“Unbelievable service, gorgeous grounds”

Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch
Ranked #10 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Unbelievable service, gorgeous grounds”
Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for the weekend after a Friday business trip. I am not sure how they managed to hire so many special people. I have never been to a resort of this size and had zero negative experiences with staff. Every single person had a huge smile with a pleasant greeting from checkin to the pool slide operator. I mean everyone.

Speaking of the pools, they are gorgeous and quite varied. I really loved the sand bottom beach pool. You can pull a chair into the water and relax like it is the Caribbean. I wish my kids were with me to experience it.

The food was great at both the sushi bar and the Italian place.

The entertainment in the main lobby on Friday and Saturday was actually a good enough band that you would consider going to see in your own home town. Really great talent.

The room was spacious, clean, comfortable. I had a lagoon view bottom floor which was nice as you could leave your room through the sliding door and go straight to the pools without going through the lobby.

I also took advantage of the green zebra excursion. It was a great time.

All in all, I can't say enough great stuff about this place. As beautiful as it is, many hotels come up short with their service but this place had service down in spades. Great job!

Can't wait to find a reason to come back.

• Stayed September 2013
TerriB7500, Manager at Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us. We certainly appreciate all of your feedback. We are happy you found our staff accommodating! Thank you again for the kind words. We hope to see you the next time you visit Scottsdale.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (495)
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We had a week's conferences at this stunning resort. Most posters have already mentioned the superb environment and views, beautiful rooms (Casitas highly recommended!), excellent service and very well organised conference center. Kudos to Henry Rhoden for his assistance during our stay last week. Overall a wonderful resort!

Room Tip: Casitas by the pool area are highly recommended
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for the compliments. We are pleased you found your stay with us enjoyable, and our team friendly and helpful. We hope you stay in touch with us on Twitter until your next visit.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I stayed here on a business trip and was quite pleased with my experience. When you check in, the open air lobby makes you feel as though you are checking in to a resort in Mexico. We were told that they offered margaritas upon check in, but we weren't offered any. The hotel offers free self-parking just steps away from the front door, which is nice. The rooms are spaciaous and well appointed. We even had our own private patio! Although we did not have time to experience any of the amenities at the hotel, I can tell that they offer the full range and you could spend your entire stay without leaving the hotel.

The only negative was the service at the hotel lobby bar. We sat down and were not approached by a server for at least 10 minutes. We changed seats and experienced the same thing. Once we did get a server, the service was impeccable, it was the initial waiting that was slightly annoying.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay very much and I would recommend this hotel for anyone.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent business trip. We are so pleased you enjoyed our open air lobby. We certainly appreciate your feedback about our service at Center Stage Bar. We will share your comments with the rest of our team so we can improve!
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I went with a group of friends last night for some drinks, food and entertainment and I have to say the music was absolutely fantastic but the service was terrible. Our group was able to get some great seating by the stage but no one came by to offer us anything to drink or eat for an hour. We attempted to flag down a server and were told someone would be right over. I think an hour is an unacceptable time to wait. Once we were able to get someone to our table they came around more often. Our food and beverage bill was large and I would have been okay with it if we were better attended to. Good thing we had good music to listen to otherwise I'm not sure I would go back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We agree, waiting for service is unacceptable. We extend our sincerest apologies that the high volume of guests caused you an inconvenient wait. We appreciate your feedback and will use it to improve the service we provide.
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Last year (may 2012) we've had a stay at the Hyatt Regency and everything went fine.

We thought we'd have anothe rshort stay on our way to Monument Valley & Moab. So my wife and I booked a Regency club Room with a view.
At check in we asked them to make sure we'de have a nice view because we're very picky with that point.
First, the pond view :
20% pond
30% trees
50% office buildings.
Sorry guys but the view from MY office has an 180° view over the Carribean sea. My house delivers a 160° sea view. What we had there was not even worth a single penny more. Unless you're living in front of a parking lot, you shouldn't be impressed with their "improved views".

Then come the 10 swimming pools. Large water garden packed with so many noisy kids that you actually have to stick to the only adult pool (actually not the best spot during the august heat wave).

Best of all is probably the result of the price slash Hyatt makes in order to attract locals. We actually found out that a very noisy family had two rooms next to us. One on the left of us (with kids) and the other one on the right (with parents and kids). Their favorite game seemed to go from a room to another, shout in the hallway and slam their doors.
I'm glad Hyatt regency supports modest families with broken prices. What I don't quite undertsand is the reason they'll be surrounding a couple (usually looking for quiet). We were like right in between and trust me, the walls are thin.
On the second day, I was trying to work and my wife tried to have a rest in the afternoon. Unfortunately, the guys were so noisy that we couldn't even watch TV. I don't know if they were in some sort of argument or just talking since we don't quite understand spanish. However, we had to call the frontdesk and ask them to find a solution.

Frontdesk said that they'd find us another room (awesome, we're the QUIET people but you guys consider that WE have to move). 1.5 hour later, they called us back saying that they had another room ready for us (1.5 hour in an amot 50% empty resort!). The fact is that they did't even noticed that the noisy family had checked out. So when the frontdesk called back, we told them that we'd stick to our room since everything seemed quiet.

We then left to have dinner and came back to our room only to find out that they've checked in another noisy family and once again that family was surrounding us.
The day after, upon check out, we've mentioned how dissatisfied we were and told the woman that we'd probably avoid the Hyatt regency and opt for The Phoenician instead. She said that a manager would get back to us to find out what went wrong. We're still waiting (actually, we no longer care but I haven't seen an email coming from 'em).

Then we found out that our Regency club bill was on steroids. The few glasses of wine we had there became dozens of glasses. So we asked them to find us the checks we've signed and prove that we've had this many glasses.
Guess what. They couldn't find anything ... So yes, the amount of money they charged was reimbursed (which makes me pay bank fees twice). But this shouldn't happen in a first place.

So would I return there ? If i had 5 noisy kids and uneducated kid, yes but still wanted to get cheap getaway during summer, then yes.

Otherwise, there are so many options out there that I'll certainly avoid this place for ever. Actually, I think I am done with the Hyatt brand.

Room Tip: Couldn't find a good room. Paying a premium for a view was a waste.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us. I appreciate your feedback, although it is not the kind of review we are used to reading. I apologize that you experienced multiple issues during your stay with us. We will certainly address your review with our team and see how we can ensure issues like this do not happen again. Thank you again for your review.
Southern California
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I happened to attend a conference and the staff was very friendly and helpful as well as all food served during the conference was great.

My family enjoyed the pool, with a sand beach and water slide.

Room Tip: There is only one set of elevators, so if you end up in one of the far wings be prepared to walk or...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We built our water playground with all ages in mind and are thrilled you found we have something to offer both children and adults. Thank you so much for the compliments about the food we served during your conference. We appreciate your feedback!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2013

This hotel was paradise. We'd flown in from the UK the day before arriving here and were in need of a comfortable bed and a place to relax while we got over jetlag. That's exactly what we got. Fantastic room, lovely pools and great food on-site. There is even a very friendly member of staff willing to make a coffee for you at 5am. Could not have been more pleased with our stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple