My husband and I spent several days at this hotel and sadly we were a bit disappointed.
We had booked club rooms but when we arrived we were told they were not available (why didn't they mention this in the emails sent to us in the days before we departed?). We were put in another room which wasn't as good and we were not offered a reduction in price. The first time I've ever been downgraded!!! We paid over $6000 for the hotel so to say we were disappointed is an understatement!
The room we were given was at best average. We had requested a smoking room and we were put in a non smoking room! We were then told we could smoke on the balcony but weren't given an ashtray!
The room needed decorating: there was a large section cut out of the carpet and it had been badly patched. The wallpaper too had been patched rather poorly. The bed was very comfortable and there was a good armchair and table and chairs in the room.
Good sized balcony with no privacy at all. We could see into the neighbouring room and they could see straight into ours. We could also go onto their balcony as the lattice fence separating the rooms was missing a section.
We had requested a room with a view as this was a "special" holiday. We got a room with a view of the tree tops and only the tree tops!!
The bathroom had also seen better days. The wallpaper was peeling some of the bathroom fittings were worn and somewhat tatty. Shower was powerful. Towels ok but bathrobes were washed out and ancient and far too small.
Hairdryer was almost impossible to use as it had a 50cm cable. When plugged in the user had to bend in half to dry hair as the dryer would not reach any further. I asked for a replacement and was given another with a 50cm cable. If I had been a dwarf this would have worked fine!
The hotel gave us coupons for a free breakfast as that was included with the club rooms which we hadn't been given. Unfortunately not all the restaurant staff knew how to use the coupons. Some gave us a free breakfast, some gave us a partly free breakfast and charged us a reduced rate. Some restricted what we could choose to eat whilst others let us select whatever we wanted. It did seem somewhat strange that we had to pay sales tax on a free breakfast!
Dinner was good and we enjoyed both restaurants. We also walked to the restaurants at the end of the road which were very good value.
Sadly we didn't get the free evening canapes and drinks which were included in the price of a club room.
There are a number of pools (some little more than plunge pools) on the resort and these were very nice. Plenty of sun loungers. Unfortunately there seems to be problems with concrete degradation and some areas are being repaired whilst others need repairing. In an area where most buildings are painted soft pinks and sand colours to match the desert it was a shame that the bare grey concrete had been left unpainted. It gave some areas all the charm of an old soviet nuclear bunker.
The gardens were attractive and well maintained and there are lots of lovely birds. Unfortunately the birds do poop on the seats outside and inside as they fly through the lounge area. Check your seat before you sit down, we saw lots of people with stained clothing.
Staff pleasant and friendly.
All in all a disappointing and very expensive stay. I have travelled extensively and usually if a hotel has to move you from the room which you have booked they upgrade you not downgrade you. They usually compensate the guest with a complimentary bottle of wine or champagne. Hyatt do things differently!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set amidst flowering cactus, breathtaking sunsets and framed against the majestic McDowell Mountains, Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa features a 2 1/2-acre "water playground", 27 holes of championship golf, world-class tennis, Spa, the Native American Learning and Environmental Center, an international art collection and four distinctively different restaurants. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hyatt Hotels Corporation, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort And Spa At Gainey Ranch Hotel Scottsdale
- Gainey Ranch
- Hyatt Gainey Ranch Resort