  Thank Wallaan
Travelers also viewed these Scottsdale hotels
Gainey Suites Hotel
#6 of 75 in Scottsdale
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
The Phoenician, Scottsdale
#21 of 75 in Scottsdale

Been to Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch? Share your experiences!